XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ6 S2 Fog Lamp

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 03:01 AM
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default XJ6 S2 Fog Lamp

are the fog lamps for the smaller centre lights on the Xj6 S2 known as H3 lights and what is the wattage of these bulbs for replacement?

Old 10-18-2016, 03:05 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

On my S1 the smaller lights are the high beam lights, not fog lights. Maybe S2 is different.

The following users liked this post:
adenshillito (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 03:11 AM

on the S2 the bigger outer light have the twin-filament bulbs H4 that alt. between low and high. the small inner lamps nearer the grill are fog lights and operate on a seperate dial switch. I think these H3 bulbs but not certain.

o1xjr (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:11 AM
Received 3,815 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Aden the larger ones on mine are Low and high beam...the smaller ones are like Clarke...high beam only....fog lights are below bumper and switch on with fog light switch.

Last edited by Daf11e; 10-19-2016 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:21 AM

I don't even have those square ones under the bumper bar.
My globes have changeable bulbs, so they must be S3 globes even tho S2 car.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:29 AM
Received 3,815 Likes on 2,789 Posts

I was told that fog lights were not standard but an add on in ser2....I could be wrong!.. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The 7" and the 5" lamps beside them are the headlamps. The outer is main and dip, the inner is main only. This arrangement applied for all three series to the end of production. I have just looked through my copy of Skilleter's book on Jaguar saloons and there are many pictures of the front of a Series 1, but none with fog lamps fitted. I suspect they would have gone where the rounded rectangular little mock grills are located underneath the inner headlights. These look about the right size for the Lucas foglamp sold at the time.

This web page has a photo of a Series 1 with foglamps in the position, but they are a bit large for the space so seem to be bolted on the bumper. It's very difficult finding pics of Series 1s with foglamps !!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ja...AhBPsHMPSNM%3A

Old 10-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

My understanding is the same as Fraser's, and applies to S1,2,3. Fogs were an option even though in some markets (certainly UK, AU, and I imagine NZ) the main switch in S3 is provisioned to operate fogs. I'm not sure about the switch in S1 and S2.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:44 PM

Okay, that's confusing. Still main question, in the small light (5"?) what bulb is used?

here's what I have.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Neither Fraser's nor [jagent]'s advice should be confusing. From your pic, the "inner" lights that you have arrowed as "fog lights" are NOT . . . they are,as stated, the HIGH BEAM Headlights. The "outers" are dual HIGH & LOW BEAM. Your car does not have FOG LIGHTS . . . reference Jim's earlier pic of his car or my '78 SeriesII Daimler VDP as below.

So, when you engage headlights in the dipped (first) position, only the LOW BEAM (or DIPPED) outer lights are lit. When you progress to HIGH BEAM, all 4 lights will be lit, with the "outers" switching from LOW to HIGH BEAM. If someone has wired your "inners" to be lit when "FOG LIGHTS" is selected (when you do not have fog lights), I would do some quick checking with Wiring Diagrams to hand, to see what other travesties previous owners may have left for you. Please post back if that is the case.

On my car, the "inners" were fitted with H3 halogen globes - 50 or 55W Halogen, if I remember correctly - but again, that will be specified in either the Owners Manual or Service Manual or Wiring Diagram notes, or all 3.

Cheers,

Ken

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 S2 Fog Lamp-5.3-vdp-8801.01.jpg  
adenshillito (10-29-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

I had fog lamps on my Series 3 and they were mounted below the bumper, below the inner headlight position so as to not obstruct the lower radiator grill. The wiring looms usually had the wires for them, but the switch position might not be there. Sometimes Lucas just used one switch and inhibited the 4th position if a fog lamp was not fitted. My Mark 2 was like this, and I remember "uninhibiting" the switch when I fitted Fograngers. Of course I had to get a new switch escutcheon, but in the early 80s this was easier than it would be now.

adenshillito (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 04:48 AM

Confusing obviously because the empirical example in front of me operates differently from the information being provided. This car has obviously been significantly rewired (as well as having S3 lamps with changeable bulbs). Didn't know that the manufacturer's markings on the dial in the car ('fog') was only applicable if after-market lamps had been added, as it stands the use of this switch activates the smaller 5" 'inner' lamps while the dip switch and 'head lamp' settling operate the larger 7" lamps which change between high and low beams as required.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

As far as I can tell, and I've been messing with my 83, the lighting is fairly standard, 1,2 or 3.

