XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

My car is arriving today

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My car is arriving today

Hi everyone,

My car is arriving today. A 1990 xjs convertible with about 33,000 miles.
I am really excited. So maybe I can get some more advise from everyone.
I guess I should change the oil and oil filter. Any particular filter? Should I just top off the coolant, or should I flush and replace? I should probably check the spark plugs and wires... The big question is this Marelli Distributor and rotor. I have reviewed the information and the photos that are available.
Is the silicone procedure as simple as it seems or can there be complications in doing it? Please advise me if I have missed something that I should do.
Thanks for the help
Jim

Old 07-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Here's MY opinion. Others will vary :-)

Begin with a very careful inspection of the car, stem-to-stern, top-to-bottom. You're bound to find at least a few things needing some love on a 23 year old car.

Then, assuming nothing horrible is revealed.....

....and unless there's verifiable proof to the contrary.....

When I buy a used car of any make I assume that all the routine service items are overdue and need attention. I change all filters, fluids, and lubricants. Repack wheel bearings, change spark plugs...the whole enchilada.

That's me. It might be a bit much for some, and it might be a case of "over-servicing"...but it makes me feel better.

A V12 Jag needs an immediate inspection of fuel hoses. If they're original....and I'll bet they are....I'd recommend replacing them. This is important.

As for the Marelli ignition by all means remove the dist cap for a good look-see and do the silicone thing. It isn't hard.

Check the cooling system but don't drain/flush until you are familiar with (and ready to deal with) the bleeding procedure...which can get messy.

Others will chime in with more

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
JimmyC (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 AM

Thanks very much Doug. So I should cut that distributor shaft flush to the plate for the marelli adjustment procedure. Yes the fuel hoses. I can see how that is very important.
Would you by chance have a part number or is this a common hose? All I have at the moment is the Kirby book, so I might be lacking some info. Anyway, Thanks very much for your help
Jim

Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Good Luck Jim,
Hope you get many happy miles along the way!
Like the E-Type the XJS is BEAUTIFUL............ WOW!
We hope to see the pics?
Regards and compliments to your energising QUEST!
Stu

JimmyC (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Congratulations on your new purchase!

If the car comes with history and receipts a lot of things might have already been done.

No sense in replacing fuel hoses that where replaced a month ago or flushing new coolant out , etc.

One thing to make sure you have is a fire extinguisher. I have them in all 3 Jaguars now, never needed them, but I have heard enough things.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
JimmyC (07-03-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-04-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks Spikepaga for your input. Yes the fire extinguisher it the first item that I am buying before I get the vehicle. I have read too much .... maybe even too too much !!!!
Thanks Stuart for your reply. I will definitely do pictures.
Jim

Old 07-04-2013, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Jaguar is a fine Brand respected the World over.
Your taste is divine and spread the word.
I have great admiration for you guys who take on a challenge with these historical icons of great beauty, design and massive engineering input.
I also have undisputed total respect for people who can go and buy the latest car out out of a showroom, but that's easy when you have the money.
To venture forth into such a classic era of times gone by and cherish, restore and make good what someone else could not or would not do is Pioneering and giving people like me a taste of how good and worthwhile these cars are is just fantastical.
The majority of modern cars is a sad indightment and collusionof lazy and greedy people who just want to make money and sadly also, the mainstream view is not one I aspire to or cherish in any way.
Keeping a cherished, valued and respected legend like a Jaguar (and a Great Model) on the road is probably not an easy task but I respect you guys immensely!
Keep it up and we look forward to more pics!
Good Luck, Feel and Live the Spirit, be enchanted, be Unique and Live the Dream.
We can aspire to many things but being there and living that moment is precious only so many people can imagine, enjoy your vision and exploit the reality.
Drive that XJS without a care in the world and let the others stand and stare!
Personally I do that when I've just polished a car, but the satisfaction is spell-binding when I have just cleaned my Jaguar!
Relish the Quest and let the adrenalin flow!
Regards, Stu

Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Hi Stuart, I have the car now !!!! What a beauty..... Your words encompass what life should be..... Live the Moment....... I try to do that as much as possible. I hope that everyone reads your words and Live the Moment the best one can. Stay in touch.
Jim

Stuart Beattie (07-05-2013)