XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cats Shocks - part numbers & where to buy them

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Cats Shocks - part numbers & where to buy them

Hello
Looks like at one time or another posting inquiries about the CATS (Computer Active Technology Suspension)components keep coming up.

The question is usually where can these shock absorbers be purchased.

I did some research today and found the part numbers of these CATS parts and some of the places they are available for sale.

Here is the PDF file I created that has the assocated JEPC pages and the sellers' webpages (contains information on the CATS front & rear shock lower bushings, front & rear CATS shock absorbers for Comfort and Sports modes): Please note that item# 7 listed and shown in Diagram is the non-adaptive shock absorber type.

Jaguar XJ Cats suspension.pdf

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 08-01-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added not about non-adaptive shock absorber
The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
earny (04-25-2017), Geofflvmyjag (03-29-2016)
Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good job , I am sure many owners will benefit from this

The following users liked this post:
Geofflvmyjag (03-29-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default New updated reference list of shock part# & prices

I compiled a new updated excel worksheet with all the X308 shocks Jaguar part numbers (and their Bilstein part numbers) along with some price comparisons - Parts Geek and Advance Auto Parts.

Click on the attached Excel file attachment:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...rence-list.xls

Coventrywood (04-04-2018)
Old 10-15-2016, 11:09 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi
I want to convert the CATS shocks on my car to normal gas shocks, because on my last car I install KYB with very good results I want to try also on my JAG
For the rear I have this European part number 555008, for the front I found this 554114.
The rear shocks are also in the KYB catalogue for this car but the front shocks I found the code on a special program for auto shop who sell spare parts.
When I put the Bilstein code he show me as alternative KYB 554114.
Before to order all the shocks I will check if the front will fit.
I want to use on all wheel KYB.
The price is good for KYB, about 75 USD each

front http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-Shock-Ab...4AAOSwFV9XxR2J
Rear http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATZ-2x-KYB-...oAAOSw5dNWl4mj

Last edited by gabrielbecheanu; 10-15-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Touring CATS

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hello
Looks like at one time or another posting inquiries about the CATS (Computer Active Technology Suspension)components keep coming up.

The question is usually where can these shock absorbers be purchased.

I did some research today and found the part numbers of these CATS parts and some of the places they are available for sale.

Here is the PDF file I created that has the assocated JEPC pages and the sellers' webpages (contains information on the CATS front & rear shock lower bushings, front & rear CATS shock absorbers for Comfort and Sports modes): Please note that item# 7 listed and shown in Diagram is the non-adaptive shock absorber type.

Attachment 11749

Jim Lombardi
hello , was curious as to if you know where i could get any of the touring cats suspension ? I havnt been able to find any anywhere , and as I have read it , the super v8s have what is known as touring tuned cats suspension as opposed to the comfort or the sport. Any input you may have would be gratefully appreciated .Thanks in advanced !

Old 04-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Bilstein Catalog below :

See page 16

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BilsteinAppGuide308.pdf (2.89 MB, 731 views)

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 04-01-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 97xj6lucy
hello , was curious as to if you know where i could get any of the touring cats suspension ? I havnt been able to find any anywhere , and as I have read it , the super v8s have what is known as touring tuned cats suspension as opposed to the comfort or the sport. Any input you may have would be gratefully appreciated .Thanks in advanced !
I went through this last year with my CATS touring suspension. I'm close to Bilstein, actually toured their manufacturing and R&D facilities last year. Even with internal help it was a challenge to find much on these shocks as well as any inventory. From what I gathered here and other places, most ditch the CATS as they are hard to find and not cheap at $350/piece.

The best answer I got from them (mfg not sales side) was to send them out to be rebuilt at the aftermarket and motorsports group in Ca. Was told $150/each and 6 weeks-with some arm-twisting. Half the price of new and may be easier. If you go this way I still have an extra set of CATS in garage to minimize down time.

