XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series III Jag Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series III Jag Help!

Hello, I"m looking into purchasing a Series III Jag. I've been looking for Either A 1986 of 87 because i like the the dashboard/radio area. I've found some good candidates, but there's one huge problem. Most of them don't have hood ornaments. When i look on used car websites in that year area whether or not they have hood ornaments various. In other words some do and some don't. Why i don't know and thats why im here. I would like to know why this is and if its can be added on. I recently found a 1986 for a great price but its missing the ornament. From the pictures i've seen there are know holes where the ornament would be so yah. Anything helps thanks.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

During that era none of the 'leaper' hood ornaments were factory installed. They were all added-on, often by the selling dealer.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-24-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Seriously?

So you are thinking of buying a high maintenance 30 year old foreign car and you are worried about the hood ornament?

Unless it is a super low mileage, and highly maintained by a fanatic Jaguar owner, there are going to be some huge priority adjustments coming. Surely there will be a ton of dough needed just to make it a reliable daily driver.

Do some research about this new project before you get excited about hood ornaments. My car does not have one and I feel its a trivial thing . They did not come from the factory with hood ornaments. My feeling is the Jaguar xj6 series 1,2, or 3 has timeless styling and is easily recognizable as a Jaguar (without a Leaper) But different strokes.. I prefer functional hood louvers.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:41 PM

thanks doug. I read that after the series 1 that they were add ons and that most series 2s and 3s have markings under the hood for installations. So I will most likely have my friend install a leaper for me. Thanks and have a nice night

Old 07-24-2015, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by alynmurray
So you are thinking of buying a high maintenance 30 year old foreign car and you are worried about the hood ornament?

Unless it is a super low mileage, and highly maintained by a fanatic Jaguar owner, there are going to be some huge priority adjustments coming. Surely there will be a ton of dough needed just to make it a reliable daily driver.

Do some research about this new project before you get excited about hood ornaments. My car does not have one and I feel its a trivial thing . They did not come from the factory with hood ornaments. My feeling is the Jaguar xj6 series 1,2, or 3 has timeless styling and is easily recognizable as a Jaguar (without a Leaper) But different strokes.. I prefer functional hood louvers.
? Thanks for your input. I definitely looking for a daily drive. the wierd thing is that I find a lot of the ones ive been looking at are under 5,000 all with older owners with minimal mileage for a 30 year old car. Should I stay away from these?

Old 07-25-2015, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member

In the "How To" thread at the top of this section is a buyers guide that will help

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Cuddles883 (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 12:21 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Cuddles883,

When you get one, drive it for a while before rushing in to fit a hood leaper, you may change your mind after looking down that gorgeous sculptured bonnet (hood) from the drivers seat, and other things will take priority.

Getting the car sorted and running well should be much higher on the agenda.

Buying off older people with low mileage isn't a problem, whether it has been serviced regularly regardless of use and properly is far more important.

I purchased mine back in March to use as an every day driver and I am still trying to nail an annoying intermittent warm no start issue and I have spent more on it than the purchase price of $4000 Aussie dollars

As long as you understand that these cars require daily (if used every day) fettling like checking oil & water levels AND regular checking of hoses, drain channels, linkages etc. you will be OK.

These are not set and forget propositions at all.

Also weighing in over 4,000 lbs, fuel consumption is eye watering. Around town on a daily basis, I am happy if the trip computer shows 14mpg

BUT, what you do get is one of the nicest handing and comfortable vehicles on the road today AND people look at it appreciatively AND some even strike up conversation about it as you unlock the drivers door (in a good way ).

The only reason I would drill holes in the bonnet would be to let some of the hot air out.

Enjoy the drive if you do get one,

Nigel

Cuddles883 (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

No more hood ornament for me...Someone stole mine. The ripped it off and damaged the hood in the process. They are rigidly mounted on a series 3 and they can turn an unlikely but minor pedestrian accident into fatal one.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,956 Likes on 5,298 Posts
Default "Low Mileage?"

I find it Extremely unlikely that any car 30 years old, owned by an elderly person or not, actually has "low mileage," odometer readings notwithstanding.

There are only 5 places on any 80s odometers (not counting tenths), so you have no idea how many times it's been around unless they tell you, and they might not know. My car said 75,000 miles when I got it, but I'm Sure it's already been around at least once.

If said older person is the original owner they were a lot younger when they got the car and probably drove it quite a lot. If the current older person isn't the original owner, it's even more likely the numbers have been around more than once. Showing under 5000 miles is definitely suspicious.
(';')

Old 07-25-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Showing under 5000 miles is definitely suspicious.
(';')

I'm thinking the 'under 5000' refers to the price, not miles !

Cheers
DD

Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag-o-nomic
As long as you understand that these cars require daily (if used every day) fettling like checking oil & water levels AND regular checking of hoses, drain channels, linkages etc. you will be OK.

I have to disagree....somewhat.

Any 30 year old car will need some repairs, possibly quite a few repairs, to bring it up-to-snuff. That takes some money and commitment. During that rehab period expect some problems.

And, true enough, even after everything is sorted out these old Jags are not 'drive it and forget it' cars to the extent we're accustomed to with modern Hondas and Toyotas and such.

