XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1993 XJ6 Fuel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 XJ6 Fuel Problems

Car has not been driven in while (1993 XJ6 Sovereign). Start at least once a week to clear out carbon/oil (leaky valve seals that will cause to smoke when start after sitting a whille) and drive back and forth a few feet to cut grass. Last week it would start but not accelerate, would sputter and stall if you pushed it too long, but would continue to start and idle. I replaced fuel filter to see if culprit. No help. Now it has started to not start at all. Do I run out and buy fuel pressure gauge and start testing there? Any ideas suggestions? I had my fuel pump replaced a few years ago, so was trying not to focus on it as problem.

Already changed fuel filter, poured dry gas and injector cleaner into tank

Old 06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Is the car garaged ? These cars have a top-located fuel filler, and this is drained via a tube that can get blocked. If this happens water can get into the fuel, and as fuel is lighter than water, the water collects at the bottom of the tank and is picked up by the pump. You don't drive the car much so the water can gradually accumulate over the months.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

You won't have a convenient place to connect the gauge, and likely don't need one. Disconnect the feed hose coupling at the back of the fuel rail and check for fuel with the key on (2 sec). If you are getting fuel, and collect it in a clean glass jar, let it sit and look for water/ fuel separation.

The jar will be empty.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Default thanks will try this

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
You won't have a convenient place to connect the gauge, and likely don't need one. Disconnect the feed hose coupling at the back of the fuel rail and check for fuel with the key on (2 sec). If you are getting fuel, and collect it in a clean glass jar, let it sit and look for water/ fuel separation.

The jar will be empty.
Will try this. My Fuel Cutoff Inertia Switch would not have been triggered from just changing the fuel filter would it? I have been having difficulty locating it on this 1993 Sovereign to check. Need to load up the CD Service Manual to see where is really located.

It has not been garaged for about a year now, my wife's SMART took over the garage space it once occuppied. I had found water in my trunk at least once from sitting outside (weatherstripping must be breaking down some). That is one reason I added the dry gas as a precaution, but the cap seals well, lots of pressure discharge when I opened cap before changing fuel filter).

Old 06-30-2010, 07:55 AM

I thought of that as a possibilty, one reason I tossed in a couple bottles of dry gas. It did have good seal as lot of pressure released when opened gas cap just before I changed fuel filter. I may use my five gallon container and transfer some premium fuel into it to recharge the gas with some fresh gas and change any mix I might have.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Default Still fighting 93-XJ6-Fuel-Problems

OK, I have added injector cleaner, another 5 gallons of Premium, fuel stabilizer, changed fuel filter. I started the car with starter fuel and managed to get it to idle again. Actually had it idle for one hour, until I tried to give it some throttle where it sputtered out and now cant seem to get it to idle again more than five minutes max. I did notice the fuel pump relay on the firewall/bulkhead clicking alot. Also hear clicking some where near passenger tail light and electrical whirl noise behind battery (fuel pump itself?). I took a video with sound of the trunk (clicking noises) and the engine idling and attempting to accelerate. If this helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp-qis6xhRk

Cant seem to find problem, I don't know what to do at this point other than tow to Jag Mechanic.

Any ideas?

Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Im not sure but how many rpm was it idling at (it sounds high) as if it didnt come down after it warmed up(cold staart mode not shutting off). Also make sure throttle body is clean and re install air filter.Check to make sure all vacuum lines are on (no leaking)

Old 08-25-2010, 05:38 AM
Default Still fighting 93-XJ6-Fuel-Problems - pumps if bypass relay

Replaced fuel filter, replaced MAF Meter, replaced fuel pump relay at firewall and in trunk, pulled fuel feed at rail, no gas when turn key on (new relay clicks) or crank, however, when pull relay at firewall and jump with paper clip fuel pumps great. So has to be electrical some where. Replaced all fuel related fuses in boxes at each door. I just replaced both relays with new ones so dont suspect them. Any ideas? This must be electrical as if I jump the relay I get fuel pumped to rail.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:32 PM

Get a schematic of the circuit that contains that specific relay and check your power and circuit grounds!

Old 03-21-2020, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Necropost ....ten years later mate!

Larry

The following 2 users liked this post by Lawrence:
Don B (03-21-2020), motorcarman (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 12:47 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by pilot21244
Get a schematic of the circuit that contains that specific relay and check your power and circuit grounds!
Hello pilot21244,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

As Larry has noted, the thread to which you replied has had no activity since 2010. The dates posts are made are shown in their header.

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don