XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Just a Few XJS General Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a Few XJS General Questions

I am not new to Jaguar, BUT I have always been an XJ40 man. Ive had 8. This is my first true XJS. So please Bare with me.

I rescued a 1994 XJS 2+2 4.0 Convertible. She runs great, shifts out great. The guy didnt care about Jags as he should of if your going to own an XJS, the brake lights didnt work, he had all the wiring F'd up. took a week to fix that. (it kept blowing the fuse, come to find out the 3rd brake light was shorting out).

Anyways she is Signal Red with Tan top and tan interior.

My questions are, and yes ive tried looking on here but, I have the Euro Headlights, yes i am waiting to do the Quad conversion as soon as my hands can get some. But for the moment I want to know this, there are 2 bulbs in my Euro lights. One small one and the main Hi/Low 9004 bulb. What is the small bulb? when i turn my headlights on and brighten and dim them, i see no difference in the brightness with this bulb..what is its purpose?

Also, does anyone else have 2 different size lug studs on everyone of their rims? My wheel lugs studs have 2 large studs and 3 smaller studs...on ever wheel. Is this normal?

Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by trwml1983
My questions are, and yes ive tried looking on here but, I have the Euro Headlights, yes i am waiting to do the Quad conversion as soon as my hands can get some. But for the moment I want to know this, there are 2 bulbs in my Euro lights. One small one and the main Hi/Low 9004 bulb. What is the small bulb? when i turn my headlights on and brighten and dim them, i see no difference in the brightness with this bulb..what is its purpose?
First of all, well done rescuing your cat!!

The "Euro" headlights were the only ones available for the the facelift cars. I have seen a few people convert to the older quad lamp setups but you don't see that too often. The small bulb is the parking light, it comes on when you turn the sidelights on, it's a 5w bulb. The other bulb is the dipped beam-high beam bulb.

Originally Posted by trwml1983
Also, does anyone else have 2 different size lug studs on everyone of their rims? My wheel lugs studs have 2 large studs and 3 smaller studs...on ever wheel. Is this normal?
What kind of wheels do you have? My car has the same lugs on each wheel.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:02 PM

if it will post these are my rims on my cat.

Attached Thumbnails Just a Few XJS General Questions-20140223_165518.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

Might have had a locking wheel nut at some time ??

Looks like your rear windows aren't working either. Mine are unplugged as they decide themselves if they want to come back up........

Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

congrats on the xjs looks good.

I have the same rims on my car i haven't had mine very long yet ether. so i haven't had them off yet to see any different size lugs. so sorry im no help there.

your tires look good though they look meaty what size and brand are they?

i initially wanted quad headlights as well. but the euro headlights have grown on me and i think i prefer them better now. the quads just don't look like they fit as well. i took my lenses off my headlights and cleaned them up and polished them and they look much better and can see much better now. the single headlights are also the proper headlights the quads were a us only thing

Old 03-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

The different sized lugs are undoubtedly someone's attempt to make it a little more difficult to steal wheels. (the thief would have to have two different sized tools to remove all the lugs on the tire?)

I fitted the qualm lamps on my car. I prefer them over the original single lens look. Its an easy swap.

I hope this doesn't kick off an argument over which looks better...

Old 03-02-2014, 05:01 PM

Well the back windows are having an issue...i have yet to resolve...lol...still trying to figure that one out.

The tires are actually very small for the car...they are 190/65/15.....the are Prime Well.....i am looking at putting some Corvette Rally Rim on her, with 225/65/15 on the front and 235/70/15 on the back.

The tires were black lettered and i had seen a pic on google that i loved that had an XJS with white letter tires on it...LOVED IT...so I took the cheap route to see if i would like, and white paint penned the letters in.

and i was thinking that the different lugs might could have been for the antitheft reason....but a 4way wrench took care of that idea, LOL.

I live in the US so, the quad lights were what i grew up seeing...I feel in my opinion...that they are classic to my cultural area..lol...my euro lens' are cracked and im afraid to touch them yet alone clean them, LOL.