But......

I used a Series III as a daily driver for *many years* and I can positively say that it didn't require daily attention of any kind. I remember many, many instances of never having to lift the bonnet at all between service intervals.

Cheers
DD

Grant Francis (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB

There are only 5 places on any 80s odometers (not counting tenths), so you have no idea how many times it's been around unless they tell you, and they might not know. My car said 75,000 miles when I got it, but I'm Sure it's already been around at least once.
(';')
Pretty sure all the Series 3 speedo's I have looked at have 6 digits, rolling over at a million miles (how's that for optimism). The tenths is on the trip meter.

My car is showing 093,xxx on it which I know from service records is accurate.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

When it comes to selecting a 30 year old car to buy, generalities do not apply. Especialy mileage. Think neglected and seldom driven vs regularly driven and well cared for. Parameters established. At this stage, most will be somewhere between.

I like the Leaper on my car. I'd like my Jeep to have one resembling it's name sake.

But, did it have anything to do with my choosing it. Nope. Actually, it was the striking color and interior combination that attracted my attention. Solid body, clean interior and ran well. Mileage at 115,000 for an 83 in 2001 not remarkable.

So, start with the budget. then a car that apply to you, then apply the guide already quoted. Keep going til you get a match. Caveat, it may not be a perfect match... Or don't snooze over a decent car at a decent price.

Carl

Old 07-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,956 Likes on 5,298 Posts

Originally Posted by mbalce
Pretty sure all the Series 3 speedo's I have looked at have 6 digits, rolling over at a million miles (how's that for optimism). The tenths is on the trip meter.

My car is showing 093,xxx on it which I know from service records is accurate.
OK, something else I hadn't considered is the possibility of kilometers since they're so much smaller. (giggles)
(';')

Old 07-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

two possibilities for very low mileage on a Series 1, 2, or 3 XJ-6:

1) the speedo gauges in these cars are easily replaced,

2) the car was stored for 29 years out of its 30 because the engine went early in its life.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:53 PM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Not sure about the series 3 but the series 2 here have 5 digit odometers allowing 99k then start again, hence mine at 76k but I know from the documentation it's on its third round.
Many series 2 sellers advertise low klm , but it's highly unlikely there all under 100k.

Jim

Grant Francis (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 10:33 PM

The skeptic in me things this is a gag post..the name, the avatar, and the question.

My '84 has a hood ornament, And i think it's lovely, it captures the profile of the car, a cat leaping forward. I think the car looks nude without it, but if I were to buy an XJ6 now, it would hardly matter.

I wouldn't buy a Jag (with or without the hood leaper) without a thorough inspection...I'm fairly good with mechanical things...but I'd still take it to a pro. I'd also run the VIN thru a Jag dealer and pull up the service history. A Jaguar is like a lovely woman..she needs to be attended to and cared for from day one, and by someone who knows what attentive means and is knowledgeable abut the idiosyncrasies of the car. Otherwise by the time she's older, she's developed some fairly fatal flaws. Don't be seduced by a low price or the smell of Connolly leather.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Other Jaguar XJ saloon to consider is the X300 series 1994-1997. A straignt six engine (all-aluminium this time), with al the Jaguar curves we love so much. The model between the Series 3 ands the X300 series, (the XJ40 never worked style-wise, (no curves !!), and reliability was awful until Ford took a hand to it.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Other Jaguar XJ saloon to consider is the X300 series 1994-1997. A straignt six engine (all-aluminium this time), with al the Jaguar curves we love so much. The model between the Series 3 ands the X300 series, (the XJ40 never worked style-wise, (no curves !!), and reliability was awful until Ford took a hand to it.
I'd agree with that. My last Jag was an X300, the AJ16 lump is brilliant and much more suited to someone who wants reliability rather than spending too much time in overalls.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Mine had a leaper when I bought it, but that wasn't the deciding factor. Just happened to be on the car I chose.
As for milage, on an old car it's not a biggie. I didn't even know what mine had on the clock until I got it home. Turns out it has probably done 2 or 3 times around since the last service record I had was for 32 years ago on a 42 year old car showing 90,000 miles(in 1983). I would say it has done 315,000 miles now.

My initial $2000 purchase has turned in to a close to 10k rolling resto with catch up maintenance while being used as a daily driver, except for the odd week here and there when I have had front or rare end out on the floor etc.
I have done many trips to Sydney and central NSW return without lifting the bonnet. Earlier this year we did Melbourne (2 days down, just a gnats under 17 hours non stop coming home).
It has only failed to make it's own way to destination once in 19 months and that was because the diff and rear calipers were on fire right under the fuel tanks. But I did still drive it into my garage one the tilt tray dropped it off, it would still proceed under it's own power but was lacking diff oil and brake fluid.

Series III Jag Help!-dsc_8828.jpg

In November It will become a car I share with my son when he gets his licence since my wife won't drive it and he will have to leave the Jeep at home for her.

I would buy any XJ for a daily, but I just drive a car and look over it myself and buy on a gut feeling. But if you are not mechanically minded an inspection from good indy shop around Melbourne would be the way to go.

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-27-2015 at 02:37 AM.
Grant Francis (07-27-2015)