Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing rear door panel on 87 VDP

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Removing rear door panel on 87 VDP

My right rear window doesn’t go down. The front window works. I tried the front and back switches and neither work so it must be the motor. I researched how to remove the door panel and thought it would be easy. I’ve removed door panels on my XJS’s before. Piece of cake. I removed the big screw inside the light and removed the middle screw below the arm rest. I next pulled the plastic clips around the edges and thought the panel would lift off. But something near the center wasn’t pulling away and I didn’t want to force it so I stopped. Have I missed something? I know some models have an ashtray you need to remove and there is an additional screw to take out but mine doesn’t have an ashtray. Have I missed something? Thank you,

Danny

Old 07-31-2018, 09:42 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

If I recall you have to separate the top and bottom sections of the armrest,. top of armrest slides rearward IIRC .then you will see the really big screws holding the armrest on.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,306 Posts

In addition to what Alyn says, you usually have to give the armrest top a great thump to get it to move backwards to reveal the mounting screws, and further: there is a very robust tab in the middle of the panel, fitted into a horizontal slot in the inner metal door panel. To release this tab you must pull the entire panel UP.
Finally, the chances of the window problem being caused by the motor are very, very small. It is still going to be a matter of dirty switch contacts. Have you swapped the connector from a no-functioning window on to a known good switch? If the window now moves you have isolated the problem to a faulty switch. Take the switch apart and clean the contacts.

XJDanny (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Alyn and Sov,

Thank you for this helpful information. I didn’t know the door handle was in two parts. It looks like one piece to me.

I’ve heard the window switches are usually the culprit when windows don’t work. But since neither the front or rear switch made the window go down, I assumed it was the window. I’ll try using a switch that works and test that before I try removing the door panel again.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

I found several posts about removing the window switches up front but I haven’t found a post about how to remove the switches in the backseat. How are these switches removed?

Also, if the switches aren’t the issue then it sounds like the next likely cause is my window motor is frozen from lack of use. Is there a trick to unfreezing it? Do I just spray it everywhere with a lubricant and it should become unstuck?

Old 08-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJDanny
I found several posts about removing the window switches up front but I haven’t found a post about how to remove the switches in the backseat. How are these switches removed
The rear switches are mounted on a small console; this console is held in place by one screw on each side. Move the front seats forward to expose the screws on the console; remove the screws and pull the small console away. Disconnect the switch connectors. The removal of the switches themselves is by pressing the tabs at the switch base. To dismantle the switches use a fine screwdriver, levering at each side of the toggle until it comes apart. Note how the switch is constructed and watch for small springs. Clean the contacts in the base and on the copper strip. The copper strips and the toggle are easily put back in place. Done. As I wrote previously, the motor itself is very rarely, almost never the problem.

XJDanny (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you again, Sov. I greatly appreciate the help!!

Old 08-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
In addition to what Alyn says, you usually have to give the armrest top a great thump to get it to move backwards to reveal the mounting screws, and further: there is a very robust tab in the middle of the panel, fitted into a horizontal slot in the inner metal door panel. To release this tab you must pull the entire panel UP.
Finally, the chances of the window problem being caused by the motor are very, very small. It is still going to be a matter of dirty switch contacts. Have you swapped the connector from a no-functioning window on to a known good switch? If the window now moves you have isolated the problem to a faulty switch. Take the switch apart and clean the contacts.
I was able to get the armrest off and all the other screws. The armrest did take a thunk, like you said. But I cannot get that clip to release. It’s just above the speaker. I’ve used much force to try and raise the panel up but it won’t budge. It’s been close to an hour just trying to get it to budge but nothing. I’m worried I’ll bend the panel or damage it somehow trying to get the clip to release so I have to stop. Is there a trick I’m missing?

Regarding the window switches vs. the window motor, I moved a working switch to that window and it still doesn’t work. So it’s definately a frozen motor or a bad motor. Now if I could only get the panel off I think I could figure it out. Grrr...

Old 08-04-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

I tried again and it took two of us and the bugger finally released and we got the panel off! YAY! :-)

Old 08-04-2018, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Danny: those rearpanels,if they have neverbeen removed, area bit of a bear. You WILL be able to get it off (one thing: there is a screw at the very bottom of the map pocket - did you remove that?). Once the armrest is removed, and all the plasticclips around the sides and bottom, grasp the panel at the top/side of the upper blackpartion. Now rock the panel side to side as you lever it upwards - this is to release that tabe from its holder on the door itself. This rocking will eventually free the tab (it is quite a long tab!). To replace the anel it helps a great deal a) to have the window down (!) and b) to have bent the holder for that tab outwards to ease slipping it in.

XJDanny (08-04-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I think it is worth noting for the future that the front and rear armrests are not setup the same. As I recall the back armrests just pop down into place, but the with the front one part goes down while the other moves to the side, so it requires more of a twisting motion.

check for 12v going to the motor from the switch and 12v to the switch from the fuseblock. When my XJS motor "died" the motor itself still worked, its just the gear was worn and the worm gear would walk off the cog.

XJDanny (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
I think it is worth noting for the future that the front and rear armrests are not setup the same. As I recall the back armrests just pop down into place, but the with the front one part goes down while the other moves to the side, so it requires more of a twisting motion.

check for 12v going to the motor from the switch and 12v to the switch from the fuseblock. When my XJS motor "died" the motor itself still worked, its just the gear was worn and the worm gear would walk off the cog.
Thanks, Sidescrollin,

This is helpful because I plan to install new speakers so I’ll be removing all the panels. I’ll lube all the door locks while I’m at it. The first thing I will check for the window will be the power to the motor. If the motor is really bad, I’ve heard early 70’s Cadillacs used the same motor and they’re super cheap. Maybe I will try that route first because they’re cheap from a junkyard.

Danny

Old 08-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
I think it is worth noting for the future that the front and rear armrests are not setup the same. As I recall the back armrests just pop down into place, but the with the front one part goes down while the other moves to the side, so it requires more of a twisting motion..
With respect, this is not correct. The front and rear armrests for both the Sovereign and Vanden Plas models are the same: the top of the armrest in both cases is held in place by inverted screws which fit into slots on the armrest base (and there is a screw underneath the frontpartof the armrest top which must be removed first). This is why the top (padded) part of the armrest must be *thumped* to the rear to release the screw heads from the slots. There is no twisting at all in the removal or replacement.
The Sovereign differs from the Vanden Plas (and Daimler Double Six) in that the VDP/Daimler cars have a stitched leather top while the Sovereign unit is vinyl. But the structure is the same, as described above. This is entirely different from the XJ6 armrest configuation.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Jahmiata (08-10-2018), XJDanny (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Gregory,
Thank you for that clarification. I’m glad the front panels are the same as the back door panels since I already know how to remove the panels in the back.
Danny