But The main reason Im wanting to go with the quad (for looks obviously) is that i had found some red halos....Ive have aptly named my cat Christine...Loved the movie..and just seemed to fit..plus I want my wife afraid of her.....we got married 3 years ago and she had "made" me get rid of my 95 XJ6 that I had bought myself for my birthday.....after the sell of the car...she turns to me 15 mins later and goes...I actually started to like that car...I THREW A FIT! so i told her my XJS is off limits...i bought it for myself and she is only allowed to ride in it when invited...LMAO...thus Christine was born..haha

Old 03-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

love the story on the car lol. i flip a number of cars every year and sometimes when i have something i think is cool to flip i hold onto them for a few month's to play before i sell it, normally when that happens i start getting nagged about when are you going to sell that bla bla bla. so i made it very clear when i bought my xjs "I'm buying this car for myself it is not getting sold"

it must be the white letters that make the tires look like that on the car i have 235/70/15's on mine and i thought yours looked bigger.

from what i have read i was originally wanting to put quads in mine as well. the quads should bolt right in place of the euro's

another thought on the larger lugs is maybe they buggered up some studs and had to drill out to bigger studs on a few.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

#1, is it possible that the chrome covers have come off of the lugs? I don't know if this is possible, but I have a Jeep Cherokee the same way, but that is the problem.
#2, when tracking down those power window problems, if you look at a wiring diagram, you will see that everything that opperates them is in one place. Not sure where that is on a 2+2, I have a 89 and its in the storage compartment behind the seats. Anyway, my rear windows seemed to have a mind of their own. Would nyou believe that when I changed out the fluid, to repair a bad seal inside the pump, I put the correct fluid in, NOT ATF nor power steering fluid, and evidently the amp draw required to push whatever fluid was in it, would cause the rear windows to work erratically, and the power top to be exceptionally slow!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

Power top pump and relays are in the boot/trunk right side. Maybe relays are unplugged.....

Old 03-02-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by superchargedtr6
#1, is it possible that the chrome covers have come off of the lugs? I don't know if this is possible, but I have a Jeep Cherokee the same way, but that is the problem.
see this is what i thought at first.....but when i had the wheels off to white the letters...and tried to put the lugs back on...some lugs only fit certain studs, thats how i realized that the lug studs were different sizes.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by malc4d
Power top pump and relays are in the boot/trunk right side. Maybe relays are unplugged.....
i went thru and switched out all the relays and tinkered with the idea that some were faulty, but i tried them elsewhere and the relays were good. So the windows are still getting me. Ive ran down all fuses and im still trying to find the thermal breakers, maybe they have something to do with it...BUT like was said earlier, i have the 2+2 i dont have the lil compartment where the back seat is...i have a back seat...lol

Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 PM

So I have another question, With the quad lights...if I wanted to keep with the 9004 bulb and plug....does anyone know of a 5.75 lens that will accept the bulb..and be able to use the center as a fog light? has anyone thought of this concept?

Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 AM

ok, so after being apparently delirious last night...i now realize that you cannot put a 9004 bulb in such a shallow round headlight.....i blame it on the meds, lol but it would be a cool thought.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

trwml1983, I had quarter windows that went up or down whenever they wanted to. I unplugged the power roof module and ran small wires to from the relays to a toggle switch on the console. Push forward to raise and pull back to lower. The roof switch works as always but will raise and lower the roof without the park brake being on or the transmission being in neutral or park. In other words, the quarter windows and the roof work at my will without interference from a 'module'.
I know this mod may bring howls from purists and safety nerds but the car has to do as I wish and not as some error, wear prone expensive and difficult to find electric gadget dictates. I am smart enough to not raise the roof at speed.
Cheers, RagJag

The following users liked this post:
buddyluv (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by RagJag
trwml1983, I had quarter windows that went up or down whenever they wanted to. I unplugged the power roof module and ran small wires to from the relays to a toggle switch on the console. Push forward to raise and pull back to lower. The roof switch works as always but will raise and lower the roof without the park brake being on or the transmission being in neutral or park. In other words, the quarter windows and the roof work at my will without interference from a 'module'.
I know this mod may bring howls from purists and safety nerds but the car has to do as I wish and not as some error, wear prone expensive and difficult to find electric gadget dictates. I am smart enough to not raise the roof at speed.
Cheers, RagJag
Im going to have to look into that...as right now...my top is in manual mode anyway because of the pump being empty of oil. I have to remove it and find the leak. But I havent been able to get power to the Quarters regardless...I dont mind bypassing the e-brake. as i am not going to open the top going down the road either, lol. and i would like to have a separate switch for those windows as well.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by RagJag
may bring howls from purists and safety nerds but the car has to do as I wish and not as some error, wear prone expensive and difficult to find electric gadget dictates.
there is Purists...and then there is practical....our cars have somethings that are just meant to stay pure....other things we have learned what not to do and how to get it done...lol.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

The seal inside the pump is most likely bad. I bought one on eBay for 14.00, and seem to have cured mine from leaking. You only have to take the motor off of the pump assembly. Don't take the pump apart. There are two tiny little ball bearings in there that can get gone pretty easily. Correct fluid, and now my top goes up or down in the 6 seconds mentioned in the shop manual.