XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Door Adjustment, glass adjustment etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Door Adjustment, glass adjustment etc

Hello guys,

My car is going in to have the entire sides re sprayed (probably stripped to bare metal) due to problems with bubbling etc from the last paint job. Hopefully this time I will be satisfied with the work, and I wanted to get some things done "right" while its at the shop:

1-I want the doors adjusted properly so they are flush when shut. What do I need to do?

2-the door glass seems to have been improperly installed after the previous paint job. It seems like it goes up and down in a incorrect way. How do I get it back to factory specifications?

3-the outside passenger side door handle does not want to return to its normal position easily on its own. How do I get it back to normal?

4-When I wash the car it gets wet on the inside. What seals do I need to replace?

5-when they lifted the convertible top to paint last time it seems like it was not the same along the bottom seam. Is it a cable that needs to be replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Old 03-24-2015, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Spike
I cannot help with the glass, but the door adjusts as follows:

Loosen hinge nuts in A pillar (in a large access holes behind the shin level trim)
Loosen hinge bolts in door (door trim off)
Trial and error (tilting in/out; shunting in/out; raising lowering until it is right. using a jack under the door helps with someone helping you!

If the door shut on the B pillar is a bit proud, or a bit misaligned up and down, but otherwise OK from the tilt point of view, loosen the torx screws a touch and move the B pillar locking bit up and down and in and out as required.

If all is well but the front edge/wing is not quite right, then the wing top has to be loosened on its bolts along the gutter and (hard to get at) ones in the gap under the A pillar and it can be aligned quite easily with the door leading edge.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
Spikepaga (03-25-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

sometimes the regulator can be adjusted a little to let it go up more naturally, but generally the issue with windows going up is with the seals inside the track being worn away and not properly supporting the window to let it track correctly

The following 2 users liked this post by sidescrollin:
Greg in France (03-25-2015), Spikepaga (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Spike
I cannot help with the glass, but the door adjusts as follows:

Loosen hinge nuts in A pillar (in a large access holes behind the shin level trim)
Loosen hinge bolts in door (door trim off)
Trial and error (tilting in/out; shunting in/out; raising lowering until it is right. using a jack under the door helps with someone helping you!

If the door shut on the B pillar is a bit proud, or a bit misaligned up and down, but otherwise OK from the tilt point of view, loosen the torx screws a touch and move the B pillar locking bit up and down and in and out as required.

If all is well but the front edge/wing is not quite right, then the wing top has to be loosened on its bolts along the gutter and (hard to get at) ones in the gap under the A pillar and it can be aligned quite easily with the door leading edge.

Greg
Thanks very much Greg. That solves the door alignment problem

Old 03-25-2015, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
sometimes the regulator can be adjusted a little to let it go up more naturally, but generally the issue with windows going up is with the seals inside the track being worn away and not properly supporting the window to let it track correctly
Thanks!

So do I need to buy new tracks or refurbish them??

Thanks!!

Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Spikegaga,

The old "XJS Supplementary Information" CDROM contains a few sections on water leaks in a Convertible and how to seal them. It also contains a section on how to adjust the front and rear windows for fore / aft and lateral movements. You could (happily!) spend a weekend going through the various water sealing and glass adjustment procedures.

The old CDROM is Jaguar part number JHM1123. You can still buy this from Jaguar Heritage shop here: Jaguar Heritage. Technical Publication DVDs

I also understand that the content of this CDROM is now contained within the new overall Jaguar XJS DVD also available from Jaguar Heritage.

Hope that helps

Paul