XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Passenger side rear brake light not working, already replaced bulb

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

Good news, I cleaned the board and connections with some de-ox and the problem seems solved

Old 05-03-2015, 02:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break lights not working

I have checked everything including:break light switch, lamps, fuses, relays, control box but all three break lights will not work. Seems like no 12 v feed to the harness connected to the break light switch. I think there might be some wiring issues. Can anyone please advise.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Unhappy Help me please!!!

HI All,

I need help.
My transistor Q11 is drop out and I want to know what is written on it.

Regards
Jerry

Attached Thumbnails  Passenger side rear brake light not working, already replaced bulb-70173d1390586688-passenger-side-rear-brake-light-not-working-already-replaced-bulb-slcm-photo-ci.jpg  
Old 09-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Default SLCM replacement

SLCM replacement with exactly the same part numbers and VCATS; I was told it should/would work, however that didn't work does anyone know about reprogramming or any other solution or cause?

Old 09-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Hi, I have the same problem discussed in SLCM posts; I checked for wiring problems and did not visually see any bad wires, I of course checked fuses and relays, so I proceeded to the SLCM which was fried; by the way my car is a 2002 XJ8 Vnp; So I found one on Ebay with the same VCATS and 008 security code but I still do not have right brake light, however one side of the dual filament on the right side does light up, and I also do not have tail lights. do you have any idea? Or is their any additional programing needed; my key pad does work when I did the light switch program. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by lzarc1; 09-10-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: remove name to make more general
Old 03-24-2017, 08:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently posted a new thread on this issue because my passenger side brake light doesn't work thought it was a bulb etc. After reading all the posts fixes and other problems and as much as I love my Jag and the ones I have owned before this one I have one question what were they smoking when they designed this system? I can understand the flashes being wired into the security system but can't figure out the reasoning to run the brake lights thru the security SLCM. Since the first day I got my first day everyone said you do not want a Jag they have the worse electrical systems ever! I have had three and this is the first one that had any issues aside from regular maintenance. I'll be searching other threads for other suggestions but I will be popping the SLCM out and cleaning contacts checking for bad solder joints and wires. So far I haven't been able to do much seeing this car is my daily driver and I leave the house early and come home late! I would like to thank everyone for their input here, on my thread and the others I have been pulling up and bookmarking. I hope some time in the near future the forum can make a single thread with the best repair ideas it would make it a bit easier.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default I Replaced the Driver Chip Myself

Today is 4/21/18. I had the "Check Rear Lights" error and no passenger-side brake light on my 2003 X308.

I bought a pack of three of the Infineon/Siemens high-side driver chips (SMD mount) from Mouser Electronics (one for use with the passenger-side brake light and two for spares). They were only $2.91 each (plus shipping). Mouser still has thousands.

Removing the SLCM board was straight-forward and easy; just refer to Jim Lombardi's photos, pull an outdoor chair up to you bumper to sit and relax during the process. A few simple hand tools are all you need.

Removing the driver chip from the SLCM board was just as straight-forward: heat each leg of the chip with the tip of the soldering iron and lift the four legs one at a time (using a sharp, curved soldering tool), then heat the tab for a couple of seconds while pulling with needle-nose pliers (wear eye protection). Use a clean, well-tinned soldering tip, especially for the tab.

Soldering the new chip back in is just as easy: make sure the circuit board pads have a little solder tinned onto them (not too much) with a little rosin on top (including the tab pad). Ensure the new chip is exactly centered on the pads then tack and wick each leg. Add a little more tinning to your soldering tip for heating and pushing down on the tab while applying pressure to the chip body with some other push-down tool. Clean the area with electronics cleaner.

There, you're done. Re-assembly is the reverse of removal. Pat yourself on the back for saving the cost of a $950 circuit board plus the $300+ dollars to have a new board re-programmed and installed.

Last edited by jagman40207; 04-21-2018 at 05:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jagman40207:
Jhartz (04-22-2018), johnro6659 (04-22-2018), motorcarman (04-21-2018), Salomon5230 (09-12-2021)
Old 01-21-2020, 03:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S-type RH brake light

I had broken bulb and blown 10 A fuse. This blown fuse caused tail light on the RH side to be dimmer than LH. S-type has 2 brake bulbs/side. Fuse only affects the outer one, seems to be dead. Brake bulb fail text on the dash.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.hey Jack looks like I may be in need of your skill set.there was a time.I had great eyesight and could manage a task like this but now at 72 I am just about blind in one eye and could barely see out the other. I was able to remove the SCLM out of my 96 x300 with apparently the same issue. If you are free and willing to tackle my situation, There is $50 in it for your labor in addition to the cost for the parts.. Just respond with details on where to send my part and cost of components as best as you can estimate and I am ready to ship to you..
Thank you Jack for your great posting.
Andy F.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:03 PM

Hi Jagman,

Writing from Denmark.

I have the exact same symptom on my 2002 X308, ie. "check rear light" and no function of the right (passenger) side brake light. Have found that the voltage to the bulb, is 4V instead of 12V when I press the brake pedal. Exposed the SLCM and found on the out-put to the brake light (pin #3) low voltage (4V) also. Harnes (BT) intact. So, I think I will need to change "high-side driver chip" as described by you.

It would be very helpful, if you could you tell me:
1) where the chip is located on the circuit board?
2) the mouser part number on the chip?

Kind regards
Søren

Last edited by GGG; 09-13-2021 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Automatically locked for moderation - unlocked
Old 03-24-2023, 01:28 PM
Default Jag fix

Originally Posted by jackshaheen
Dave, that is the correct part number however they can come in three different package styles (standard, straight leads and SMD).
You want the one in the SMD package style.

Hope that helps you

Jack
Jack are you still repairing these security modules ?

Old 09-12-2023, 04:30 PM

If any of you guys have this problem and you are sure its your module AND you don't feel comfortable soldering a new chip on the board then if you will pay shipping both ways and for the part(s) I will fix it for nothing or maybe a small fee (more likely nothing - kinda fun to do since all we do now as techs is module swap).

Cheers
are you still fixing the modules?

Old 09-13-2023, 05:56 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbolt
are you still fixing the modules?
Hello. Yes and no. I can fix your module however I would have to get the parts and I have no way to test your module since my Jag was given to my son and he sold it after owning it for many years. He needed the garage space.
So the short answer is yes I can fix it however would have to get the parts needed.

Jack

Old 09-13-2023, 01:33 PM

Hello. Yes and no. I can fix your module however I would have to get the parts and I have no way to test your module since my Jag was given to my son and he sold it after owning it for many years. He needed the garage space.
So the short answer is yes I can fix it however would have to get the parts needed.

Jack
I’d to get it repaired.What do we do next?

Old 09-14-2023, 10:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A few questions I need to ask you first.

1. What is the year and model of your Jag?

2. Can your remove the module yourself?

3. What is wrong with your module? Some rear lights (like brake lights) not working?

Old 09-14-2023, 02:52 PM

A few questions I need to ask you first.

1. What is the year and model of your Jag?

2. Can your remove the module yourself?

3. What is wrong with your module? Some rear lights (like brake lights) not working?
2000 xj8.I believe I can remove it.The left rear brake(driver side) light is not working.