XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Hello Jaguar Fam I need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello Jaguar Fam I need help

Hello all
I recently purchased my 94 XJ6 Jag. This morning I started my car and let it run for about 10 min or so, The car shut off. When I got in the car to re-start and take it for a quick spin it just shut off. A friend said that I should let it cool off; so I did for a few hours, When I then later tried to to start the car and it would not start. Any advice?

Old 07-10-2014, 12:24 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum candyapple,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center to XJ40 forum. The Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center is for posts about the forum and not for technical questions. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by candyapple
Hello all
I recently purchased my 94 XJ6 Jag. This morning I started my car and let it run for about 10 min or so, The car shut off. When I got in the car to re-start and take it for a quick spin it just shut off. A friend said that I should let it cool off; so I did for a few hours, When I then later tried to to start the car and it would not start. Any advice?
Hi candyapple,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you are having starting issues with your '94. A little more information will help us help you. First of all, when you try to start the car, does the engine crank, but not start, or will it not crank at all? If the engine cranks but will not start, does the tachometer show about 200 rpm while cranking, or does it show 0 rpm?

Please let us know and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
candyapple (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Default Starter trouble 94 XJ6

Good Questions and thanks Don

The car does crank but does not start and the meter stays at 0 Rpm

Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Default Starter trouble 94 XJ6

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi candyapple,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you are having starting issues with your '94. A little more information will help us help you. First of all, when you try to start the car, does the engine crank, but not start, or will it not crank at all? If the engine cranks but will not start, does the tachometer show about 200 rpm while cranking, or does it show 0 rpm?

Please let us know and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

Don
Thank You
I am trying to get the hang of this. To answer your questions, the car does crank but won't start and the tachometer stays on 0. I appreciate any feedback

Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 PM

Good Questions and thanks Don

The car does crank but does not start and the meter stays at 0 Rpm

Hi candyapple,

That is great news because when the tach reads 0 rpm while cranking, it's a classic symptom of failure of the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) or a problem with the CPS wiring harness. This is a very common issue and one that is usually solved by replacing the CPS, but first check the wiring harness for damage and the electrical connector for oil contamination or pins that have backed out of the connector housing and are no longer making contact.

A replacement CPS is not terribly expensive and is commonly available from the good independent Jaguar parts suppliers such as SNG Barratt, Coventry West and Welsh Enterprises, etc., and you can also get one from most of the major auto parts chains like O'Reilly, NAPA, AutoZone, etc., and online parts houses like Rock Auto and Parts Geek. The last time I needed one fast, the local O'Reilly was able to get one in less than 24 hours, but I paid more than I would have if I had had time to shop around. The really sad thing was that I already had a spare CPS, but it had been inadvertently left at home, 6 hours away. That's why it's prudent to keep a spare in your trunk!

The CPS is mounted on the front of the engine, above and a little to the right of the crankshaft (right when viewed from the driver's seat). Its electrical harness runs up toward the distributor cap where the connector is fastened to a bracket on the front of the engine. The sensor is fixed to its bracket above the crankshaft by one 8mm hex-head screw. It is easiest to access by leaning over the right front fender/wing, using a 1/4" ratchet and 8mm socket. A 3/8" ratchet may work, but you'll have even less room to swing its handle. Do your work while the engine is cool because you have to work in the space between the engine and radiator fans, and you have to reach around the upper radiator hose which can be hot enough to burn you if the engine has been running recently.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 07-10-2014 at 11:00 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (07-11-2014), MidwestJag (07-11-2014), Rob Evenson (07-29-2014), SNG Barratt USA (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Listen to Don, candyapple. He speaks Truth.

And welcome aboard!
Scott

The following users liked this post:
93SB (07-11-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 AM
Default 94xj6

Thanks Don

I appreciate the advice. it was very helpful. Here is the update, I purchased and installed the CPS, the car did turn over twice but has not turned over again. As I re-read your instructions I realized that I did not check the wiring harness. is that still an option or do I need to do something else?

Thanks
Candyapple

Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Another common fault would be the FUEL PUMP.

Relay to check is mounted at the right rear tail lamp area.
(Blue HELLA relays are known to be faulty)

bob gauff

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (07-29-2014), Rob Evenson (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM

Thanks Don

I appreciate the advice. it was very helpful. Here is the update, I purchased and installed the CPS, the car did turn over twice but has not turned over again. As I re-read your instructions I realized that I did not check the wiring harness. is that still an option or do I need to do something else?

Thanks
Candyapple
Hi Candyapple,

If the engine was cranking but will no longer crank, I would first suspect that the battery has been drained. Have you tried recharging the battery, or boosting/jumping the car with another vehicle? In my experience, if you boost an XJ40, you will often need to run the engine in the boosting vehicle and allow the XJ40 battery to charge for at least 10-15 minutes before the engine will crank.

Along the lines of Bob's suggestion that the fuel pump or relay may be at fault, here is a link to an excellent Fuel Pump Circuit Test Procedure for '93/'94 cars from Bryan N at the Jag-Lovers forum:

JagFORUM Logon

Please keep us informed!

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (08-04-2014), Rob Evenson (07-29-2014)