XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Jag Purists Will Hate This Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Jag Purists Will Hate This Video

I was searching YouTube for "Jaguar XJS" when I came across this video by a guy in Iraq.
Like it, or hate it, you have to hand it to the guy for design execution and craftsmanship. It's unusual, to say the least, but, from what I see of it in this short video, I think I like it better than the ungainly (in my opinion) Monaco2 conversion from several years back. It caught my attention well enough that I now want to see the final product.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Looks like an XK8 mated with a catfish. Still, I'll wait to pass judgement till it's finished

Old 10-17-2013, 08:36 AM

Yeah, you can definitely see an XK8 influence in the design, which is understandable when you consider how much of the XJS is carried over to the XK8.

From a craftsmanship standpoint, the work looks well executed, and of high quality. It almost looks too good to think the guy fabricated it himself, as if it is actually some obscure conversion kit that I've never seen, nor, heard of. I see a few rough edges, and corners that need to be filled better, but, judging by the quality of the rest of the work, I'm certain he will take care of those details, and then some.

From a design standpoint, it's not the style I would choose for my own car, but, I like to see someone using the XJS as a basis for something creative. Such endeavors might even gain enough interest that it increases the value of our cars.

The original lines of the XJS work so well together, that coming up with something that is different, yet aesthetically pleasing is a challenge to even the best designers. I've seen people really hack up XJSs when trying to customize them. Some people didn't have the skill needed to translate their vision into reality, and the quality of their work was so bad that their dream car became a laughing stock. With others, there's no better way to say it than to state that their vision simply sucked.

This guy obviously has a very clear idea of how he wants his car to look, and seems to have the skill to pull it off well, even if others don't like his design, or the fact that he was brazen enough to so radically change the looks of the "sacred" XJS. Although I think the front end might look better without the nostrils, I have to wonder if he will use those as air intakes, or as a means of giving a set of driving lights a molded in appearance.

Having a 30+ year background in art and design, this quick video piques my interest and curiosity quite a bit. Considering the controversial nature of what the guy is doing, the apparent high quality with which he is doing it, and with over 100 people on this forum having already viewed this thread and video, I'm surprised there are not more comments.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it will be a radical car when finished. I'll hold off on judging until I see the final product. Does anyone make an XJS fiberglass hood?

I would like to see one with vents and a way to keep the under hood temps lower as the heat usually causes the most overheating and fuel line failures and fires.

What body kits are available?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Scoupe89
I think it will be a radical car when finished. I'll hold off on judging until I see the final product. Does anyone make an XJS fiberglass hood?

I would like to see one with vents and a way to keep the under hood temps lower as the heat usually causes the most overheating and fuel line failures and fires.

What body kits are available?
Scoupe89, check with V12 Sales, here: Jaguar Home Page
You can tell by the asking price, that they are proud of their hoods.
You'll also see that they sell the ugly Monaco conversion for the XJS.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

It kind of reminds me of a Lister Le Mans with a modified bonnet. I'm not sure I like the additional driving light cut outs on the bonnet, makes the car look a bit like one of those Mitsubishi or Toyota Celica go fasts. He's got his work cut out for him, that's for sure.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 10-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

The XJS body lines are timeless, but the headlights give it away, lens or quads. In fact, I think that the XJS body style can easily accept improved shape headlights and this guy's idea, I believe, hits the spot. They kind of bend a little around the corner and they would easily accept projector HID headlights. Don't know about those extra holes, though.
Interesting one of a kind project.
We need to wait and see.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I must say I was fascinated with the amount of time and energy that has already been put into the car. When I saw that this was in Iraq I assumed that this would be a total train wreck just knowing how scarce materials are there right now. The whole video the guy is shaping the fiberglass headlamp bezel which again shows the amount of time and focus is going into making this car something special to him.

To me it really said something about the value of a car like this. We are so use to having ( at least here in America ) so many older XJS' for sale and pretty cheap I might add. I think it is easy in some respects to reinforce in our minds that the XJS is to some degree not as desirable to most people as they are to us personally. I know for myself I ended up choosing the XJS to start out with because the older Jags from the E type back had gotten so expensive and the XK8 was not old enough to be on the cusp of being a classic yet. Since owning the XJS I cannot imagine not having this car in my life.

Buying my first XJS IMO, was like asking a girl to the prom in high school because the girl you really wanted to take either was out of your league or was already taken. It seemed like at the time you had limited choices so you went with your best available option knowing you really wanted a XK150 or E type . Then something unexpected happens and that second choice ends up really growing on you. Again it is like that girl you ended up taking to the prom that ends up being so cool and special that you cannot get her out of your mind. You end up feeling like you got the best end of the deal and would not trade her for anything.

I still have to pinch myself when my XJS is at a car show sitting next to a $80,000 E- type and honestly as cool as the E type is I still want to take home the XJS.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I must say I was fascinated with the amount of time and energy that has already been put into the car. When I saw that this was in Iraq I assumed that this would be a total train wreck just knowing how scarce materials are there right now. The whole video the guy is shaping the fiberglass headlamp bezel which again shows the amount of time and focus is going into making this car something special to him.

To me it really said something about the value of a car like this. We are so use to having ( at least here in America ) so many older XJS' for sale and pretty cheap I might add. I think it is easy in some respects to reinforce in our minds that the XJS is to some degree not as desirable to most people as they are to us personally. I know for myself I ended up choosing the XJS to start out with because the older Jags from the E type back had gotten so expensive and the XK8 was not old enough to be on the cusp of being a classic yet. Since owning the XJS I cannot imagine not having this car in my life.

Buying my first XJS IMO, was like asking a girl to the prom in high school because the girl you really wanted to take either was out of your league or was already taken. It seemed like at the time you had limited choices so you went with your best available option knowing you really wanted a XK150 or E type . Then something unexpected happens and that second choice ends up really growing on you. Again it is like that girl you ended up taking to the prom that ends up being so cool and special that you cannot get her out of your mind. You end up feeling like you got the best end of the deal and would not trade her for anything.
Well said.
The more I look at it, the more I have to think that the inboard holes almost have to be for a type of ram-air cold air intake. A set of driving lights in that position would ruin the looks of the car, and make it look like an insect.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

It always amazes me how much time someone is willing to give to something when they have limited options. For example Cuba comes to mind as the island was virtually cut off of supplies like cars in the 1950's. I was fascinated to see in some documentaries about Cuba how many older cars were still being driven on the island. Seemed like there were almost all 1950 era cars still being driven and most were pretty rusted out. Made sense after you found out that the island was virtually cut off from replacement autos for years and so the Cubans had no other choice but to keep the cars they had running. I had heard it was not uncommon to find things like a GM carb on a Ford or a door hinge that had been reworked several times.

In many cases it is cheaper to buy a well kept older XJS then strip and repaint one here in America. When you consider how much it takes to restore a car today I have to always caution people to really look at the big picture before they tackle a car that is in pretty bad shape. Of course in some parts of the world the car that is in front of you may be the only one available no matter what shape it is in.