XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New owner... old questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:20 PM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts
Default New owner... old questions...

Hello XJS owners,

I just got miself 1985 XJS with 3.6 engine and manual gearbox. It took about 4.5 hrs of driving to bring her home, and this is about how long I had it! I have to say I am experiencing a bit of a pain after this drive (I am not used to holding a big smile for so long :-D ) I know pics are required for this post, but it is already dark....

Few question I wanted to ask right away:

- the fan(radiator) - it is obviously not bolted to the pulley it sits on(when car is off I can spin it, but it is not totally free ), it looks like it should be sitting on temperature operated clutch(engaging at certain temperature), but when I start cold car the fan spins full speed and makes noise. Is it something that needs fixing? Or is it normal?

- the gear shifter - every gear (maybe except 4th) is at the very end of the handle movement. The linkage appears beat-up. Feels like it need to be tightened up. Is there a kit for it?

- are those URO front/back window rubber trims any good (saw them in rockauto parts store)? Mine are all cracked and in few places there is a little gap between body and rubber, looks like invitation for water to get in.

-any common problems I need to check right away for this car? (I will read sticky notes after this post)

I had more questions, but I am reading manual that came with the car and it answers some... Here is an interesting quote: "Do not use any device that requires an insert into spark plug hole in order to generate air pressure (e.g. tyre pump, paint spray attachment, etc.)..." :-)

Cheers!

Old 03-30-2016, 08:18 AM

Here she is:

As far as looking for engine parts - what models would have the same engine? If I look for XJS engine parts only V12 versions comes up in many catalogs.

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails New owner... old questions...-xjs1.jpg  
Old 03-30-2016, 08:28 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

SNG, XKs, Welsch Ent., and Terry's have catalogs.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ2003XJ8
- the fan(radiator) - it is obviously not bolted to the pulley it sits on(when car is off I can spin it, but it is not totally free ), it looks like it should be sitting on temperature operated clutch(engaging at certain temperature), but when I start cold car the fan spins full speed and makes noise. Is it something that needs fixing? Or is it normal?

- the gear shifter - every gear (maybe except 4th) is at the very end of the handle movement. The linkage appears beat-up. Feels like it need to be tightened up. Is there a kit for it?

- are those URO front/back window rubber trims any good (saw them in rockauto parts store)? Mine are all cracked and in few places there is a little gap between body and rubber, looks like invitation for water to get in.

-any common problems I need to check right away for this car? (I will read sticky notes after this post)
There is a viscous clutch on the fan, from what you say this sounds shot (very common, so worth replacing it.
The gear shift linkage does get worn, and there are (I believe but have never done an R&R on a manual) various rubber bushes and other parts in the linkage/lever fulcrums that wear. See this diagram
Change Speed Lever and Mountings-3.6 Litre - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

Are you referring to the window rubbers that hold the windscreen in place front and rear? If so, and they are perished, new OEM ones are still available, Cut the front screen out, having removed the chrome trim, do not try to prise it out or like me you will crack the screen. When the rear is installed with a new rubber, seal all round the rear screen between the body and the rubber with bituminous mastic, poking the nozzle under the rubber lip. This is a notoriously poor design and very hard to seal without mastic, do not omit doing this under the rear screen. Water leaks here are a disaster for the interior and for rust. Mastic round the front screen between the glass and the rubber is a good idea too.
Other common problems:
Replace the water hose under the inlet manifold that nobody knows is there, or it WILL fail spectacularly at the worst possible moment, obviously. It is pipe No. 3 in the diagram below and comes directly off the rear of the water pump:
Water Rail and Heater Hose-3.6 Litre - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK
Grease the rear axle (10 nipples)
Check condition of rear brake discs as these are often shot
Replace rear brake pipe flexible and the two front ones unless you KNOW this has been recently done.
Rust is the number one killer of the XJS. Careful checks for rust and immediate prevention and treatment is essential: floor pans, sill ends, under radiator cross member (hard to see but you must look!), all four jacking points and their surrounding metalwork, front shock absorber strengtheners/inner front wings (look in the engine bay below the top shock fixing down to the lower chassis rail).

Congratulations on owning an XJS and welcome. Get it right and you have a great car.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 03-30-2016 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NJ2003XJ8 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Congratulations on your car!

It's pretty rare to see a 3.6 Manual coupe in the U.S.

I would love to own one of those. I see that the previous owner installed 95V12 chrome wheels on her. Those are some of my favorite XJS wheels as well. Post some more pics when you have a chance-Interior ones as well

Old 03-30-2016, 10:55 AM

Thank you Greg! Thank you Mark J!

Greg,

viscous clutch - is it supposed to be totally disengaged on cold engine?

yes, window rubbers that hold the windscreen in place front and rear. Where can I get OEM - on the website in your link? I see them available in US made by URO(and half the price). Wondering if they are of the same quality as the ones in the link (perhaps the same URO parts ). Thank you very much for tips on installing them!

Will definitely go over the list of things to check, thank you.

Thanks again for the info and warm welcome!

Cheers!

Old 03-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ2003XJ8
viscous clutch - is it supposed to be totally disengaged on cold engine?

yes, window rubbers that hold the windscreen in place front and rear. Where can I get OEM - on the website in your link? I see them available in US made by URO(and half the price). Wondering if they are of the same quality as the ones in the link (perhaps the same URO parts ).
The viscous clutch is meant to be free when the engine is cold and progressively tighten as it gets hotter. If it is making a row at cold there is something wrong. The clutch units are not that durable so changing it is a good plan in any event.
I have no experience of URO stuff, but OEM rubber is normally worth the extra cash if you want to keep the car. Certainly on any suspension bushes, OEM Metalastic brand stuff is essential, anything else just falls apart in no time.
The website on my link is the Jaguar website for their older models. Very useful for checking part numbers, how things go together etc etc.
A couple of other things occur to me: unless you know it has been done within the last year, an engine oil and filter change should be done; also unless you know it has been done within the last 3 years, a gearbox oil change is a good plan, and a differential change as well. The same goes for the engine coolant, as the antifreeze concentration may well be Ok, but the anti-corrosion additive package within the antifreeze stops working after a bit.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 03-30-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:16 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

Nice, I am partial to coups.

I would suggest to change the brake fluid and flush the system.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 PM

Working through the problems :-)

Gearbox linkage is fixed.

Replaced windshield water pump - it works now!

Replaced thermostat and viscous clutch . When I brought the car home, temperature stayed low between C and N so I suspected thermostat was stuck open. Well, the thermostat was ok ( boiled' both new and old in the pot - they opened at about same time). Refilled system, went for a ride and found antifreeze leaking from expansion tank cap. Learned that these cars have overflow catch reservoir and hose that leads to mine is clogged... another thing to work on...
With the new clutch fan still spins on cold car, but it spins definitely slower.

Aligned bonnet, it was not centered and was scratching paint on one side. Not terribly difficult job once I figured how to do it. Front grille comes off. There are 8 bolts, once I loosened them all I was able to align closed bonnet using cardboard shims, tightened 4 that are accessible from outside, then opened bonnet and tightened remaining 4.

Found nice puddle of oil under the car, now that was unexpected.... it leaks on left side and smells like engine oil (but I can't be 100% sure just yet). Another thing to 'to-do' list...

When is that 'fun to ride' time is going to happen?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:12 PM

Cleaned hose that goes to overflow reservoir, yes - there is one behind left wheel.

This is how clogged connector looked like...

Attached Thumbnails New owner... old questions...-20160407_154521.jpg