XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

96 XJS vs 79 Corvette Repair Tme Which Vehicle Will Be Up and Running First

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 96 XJS vs 79 Corvette Repair Tme Which Vehicle Will Be Up and Running First

I have a 96 xjs that had a crappy engine shaking idle I say had because the damn thing won't start (see poor idle won't start thread)

I have a 79 Corvette that I removed the engine and will rebuild it and will reinstall it in the vehicle.

Starting this Friday, I will spend the same amount of time on each vehicle in the following fashion Work on each vehicle every other week (will start with jag first)

Engine rebuild vs starting/drivability issue. I'm betting the Corvette will be up and running first. My rant is these damn jags are difficult to diagnose/repair and parts are expensive. Will post what I have done to each vehicle on a weekly basis.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by lonejag
I have a 96 xjs that had a crappy engine shaking idle I say had because the damn thing won't start (see poor idle won't start thread)

I have a 79 Corvette that I removed the engine and will rebuild it and will reinstall it in the vehicle.

Starting this Friday, I will spend the same amount of time on each vehicle in the following fashion Work on each vehicle every other week (will start with jag first)

Engine rebuild vs starting/drivability issue. I'm betting the Corvette will be up and running first. My rant is these damn jags are difficult to diagnose/repair and parts are expensive. Will post what I have done to each vehicle on a weekly basis.
Hardly sounds fair unless the problem with both vehicles is the same.
I would wager l could fix a flat on my jag quicker than you can get that motor back in your corvette.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are in a sense. Both vehicles are in a non running state. Diagnosis vs removal teardown/reassembly and reinstallation of an engine. Diagnosis, possibly replacing" plug and play" parts. One would think the jag would be up and running fist. So your flat tire vs a engine rebuild "wager" is not a fair comparison

Old 03-31-2016, 09:53 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The Corvette is light years behind in technology (same engine as the mid 50's Corvettes) so it's hardly an equal race.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Putting an engine together just requires putting parts together, fixing a car requires actual diagnosis. A parts monkey can rebuild an engine but can't diagnose a problem, so the time required is all up to you.

If you have all the parts, rebuilding an engine takes no time at all, but then again, diagnosing a no-start shouldn't be too time consuming either. The car needs spark, fuel/air, and compression.

So far you threw spark plugs at it and decided it was a piece of junk and started a thread about throwing the engine away. Judging by your own confidence in your diagnostic skills, I would bet the corvette will be done first.

If you go through the process of diagnosing the Jags problem and don't count time spent as time waiting on all the parts to come in the mail you want to throw at it until it works, then the Jag would be done pretty quickly.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
The Corvette is light years behind in technology (same engine as the mid 50's Corvettes) so it's hardly an equal race.
He is dumping fuel on one side of the engine, so injectors are probably stuck open or are being signaled to stay open. So probably injectors, wiring, ECU, or O2 issue, maybe a valve issue but unlikely.

replacing" plug and play" parts.
OP put spark plugs in it and replaced the coils without testing anything. So it isn't that the AJ16 is complicated and the old pushrod SBC isn't, it's that the OP spends more time making threads about how crappy his iconic straight-six is than actually diagnosing a problem on it.

But you are right, that hardly makes it an equal race.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

This post just sounds like new to Jag owner venting. It's always good to take a step back take a break and it'll look better in the morning. Keep the faith Brother!

Old 03-31-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

The original poster not only has this opinion about his AJ16 powered car which is one of the most reliable, easiest to work on Jaguars **ever** but he was also ranting about how terrible the V12 engines are in another thread. So either this is just all joke or he just does not like Jaguars. If this is all for laughs, then good job, you have a lot of people engaged.....If he is serious and does not like Old Jaguars, I don't understand why he owns a 20 y.o XJS.

This forum is full of AJ16 failure topics. If he starts using the search function instead of complaining about the cars and wanting to lump them, maybe he can figure out what's wrong with his car

Old 03-31-2016, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

FWIW I work on lots of Jags and lots of old Corvettes. Both have unique problem/repairs areas that might seem tough at first but become easier with practice and experience.

Hmmm..... pretty much like everything else in life, huh ?

Anyhow, IMHO, it's only fun if you look at each new problem as an opportunity to learn and gain experience. Jags, Corvettes, cool old cars, special interest cars, hot rods....whatever...they all have quirks and all can be difficult at times. It's all part of the game, right? If someone is gonna be resentful about that then...well....I'm not sure what to say

Cheers
DD

Old 03-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
The original poster not only has this opinion about his AJ16 powered car which is one of the most reliable, easiest to work on Jaguars **ever** but he was also ranting about how terrible the V12 engines are in another thread. So either this is just all joke or he just does not like Jaguars. If this is all for laughs, then good joRightb, you have a lot of people engaged.....If he is serious and does not like Old Jaguars, I don't understand why he owns a 20 y.o XJS.

This forum is full of AJ16 failure topics. If he starts using the search function instead of complaining about the cars and wanting to lump them, maybe he can figure out what's wrong with his car
Right, I've tried to make a point to check back to see if he has made an update and found X and Y is working but Z is acting funny.

Instead, I have only either seen new threads complaining or additional posts in previous threads complaining.

In his main thread, I tried to offer direction on diagnostics and he still hasn't responded back with anything to do with diagnosing the issue, just more complaints. I don't understand.

I'm pretty lost.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
He is dumping fuel on one side of the engine, so injectors are probably stuck open or are being signaled to stay open. So probably injectors, wiring, ECU, or O2 issue, maybe a valve issue but unlikely.
Or lack of spark and the fuel is just going right through the engine. Based on his earlier description in another thread, I think it's the whole set of coils is bad. I'd certainly be taking a hard look at them, or possibly rigging up some test coilpacks and silicone wire lead. I did that on a Lincoln Mark VIII to find a bad plug. A wire to extend the coil on plug make it possible to put on a timing light and see if there is voltage in the wire. Also tests the possibility of a bad coil.