I'll make a call to them and see if they know where some can be found. When I looked some stores showed them but of course non had in stock and response was weeks at minimum. Maybe its changed

Old 04-04-2018, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Col. Sandurz
I went through this last year with my CATS touring suspension. I'm close to Bilstein, actually toured their manufacturing and R&D facilities last year. Even with internal help it was a challenge to find much on these shocks as well as any inventory. From what I gathered here and other places, most ditch the CATS as they are hard to find and not cheap at $350/piece.

The best answer I got from them (mfg not sales side) was to send them out to be rebuilt at the aftermarket and motorsports group in Ca. Was told $150/each and 6 weeks-with some arm-twisting. Half the price of new and may be easier. If you go this way I still have an extra set of CATS in garage to minimize down time.

I'll make a call to them and see if they know where some can be found. When I looked some stores showed them but of course non had in stock and response was weeks at minimum. Maybe its changed
I greatly appreciate your input , were are you located ?? I live in the states and these cars are pretty rare over hear from what I understand , only being offered as a supercharged vanden plas for the first 4 years before switching to the super v8 badge in 02. So with that being said I would love to keep the car as original as possible , thus I've been pulling my dang hair out trying to figure out where to acquire these dang things . The ones on the car aren't really bad but I was just thinking of replacing to tighten everything up. Ive decided to go with just replacing the bushings and such for now to see how that helps. Now that you've mentioned the rebuild option, I would love more information on that for future reference. That seems like the best way to go if one would happen to go out . Thanks again for your help , and would love to hear about rebuilding and who could accomplish that. Happy Jagging

Old 04-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

See link:

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/techn...ledge/service/

Rebuild quoted as $160. Still half price of new if you can get them.
I have a note into a couple people on the inside and awaiting response.

The following 2 users liked this post by Col. Sandurz:
Coventrywood (04-04-2018), Johnny_B (04-05-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Col. Sandurz
See link:

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/techn...ledge/service/

Rebuild quoted as $160. Still half price of new if you can get them.
I have a note into a couple people on the inside and awaiting response.
That's a relief , and exactly what I was hoping for. I never thought it to be possible I guess. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to suspension.
Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-04-2018, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Jim, you are a great asset to this community kudos sir !

Old 04-05-2018, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

There are DIY rebuild them yourself kits from Bilstein in order to revalve them and videos . Not sure of the specific part number as they reference a 7100 series and if the X300 and X308 shocks are in this series . This would further reduce your down time with respect to shipping the originals somewhere . The safety concern is to remove the gas charge before disassembly .And you can probably find a motorcycle shop with a shrader valve fitting to charge them back up to the unweight loaded value of 180 - 200 PSI .

See attached file at the very bottom.

If you are to go this route make sure you post your part numbers and tips that you learn for us . I have the X300 and it may be the same part numbers as the X308 . This would address a often neglected item and sometimes cost prohibitive item important to the Jaguar's ride .

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-b4kt0y019a00

https://www.carid.com/images/bilstei...cal-manual.pdf

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
bsn-ak7108r.pdf (109.1 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 04-05-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Johnny_B (04-05-2018)
Old 02-20-2021, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
I compiled a new updated excel worksheet with all the X308 shocks Jaguar part numbers (and their Bilstein part numbers) along with some price comparisons - Parts Geek and Advance Auto Parts.

Click on the attached Excel file attachment:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...rence-list.xls
Hi Jim,
I am new here and trying to send you a message as you seem to be a top expert on Jaguars.
My 2001 JAGUAR XJ8 VDP X308 need to change all 4 shocks with bushes. My understanding, the right way to go is with Bilstein brand.
Do you happen to know the right place to purchase with correct item number and all parts needed.
Better choose standard or sport suspension?
Shock mount & Spring Upper Insulator (Big Donut Bush),must be changed too?
Thank you so much in advance for your help and expertise.
Cheers,
Michelle

Old 02-20-2021, 08:57 PM
Wink 2001 JAGUAR XJ8 VDP X308 Shocks replacement

I am a new here, not sure where is the most effective place to post and how to communicate directly with someone...