Out boards, whether 5 1/4" or 7" have two filaments. Termed in one nomenclature as "high and low".

Inboards, all or most 5 1/4" have a single filament. High in that nomenclature.

Most driving in he dark, done on low, out boards only on.

Go to high for hiway and all four light up on the high filaments.

FOGS a different tale.

Carl

adenshillito (11-02-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

It certainly sounds as if somebody has played around with the lighting on the car. The nature of fog is such that fog lights have always been mounted low down so the driver doesn't get light scatter off the fog light. I have to say, though, that most times I have used fog lights they are pretty much close to useless !

As the foglight wiring will already be in the front looms, I reckon somebody has disconnected the main beam line to the inner lamp, and connected up the fog light wire. Easy to do, but it will never be much use as a fog lamp.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

+1 to Fraser . . .
So Aden, here's a plan for you to consider . . .

Leave the outer main headlights as is (dipping from low to high); reconnect the inner main headlights to original wires (as high only); and finally, purchase a pair of Cibie or Hella fog lights (I think Jaguar used both at this time) to fit under bumper bar as per pics here (as far apart as possible), and re-route the fog wiring to these new lamps. As you can see from several of the pics, front fog light setup was not just "after market" but supplied as either standard or optional Jaguar fitment according to the car's build spec sheet. End result . . . fully original; practical; and makes use of a genuine Jaguar option.

My experience in the Daimler VDP in my earlier post (and in several other Jags and other marques) is much like Fraser's, I think . . .
  • Fog lights can be good - especially in sleet or light snow, but only if they can operate with mains off, thus minimizing the glare of your lights being reflected back into your own eyes! But . . .
  • Fog lights are rarely great - I found that the best defense for pea-soupers and snowfalls was to stay at home!!! Not many places here in Oz that compete with the nasty stuff you chaps encounter each winter in UK or North America . . . but my stint of many winters here in our Blue Mountains filled many a nightmare!
Cheers,

Ken

Old 11-02-2016, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

In CA, one can not drive with FOGs or "driving lights" only. The "mains"
must be lit as well. DMV reg's!!

In Ca's central valley we have "Tule Fog". Very dense. Lamps of any kind do little.

I've been there!!! Awful choices. Keep going. The side of the pavement is marked with a white line. Do not cross, who knows what the shoulder conditions are???

Pull over?? Into a ditch???

Keep going. Don't hit a car or truck in front of you!! Hope you see the tail lamps.

Keep going, the car or truck may hit you if you don't!!!

Much earlier, I encountered similar dilemnas on AZ's Sonoran desert.
Severe dust storm followed by blinding rain.

Fog's more of a decorative symbol than useful. At least in the USA's SW.

I've a pair of period correct Hella's for my Jaguar, but have never
gotten around to hang them...

Thar down and under thing, a partial reason.

Carl

Old 11-03-2016, 10:56 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Nah! Fog lights are just like fashion accessories over here.
Many yoofs, and some older people, drive with them on whether it's foggy or not. In London it's not foggy very often. Look my car's got fog lights. Annoying if it's the rear ones!

Front fog lights are debatably useful, but rear fog lights are essential, in foggy weather.
Trouble is you can't rely on the car which might be in front to have adequate rear lights.
My rule is always "only drive as fast as you can see!". So slow down on bends, hills, fog, rain etc.
Automatic rear fog lights would be great and should be compulsory.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Anjum:

I'm with you. Fogs on the front look "cool". Guilty as charged. I've done it on more than one past critter. My IHC Scout II had "fog lights" above the front bumper. And ex cop car moveable 'spot lights" on the "A" pillars. It did look "cool".

In my high school days, 70 years ago, adding lights was a craze of guys known elsewhere as "hoons". Can't use out version!!!

I do like the idea of rear fogs. Different purpose. Not to illuminate the road ahead, but to mark one's presence for traffic behind. "Don't hit me, I'm here". Mutual benefit.

Sadly, per our CVC, not permissible. But, modern big bright reds do well there.

Carl