XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prestone PRIME conventional 50 50 coolant. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 09:07 PM
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Prestone PRIME conventional 50 50 coolant. Thoughts?

Hello all!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Been looking for some repalcement coolant and came across PRIME Conventional. At first i ignored it as i have never seen it before but then realised it was by Prestone so figured it must be ok right?

I had a read on the website and it says suitable for up to one year. Really?? Thats it?? I was told that coolant should be flushed every 2 / 3 years.

Any thoughts / recommendations for this Coolant?? Worth it?

I am running an 87 XJ6

Thank you

Old 08-27-2018, 08:03 AM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

XJ6s are known to have sort of weak cooling systems so I would not cut corners. Follow factory recommendations carefully and use the best quality materials you can find. And be real sure to keep it topped up properly.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisleg
I had a read on the website and it says suitable for up to one year. Really?? Thats it?? I was told that coolant should be flushed every 2 / 3 years.

Any thoughts / recommendations for this Coolant?? Worth it?
Just use ordinary old fashioned green Prestone and be done with it . It'll work fine with no guessing or concerns. If you're starting with a clean system....really clean....a flushing every 3 years should be fine. Make the interval 1 or 2 years if you're not sure.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
chrisleg (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup. Doug's method has worked for decades in all kinds of critters..

Carl

Old 08-27-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Just use ordinary old fashioned green Prestone and be done with it . It'll work fine with no guessing or concerns. If you're starting with a clean system....really clean....a flushing every 3 years should be fine. Make the interval 1 or 2 years if you're not sure.

Cheers
DD
Thanks doug.

Which one is it? The standard yellow bottle?? There is a long life, which i was told not to use, I looked on Amazon and nothing but the long life stuff comes up!

Much appreciated if you have a link

Chris

Old 08-27-2018, 01:18 PM

They call it extended life just as a marketing gimmick. About $10 at Wal-Mart. Yellow bottle. I suggest using the full strength and not diluted. Find the system capacity, divide by 2 and put that much in. Then top it up with distilled water. If you use the prediluted you might not wind up with a true 50/50 mix.

look on YouTube for instructions on flushing the system. Keep flushing until what comes out is pure clean water. I had to flush mine about 5 times until it ran clean. Drain, plug and fill up with antifreeze and distilled water.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
They call it extended life just as a marketing gimmick. About $10 at Wal-Mart. Yellow bottle. I suggest using the full strength and not diluted. Find the system capacity, divide by 2 and put that much in. Then top it up with distilled water. If you use the prediluted you might not wind up with a true 50/50 mix.

look on YouTube for instructions on flushing the system. Keep flushing until what comes out is pure clean water. I had to flush mine about 5 times until it ran clean. Drain, plug and fill up with antifreeze and distilled water.

this one?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Extended-Life-Prediluted-Antifreeze-Coolant/16879961?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=2222222222801756329 5&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40840067792&wl4=pla-78653338832&wl5=9060286&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl1 0=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=16879961&wl13=&veh=sem

are silicones bad for the radiator and other components?
you can get so side tracked with info!

I am actually getting a guy to flush and refill with antifreeze and distilled water mix this week. He suggested getting prestone 50/50 if I needed to top up.

Somewhere on the internet someone said just water. That cant be right though????

Old 08-27-2018, 04:31 PM

Sorry for the confusion. If you have someone that knows what they are doing it is a moot point but what I tried to say is if the system holds 4 gallon and you drained it, put 2 gallon antifreeze in and then the rest distilled water. That gives you a 50/50 mix which is what you want. If you have a jug in your garage to top it up now and then, either full strength or 50/50 blend will work fine. Just use the same brand.

chrisleg (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
Sorry for the confusion. If you have someone that knows what they are doing it is a moot point but what I tried to say is if the system holds 4 gallon and you drained it, put 2 gallon antifreeze in and then the rest distilled water. That gives you a 50/50 mix which is what you want. If you have a jug in your garage to top it up now and then, either full strength or 50/50 blend will work fine. Just use the same brand.
Thanks Yellow Series 3

I should have mentioned it but i was flip flopping as to wether i should get it done or not. But he has a day free now so i figured i would bite the bullet and go for it.

Understand about the coolant and same brand. Would there be any reason I would top it up with water??? Just something another guy told me but It confused me as i figured water is corrosive so why would i top up with even MORE water???

Thanks again!

Old 08-28-2018, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Cris:

You are right at times, the flood of information clouds the answer.

1. The link you quoted includes these words "prediluted". Handy, yeah, but at a cost.
It merely means half glycol and half water. You pay a lot for water!!!

2. Yellow has it down pat.

3. Your guy's suggestion to top off with 50/50 makes some sense. It is ahndy and maintains the proportion

4. Adding water does dilute the mix. But, if not in huge amounts, harmless. Distilled, of course.

5. Most rarely need topping off. I've topped off with any of the three options.
A. Pure Glycol
B. Distilled water.
C. The expensive 50/50 mix.

All has been well.

Almost all brands are glycol based, it is the additives that differ. Some compatible, others not so much.

Caveat. don't spill the glycol. Animals love its sweet taste. Can be fatal!!!

That is my main issue with driveway flushes. As well as not good for ground water.

Cart

chrisleg (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Cris:

You are right at times, the flood of information clouds the answer.

1. The link you quoted includes these words "prediluted". Handy, yeah, but at a cost.
It merely means half glycol and half water. You pay a lot for water!!!

2. Yellow has it down pat.

3. Your guy's suggestion to top off with 50/50 makes some sense. It is ahndy and maintains the proportion

4. Adding water does dilute the mix. But, if not in huge amounts, harmless. Distilled, of course.

5. Most rarely need topping off. I've topped off with any of the three options.
A. Pure Glycol
B. Distilled water.
C. The expensive 50/50 mix.

All has been well.

Almost all brands are glycol based, it is the additives that differ. Some compatible, others not so much.

Caveat. don't spill the glycol. Animals love its sweet taste. Can be fatal!!!

That is my main issue with driveway flushes. As well as not good for ground water.

Cart
Thanks Cart

Yeah i figured i would hold back on trying to do it myself this time around. Need to get more comfortable and the right equipment. Slowly slowly

Would you say that even the Long Life stuff is the same as the regular??? And if so why do they market as such??

Thanks again fella!

Old 08-29-2018, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

You might just Google up "long life glycol based anti-freeze".

Glycol is glycol. there is one version that is slightly different. Marketed at least a tone time under the Sierra label. Said to be "safer" for anima; ingestion.

But, I think the long life has to do with the inhibitors. Anti freeze is a common name.
And, yes it freezes at a much lower temperature than water. But, the inhibitors to resist corrosion are equally important.

Don't know where you are in CA. But in most of our state we rarely see a freeze bad enough to crack heads and blocks. In the high Sierras, yes,

As you mentioned a NAPA store in your neighborhood, go there if you decide to DIY!!

Gee, I misspelled my own name. I can spell, but stiff AM fingers let me down.

Carl

Old 08-29-2018, 04:06 PM

Hahah I thought you had. But I figured just go with it hahah

I guess my main concern is in having too many selicants that will degrade my car system quicker as

so been spending too much time reading up on types etc. Maybe I am over thinking it??

thanks again Carl!