XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Internal water leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Internal water leak

On a recent very hot day, I was driving bare footed with the air con on full force, and I felt some drops of water hit my foot. There was also a little bet of water on the floor. I assume this must have been from the air con. I haven't experience it previously, but I haven't very often needed to have the air con fan on high. Also, I would normally be wearing boots and would not feel water dripping onto them.

Would such a dripping be normal?

The following users liked this post:
JaromirJaguar (04-16-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Rosspot,

You're going to have to remove the knee bolsters (panels directly in front of the legs, underside of dash) and visually examine where the water is originating. Based on your description, it "sounds like" condensation, but the water on the floor board/carpet, sounds like blocked drainage tubes for the system. The drainage tubes are visible (one each side) when the carpet is pulled back.

Also, you could have a problem with the heater core/hoses, thus the need to remove the bolsters and examine the components.

Last edited by Rob Evenson; 01-07-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
Rosspot,

You're going to have to remove the knee bolsters (panels directly in front of the legs, underside of dash) and visually examine where the water is originating. Based on your description, it "sounds like" condensation, but the water on the floor board/carpet, sounds like blocked drainage tubes for the system. The drainage tubes are visible (one each side) when the carpet is pulled back.

Also, you could have a problem with the heater core/hoses, thus the need to remove the bolsters and examine the components.
Thanks for that. The thing is that when I'm driving along with the air con running I can hear liquid gurgling around behind the dash. I've only recently started to hear it, but it certainly sounds irregular.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I have the same problem on my 1992 xj40 xj6 sovereign (Water leakage on driver side floor). The water comes in large amounts after I have washed my car. So i am assuming when washing my car the water isnt draining properly and ending up in my interior through the heater core system. I removed the knee bolsters and found that water was leaking from what i believe to be the heater core.

"sounds like blocked drainage tubes for the system. The drainage tubes are visible (one each side) when the carpet is pulled back. "

I havent located these drainage tubes (yet) but I would like to figure this out before it becomes a big issue in the future. I think its an issue with exterior drainage.

thanks

Danny

Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

For anyone experiencing these type of in cabin water leaks it is caused by water filling up the wiper assembly housing and then seeping through the firewall passages due to leaves/debris blocking up the duck bill drain.

The duck bill is located on the front underside of the wiper housing, in the engine bay, towards the centre and below the wiper motor.It's held in place with a hose clamp and is a bit of a tight fit to get your hands in there to remove/clear it.

*Note that water leaks can also occur due to corrosion in the frame behind the windscreen, not so easily fixed but try the duck bill first...

Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah, reading this thread brought back memories of my evaporator leak. My 1994 VDP had this same problem, it happened after I got a new evaporator I noticed the carpet some how kept getting wet. Then one afternoon I saw a stream of water trickle from under the dashboard (on the passenger side). The next day I took the car to the dealer and it was because the condensate drains were blocked with scum. The tech told me about a gallon of water came out of the car.

On a side note,
That " liquid gurgling sound" is most likely the condensate water backing up and flooding the evaporator housing inside the dashboard.

Last edited by rolexmike; 04-09-2013 at 11:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rolexmike:
JaromirJaguar (04-16-2013), Lawrence (08-09-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Duck bill drain!

When I first read this post hoping to solve my dash leak I had no idea what the duck bill drain was. Once found I must say it just a dumb thing! No way it will not plug up. Pull it off and replace it with some 18" or so of 1 and 1/4 inch radiator hose. Water will drain out of the cowling as it should without backing up into the firewall and making your feet wet!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by dbeck54
I had no idea what the duck bill drain was. Once found I must say it just a dumb thing! No way it will not plug up. Pull it off and replace it with some 18" or so of 1 and 1/4 inch radiator hose. Water will drain out of the cowling as it should without backing up into the firewall and making your feet wet!
Yep - it was a dumb idea - probably meant to prevent insects and rodents from crawling up and nesting under the cowl. Most owners just remove the rubber duck bill and don't bother to add a hose.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-08-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the "duckbill" under the bonnet almost smack dab in the middle of the bay under the intake vents. That could be blocked causing water to sit in there. Also behind the center console on the floor of the passenger side is a drain line from the air con outside the body under the car. Run a small wire all the way through that and you may be amazed how much sludge is in there.

I had the same issues and it was mostly when either humid or after a rain. Cleaned out all the above and all was good. No Gurgles. Unfortunately I figured it out too late and now have some electrical gremlins due to the moisture.

93SB (08-26-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Exact symptoms...but...

Hi All, these symptoms seem to match the issue I have with my 2001 XJR:
  • Gurgling sounds behind the dash
  • Very slight dripping from "somewhere" onto my shoes
It's only just started today after some very heavy rain....the odd thing is that I only hear the gurgling when the climate control is on. Is there some reason it would only gurgle while the climate control is on?

I haven't had a chance to take a good look behind the dash [which is a scary thought in itself].

If it's relevant, the only other thing I've noticed about the climate control is that every now and then I hear what sounds like rustling inside the vents followed by the appearance of some grey foam rubber...which I assume is just old age of some filter/lining withing the system.

Troy.