My Dear Jaguar Friends,

My 2001 JAGUAR XJ8 VDP X308 has a couple of issues to be fixed.
The first one, is to change all 4 shocks with bushes. My understanding, the right way to go is with Bilstein brand.

Could anyone be kind to indicate me to the right place to purchase with correct item number and all parts needed.
Also, recommend if better to choose standard or sport suspension?
Is it better to change completely the plate shock mount?
What about the Spring Upper Insulator (Big Donut Bush), better to change and where to get?

Thank you so much in advance for your help and support.
Cheers,
Michelle

Old 02-20-2021, 09:42 PM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Michelle Silvertone + VDP
I am a new here, not sure where is the most effective place to post and how to communicate directly with someone...

My Dear Jaguar Friends,

My 2001 JAGUAR XJ8 VDP X308 has a couple of issues to be fixed.
The first one, is to change all 4 shocks with bushes. My understanding, the right way to go is with Bilstein brand.

Could anyone be kind to indicate me to the right place to purchase with correct item number and all parts needed.
Also, recommend if better to choose standard or sport suspension?
Is it better to change completely the plate shock mount?
What about the Spring Upper Insulator (Big Donut Bush), better to change and where to get?

Thank you so much in advance for your help and support.
Cheers,
Michelle
Get oem shocks I tried kyb and bilstein they're not good as the oem . You can buy 4 used shocks from eBay for about 150$ or less . For the bushes use rock Auto

Old 02-20-2021, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 971 Likes on 770 Posts

If you get new shocks, KYB isn’t bad. If you want the best, Bilstein is what you want. I would personally get the shocks for what suspension you have. Comfort suspension needs comfort shocks, sport suspension gets the sports shocks but it is your car. For the rear upper shock mounts, you will most definitely want Jaguar oem as the aftermarket ones are marshmallows to me and garbage. eBay has the best price on oem bushings. If you get Bilstein shocks, some of them will come with 2 out of 3 bushings. Rock auto is the go to place for most of the parts for your car.

Greetings from Jacksonville.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:33 PM

Thank you for the tip on where to get the bushes. Where can get the OEM? and how to get the exact part number? In fact I would like to use the same exact one that the car came with when new. But how and where to order with exact correct specification? Thank you! Michelle

Old 02-20-2021, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
If you get new shocks, KYB isn’t bad. If you want the best, Bilstein is what you want. I would personally get the shocks for what suspension you have. Comfort suspension needs comfort shocks, sport suspension gets the sports shocks but it is your car. For the rear upper shock mounts, you will most definitely want Jaguar oem as the aftermarket ones are marshmallows to me and garbage. eBay has the best price on oem bushings. If you get Bilstein shocks, some of them will come with 2 out of 3 bushings. Rock auto is the go to place for most of the parts for your car.

Greetings from Jacksonville.
Thank you, I assume that for Vanden Plas should be standard comfort instead of sport maybe more for the XJR...
For the bushing OEM whet is the brand to search for? Thank you again for your help. Michelle

Old 02-21-2021, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 971 Likes on 770 Posts

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

OEM means that it’s sold by the dealership or in some cases by the manufacturer who in turns made the part specifically for our cars when it was sold new. Example: Denso was the manufacturer of our electronics in the jags when they were new. From and to what years, that I don’t know.

Rear upper shock mounts. The large donut. I bought this part from this seller. This listing is for 1 side only. You will need 2. OEM Jaguar.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/351068240851

This listing is for the topmost bushing. This listing is for 1 side only. You will need 2. OEM Jaguar.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154288755885

This listing is for a pair (2) of the rear upper shock bushings. OEM Jaguar.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284049952202

Be aware that depending on what shocks, (if you will get them) they may come with 2 out of the 3 bushings. Just do your homework to determine if they come with them or not.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:32 AM

Thank you Addicted2boost!
I deeply appreciate your time to send the proper links and the detailed explanation.
I am now searching online front & rear standard comfort bilstein to come with bushing and top nuts, as I heard that some might not come with nuts.
Again thank you Much!
Michelle