XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

I just bought this car... Should I be regretting it

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just bought this car... Should I be regretting it

Hello everyone, I just bought a 1988 3.6 sovereign for $1100... So far so good. But it's only done around 200kms in the last 4 years, I drove it home yesterday a casual 1200kms) and it was actually pretty good, I burst a water hose which I managed to patch up, and the rubber tailshaft coupling practically disintegrated which slowed me down to about 100kmph due to the shudder, I ordered a new one today so that should be an easy fix. I also serviced the car today and changed the rear pads (as advised by the dashboard warnings), the only warning I have now is a low brake fluid warning, which I can't understand because the reservoir is full and it's not leaking out anywhere. Anyone else had this problem?
The other thing I need to sort out is the blower inside the cab, it lights up with all the other electrics but it doesn't make any sounds if I twist anything or push any buttons on it, it's not any of the fuses as I have checked those, is there a solenoid anywhere? I can't locate one and I really don't want to pull the dash apart if there's an easy fix somewhere else, anyway I hope someone can help me out, I have to go and put a towel down under the car because it leaks too much oil haha.. Here's a picture of the new toy

Attached Thumbnails I just bought this car... Should I be regretting it-image.jpg  
Old 08-03-2013, 05:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Mark,

It's quite a few years since I had an XJ40 but I do recall the heater blower motors have isolation relays inside and these are known to fail.

Someone with more recent knowledge (or a better memory than me!) will be able to give you the details.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 AM

Ok brilliant, I'll have to get the blower motor out tomorrow then, do you know if the solonoids are fixable? Can they be soldered or is it a case of replacing them? Thanks, mark

Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Mark,

I replaced the solenoids in mine. Never considered trying to repair them.

We seem to be low on XJ40 experts logged on today so I've had a look for an information source on this topic for you. There's a good section on the Heating and A/C systems in the Haynes Repair Manual for the XJ40. You can download this as a PDF from the forum MediaFire account. Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hx8bttsy4kxxr

Graham

Old 08-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Your low fluid warning is likely to be a duff accumulator sphere, at least mine was.

Red light when braking and noise of charging in the area under bonnet behind steering wheel.

Of course after 4 years standing with Aussie temps your brake fluid is likely to be like dish water and should be changed.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Mark:
As I said in the intros section, welcome to the club! No, I don't think you made a mistake. Patch the car up as needed. You sound handy with a wrench. Then just drive it and enjoy it. If/when it dies beyond a reasonable chance of repair, let her go. She's already done above and beyond the call of duty compared to cars the same age.

I'm good more for moral support, being not much of a mechanic. Graham has already pointed you in a good direction concerning the blower motors. That's a known weak spot on these cars - which, mercifully, I've not (yet!) had to address. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall that there might be a microswitch behind the blower knob itself, probably having more to do with fan speed. It bothers me that you aren't getting any fan at all.... Keep researching, I'd say, before digging into the dash. Become familiar with how to navigate the archives/search function. Type in key words and select the XJ40 section, and you'll see plenty of past posts on the topic.

Richard is also right about the accumulator ball. If the warning light you are getting is the red "Brake" light, that's generally what it means, esp. if the brakes look good in every other way. You can still get spheres online for about 100 american dollars. I think it's a GM part.

I'm hoping, as I always do, that others FAR more knowledgeable than I am will also help out.

So, enjoy! We're glad to have you with us!
cheers,
Scott

Old 08-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi Mark
The blower not going could be the fan select switch on the left side of the control panel part number JLM500.The complete air con control unit is easy to remove I have sold plenty of those over the past few years. once you remove the wood ski slope you will see the screws that hold the whole unit in the air con unit is the one with the yellow multi plug.Idearly if you can get a second hand one from a Jag dismantler to plug in to identify the problem. The low brake fluid could be a faulty connection at the fluid level warning indicator on top of the fluid reservoir or may be the float has stuck down after sitting for so long
Hope this helps
Cheers Ray

Old 08-03-2013, 11:25 PM

Ray, you were right it was the sender on top on the brake fluid reservoir, the float was a bit sticky but I managed to free it and I now have a dashboard with no warning lights.. Wahoo.
Ok I'll have to take the dash apart this week when I get the chance, it sounds like a horrible job though, I personally hate working on electrical equipment.
The only other question I had was about oil pressure, it was sitting at about 4 bar (half way) at idle, and about 5 bar whilst running, now I have changed the oil and filter it's around 6 bar when idling and it's all the way up to 8 bar if the revs are over 1500. Is that too high do you think? Is it supposed to be maxed out all the time because it pretty much is? Thanks

Old 08-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't think it should run at max oil pressure all the time ' maybe at start up when cold then around 6 bar as warm up. Maybe the oil you changed could be a thicker grade than was in before I think different oils can give slightly different readings; Some one else more knowlageable on oils may be able to put you right on that. The oil sender unit could be faulty after sitting for a long period it is situated on the left hand side of engine under the inlet manifold and forward of oil filter. It will have a rubber boot over it with a single orange wire to the terminal on sender unit.
Good luck
Cheers Ray

Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 PM

88? Yes.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 AM

It's an 88 model yes

Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Good reminder, rgbeard: The year of the car, I believe, makes my comments about the brakes moot. I'm pretty sure the early cars used a different system about which I am entirely unfamiliar.

Scott

Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mark_
It's an 88 model yes
I wasn't asking. I was answering your question.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1988 also, my oil pressure gauge also reads low at idleand goes up with the revs, I am told by one of my local mechanics that it isthe type of sending unit they used and it is normal for cars in the 80's, foryour oil leaks you should look at the hydraulic fluid hoses that attach to yourhydraulic mineral oil reservoir and the hoses that attach to the steering fluidreservoir, they do wear out and will start to leak a little, also check thefluid level on you hydraulics that will have to be topped off with the Castrolhyd mineral oil.

Enjoy your Jag, they are a great car.

The following users liked this post:
MidwestJag (08-12-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:43 AM

What does your oil pressure gauge read? At say 100kmph or 60mph? Mine usually reads full 8bar until it fully warms up, then it might drop one led on the gauge so it's still pretty much full. At idle it reads around 5 or 6bar. I managed to track down my oil leak to the rocker cover gasket which I have now fixed but oil still seaps out of the sump and a few other places, not enough to leave oil on the floor but I'm thinking this could just be down to the high oil pressure, maybe it's pushing through the seals..

Old 08-13-2013, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Not really too much to regret Mark. $1100 and you drove it back from Sydney (?) Is no mean feat for an unknown. Sorry I am of no help regarding the problems. Did you say how many K's it has done?

Old 08-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark,

I have a 1990 XJ40 and my blower fans stopped working. I pulled the control panel and replaced the micro-switch behind the fan switch and the blowers work again. Well, the left blower works. The right blower quite working before the micro-switch went bad and may need replacing.

Robert

Old 08-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 1800 plus RPMs it is allways 2 to 4 bars below max when the RPMs fall below that its in the middle, at Idle it shows about 3 to 4 bars