XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

shock levelling valve body delete!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,124 Likes on 790 Posts
Default shock levelling valve body delete!

Hi all
I haven't posted much, nor lately, but take it as "no news is good news."
Heres what happened. Earlier this summer I replaced tie rod ends to try to remove steering slop and soon noticed a New drip- one where none had previously been. The steering rack was dripping out of a now oil soaked, but otherwise good boot. Ok. fine. Got another rack from Coventry West and installed it no problem. Im considering replacing all the original hoses and deleting the self leveling shocks' valve body. As i see it, it would delete the Y hose, and another hose too, and I could then remove the extra piece and have a bit more space to joggle under there- or maybe install a pair of very big horns.. Also I am having a bit of trouble getting the required mineral oil to refill. I have looked over the posts on that subject but dont have a jag dealer within 40 miles. Grrrrr. I guess ill have to take an afternoon to go get some. Roger is a very reliable and attractive 92 sovereign with a mere 167000 miles. I dont want to hurt him or offend him- too much.
Thanks for any input on removing that valve body, Jerry

Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

You don't need the pump on the front of the engine if you don't have SLS rear suspension. I have a 1992 XJ6 and I replaced the rear dampers with normal units/springs. The pump and hoses can be removed along with the valve block. You need to get a new reservoir-to-pump hose for the PAS (CCC2904) and cap the small return port on the reservoir. Drain all the fluid and replace with Dexron ATF.

There is a front cover blanking plate (EBC11560) that is(was) available from the dealer but any thin metal cut to fit will work to keep things from entangling in the pump drive tabs.

I have a pile of front pumps (more than 10) if anyone needs one.

bob gauff

Attached Files

Last edited by motorcarman; 08-30-2011 at 08:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
jerry_hoback (08-30-2011), Translator (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Good to see you Jerry. Best of luck with the suspension change.

(Once had a LR with two tone fire brigade horns, was a blast).

Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Dexron! I had a feeling. Thanks Bob. I stared at that valve block for quite a while and could not see any other use than the already deleted levelling system. I think i will leave the pump on there, as it isnt currently dripping (a previous problem- it had been dripping directly onto the fanbelt) and just plug its holes. the connector plate has been removed so its not even pumping.
I have a nice pair of horns removed from a 1950 ish dodge sedan waiting patiently. But fire brigade. Hehehehehehe.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Bob,

I'm guessing you know a lot more than me about this subject but my understanding is that the valve block and pump are still required to operate the ABS system unless the brake conversion to a conventional vacuum booster is also undertaken. Is this correct?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The brakes on the 4.0 (90 to 94) XJ40 does not use the hydraulic pump on the engine as it is electric/hydraulic (self contained).

The 88/89 XJ40 uses the engine pump and HSMO system for the hydraulic booster.

There is the Tech Guide S-73 for the 2 systems. I tried to upload but I got a 'upload failed' message. I uploaded it to the forum site a while ago and it should be available in the 'sticky' section. Look for the S73_XJ40 Power System Hydraulic.pdf

bob gauff

Old 09-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah.. the wonderful SLS. :-)

Iv struggled with this myself in the not too distant past.

My problem is that its also part of the break system, and I dont have the time or money to tinker with that yet.
So... On a budget...

I found that simple clear oderless mineral spirits from Home Depot (DIY store) does the trick. Has to be the clear type though. There is a "green" type you can get, but thats just gonna gunk up the system. Its very sencitive.
Filling just needed some rather odd thinking. I cut the bottom off an old bottle of Lucas Oil product and used the thin nozzle for the filler. To get the top open I just jam a bit of wire in there to depress the plastic bearing and spring. It fills slowly, but does the trick.

The rear.... Well, I put some very stiff spring rubbers in there to remove the need for the fluid to be used in that location, then unhooked the "Up" solinoid from the valve system.

So all the pipes and so on are still there should I ever get drunk enough one day to try and fix it all. But its not being used or pressureised so no worries about leaking.

I find that the valve body itself isnt a big deal. The tank though... That takes up some room.
At a later date Ill be removing the break system and putting in a vacume system...

Old 09-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

My understanding was that the brake assist was similar to a hydroboost system and uses the same hydraulic pump as the SLS. Also, doesn't the power steering rack use the same pump for assist as well? I know I should research before posting but I'm off to grab a manual and study the car...

Old 09-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hey guys.
Just and update here, the leveling shocks had been removed at some point previously, so i just had the valve body and the pump left in my way. I successfully amputated the valve body along with about 37,000 km of extra hoses, and installed all new lines to the new(rebuilt) steering rack. I have not seen any leaks yet, but why would i? Success on that job!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, now Im confused.

Im only familiar with my 88. But I didnt know they linked in the steering into the hydraulics at some point too?.

I know my power break assist is piped into the valve body.
My Power steering has its own pump.

It almost sounds like the previouse owner did some seriouse fiddling? lol

Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ixfn
My understanding was that the brake assist was similar to a hydroboost system and uses the same hydraulic pump as the SLS. Also, doesn't the power steering rack use the same pump for assist as well? I know I should research before posting but I'm off to grab a manual and study the car...
Mr. Gauff's prior post clarified half of my misunderstanding if I had been paying attention. I just got around to this and see the PS pump is independent from the SLS pump, they just share the reservoir. I used a 96 X300 block off plate for the pump and got rid of all the SLS rubbish. I'd like to use the later non SLS hoses and reservoir for the PS from the later model as well but the donor car is no more...