XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

numb-nuts mistake; rear door latch

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default numb-nuts mistake; rear door latch

ever since I brought the '74 home, I've had to open the front door, reach in and open the back door from inside because the outside handle doesn't work... the other day, mucking about, I found a small rod sticking out of the door just above the latch and flipped it back and forth.... of COURSE, NOBODY had "child proof" door latches way back in '74!... stupid me. I forgot to flip it back and shut the door before it dawned on me that THAT was the only way I had to open it. BLAST and DAMNATION. I'll have to strip the door panel out from inside and actually FIX this problem that USED to be just a nagging nuisance....

Old 10-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

LOL I don't feel Nearly so dumb now about the stupid thing I did this evening!

Just when you get to thinking you're pretty smart, these cars shovel on some humbling experience that makes you completely reassess your worthiness.
(';')

Old 10-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

LnrB:

Not going to tell, huh!!!!

It will take a while for me to top my dumbest. Jaguar up on ramps.
Tracking no brake light issue. Took it out of park to track light function.
Zoom backwards. Door hyper extended by hitting parked Jeep. Saved me!!!

1. No chocks on rear wheel/s !!!! Why, I have no...
2. Hand brake did not hold? More to check out.

The little stripe of primer on the Jaguar's door reminds me to
be careful......

Carl .

Old 10-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Well, if you insist, Carl, but I really don't qualify under the title of this thread.
I was making a retainer to keep a hose out of the whirly bits. It had to be Just Right or it wouldn't do the job. After working on it for an hour, getting *Very* frustrated a few times, almost losing my temper and calling down evil on the whole thing, and Finally finishing it up, I discovered I made it too long and the hose was going to be among the whirly bits anyway.

So this morning before breakfast I had to do it all over again. It's right this time.
(';')

Old 10-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Just when you get to thinking you're pretty smart, these cars shovel on some humbling experience that makes you completely reassess your worthiness.
(';')
Ain't this the truth

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Well, if you insist, Carl, but I really don't qualify under the title of this thread.
I was making a retainer to keep a hose out of the whirly bits. It had to be Just Right or it wouldn't do the job. After working on it for an hour, getting *Very* frustrated a few times, almost losing my temper and calling down evil on the whole thing, and Finally finishing it up, I discovered I made it too long and the hose was going to be among the whirly bits anyway.

So this morning before breakfast I had to do it all over again. It's right this time.
(';')

Phhhffttt!

Is that all you got? Rank amateur. That little flub barely rises to 'mistake' level. It's miles away from 'boneheaded move'

One time, years ago, I misjudged and drilled a hole right thru the trunk lid of my Jag! I rushed the car to a body shop and begged them to fix it right away so as to put an end to the humiliation. If you have to pay someone else to fix what you've done, and swear them to an oath of silence about the matter, *that's* when you know you've pulled a boneheaded move !

Cheers
DD

LnrB (10-14-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 02:06 PM

well; I decided to reinstall the dash and have a look at the door latch problem... the dash is done, more or less; there's still the covers under the dash and some other fiddly bits to attend to, but that damn door latch... first off, how in the daylights do you remove the door panel? two screws in the bottom of the pocket, but it doesn't shift at all... ANYWAY, the back upper corner of the panel was loose, so I simply pulled it down and got a look inside. The offending pin, the child safety latch, is at the top of the latch in the upper rear corner of the door opening, and it simply shoves back outward so the door will open from inside... I can't address the outside handle until I figure out how to properly remove the inner panel. And, as a bonus, since I had the rear seat bottom out, I was rewarded with the sight of two new projects to attend to.... both pans under the rear seat are rusted through. Argh. I'd have done these when I did the front floors if they'd been obvious.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

I've only taken off the front liner (which was a Huge PIA) but I'm thinking the rear should be very similar if you have a Series 2.

The door cards are loosened like all other door liners I've ever seen. There are "securing clips" around the perimeter of the liner. One carefully pulls these out of the door one at a time, being careful not to rip them from the liner (ask me how I know this).

Slip a putty knife or thin screw driver blade along the crack until you find a clip; the rear edge is probably easiest since it was loose anyway, and you might even be able to see another clip.

You'll have to take the inner latch handle off and the ash tray.

The screws in the bottom of the pocket only secure the pocket to the liner.

I hope that gives you an idea where to start at least.
(';')

Old 10-19-2015, 05:29 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

On my sIII sov, I removed the screws from under the arm rest thingy (I think one of them was under the light lense). Then the said armrest slided backwards half an inch then lifts off to reveal the big screws holding everything together. still had to do the popping of the push clips as Lnr described too. This was on the front passanger door, but I think the rear will be similar (maybe???)

LnrB (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 05:42 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

The screws in the bottom of the pocket only secure the pocket to the liner.

I hope that gives you an idea where to start at least.
(';')
Once you remove the screws from the pocket ,tap it upwards as it has pins that go into slotted holes, I know I removed a series 3 pair today to fit to my series 1.
And remove your window winder handle(make sure the window is up first so it doesn't block the locking mechanism.

numb-nuts mistake; rear door latch-dsc_4435.jpgnumb-nuts mistake; rear door latch-dsc_4451.jpgnumb-nuts mistake; rear door latch-dsc_4453.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
Curt Lee (10-19-2015), LnrB (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 05:54 PM

I WISH mine had manual windows

Old 10-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt Lee
I WISH mine had manual windows
Don't say that. There's something slick about pulling up and the window going down without watching the persons head and body bob up and down.
Its a jag baby!!