Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toe in alignment

toe in alignment

Old 03-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

What is this post? Are you asking for the spec or how to adjust it?

Someone here probably has the spec but more than likely 0 toe in/out would work just fine

Old 03-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry, my original post didn't paste the contents correctly. My mistake. The full post follows;

I recently rebuilt the front end on my 86 XJ6 replacing all rubber bushings, upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks and rebuilt steering rack. The entire front end was disassembled including the sub-frame assembly. The original coil springs were reused. The initial toe-in was set using the string method between jack stands positioned at front and rear. The toe-in is set to a ballpark + or - 1/8".

After assembly and road testing something doesn’t seem right – when road testing at 20-25 MPH the left front wheel feels and sounds like it is toeing in out as the loads on that wheel change. I’m puzzled as to what is causing the alignment behavior I explain below >

When I jack the front of the car up and the front wheels leave contact with the garage floor, both left and right wheels spring into a toe-in position … considerably toe-d in. Additionally it’s very noticeable the amount of toe-in is not equal for each side, the left wheel is considerably more angled in than the right side. The toe-in that occurs when the tire loses contact happens seems like its “spring loaded”. What could be storing this spring loaded toe-in behavior, the coil springs? Is this normal and “by design” in Series III geometry? Other XJ6 owners I have spoken with say they do not experience any toe-in when the car is raised and the tires leave the ground.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

"Spring loaded" situation:

Can't say that I've ever noticed one way or the other....but it don't sound right. It so happens I have my Series III Up in the air on a hoist for rack replacement; I'll do some up-n-down some and report back.

If we assume it isn't normal (and I think we're all pretty much doing that) then something was assembled wrong, most likely. But what?

I begin by disconnecting the tie rods....or at least breaking them free and leave them loosely affixed with the nut....and see if the spring-loaded action remains.

It's easy to mix-up the upper control arms...but, although problematic, I'm not sure if that would cause what you're experiencing.

Meanwhile, some mulling

Cheers
DD

Old 03-27-2018, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Like Doug, I'm just "chewin' my cud" until we learn more . . . but I am leaning towards an incorrect reassembly that has introduced way too much camber and/or caster such that at full droop, there is a pent up surge of gross toe-in. Caster is the more likely culprit, so I can well understand how reversed wishbones (either upper or lower) could introduce this if decidedly asymmetric. I doubt asymmetry is that pronounced but admit that this is a new one on me, so I must check!

In the meantime Jeff, I suggest you focus on these areas on both sides. Check and compare with shop drawings to identify correct re-assembly. I also like the suggestion to disconnect tie-rod ends, adjust wheels on ground to be parallel and straight, then slowly raise and watch . . . scrubbing should be evenly toward midline of car as "droop camber" is increased, but not introduce excessive toe-in. Keyword is "excessive" because all classic and modern Jaguars utilise some "bump and droop steer" for their anti-dive geometry. You should have eliminated that by uncoupling the tie-rod ends.

Please report back with findings,

Ken

Old 03-27-2018, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Cud!!!!

I just looked out my back window to check on Billy. He is standing in front of one of my out buildings White door and brick step. Sun does most that way. chewing hi cud!!! Happy goat.

I used the string method to set the toe on my 85 Ford F150 4x4. Taut cord center rear to center front. Any deflection translated to toe in or toe out, Repeat for each side.

Wheels on the ground !!!

Carl

Old 03-27-2018, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I agree, pop the tie rods and jack it up and then see what the geometry is like. This will either eliminate or highlight the steering rack/tie rod adjustment as the problem.

Yank round on the tire and see if there is any other looseness with it off the ground.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

Can't say that I've ever noticed one way or the other....but it don't sound right. It so happens I have my Series III Up in the air on a hoist for rack replacement; I'll do some up-n-down some and report back.
Tried some ups-n-downs today. Maybe...maybe saw the wheels toe-m when lifted. Might've been my imagination. But, certainly no 'spring loaded' type of thing goin' on

Cheers
DD