XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Source of leak on driver's side identified

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Source of leak on driver's side identified

Wanted to share with the community about getting closer to fixing a water leak on driver's side. Through method of elimination, I identified the source of the leak to be the top corner of the A-pillar. Here is the full story.

Previous owner alerted me about occasional leaks he experienced on driver side during rains. The car was always parked in a garage and he did not drive it much, so he did not bother fixing it. But he did tell me about the water getting inside during rains.

I confirmed that was true when I took my cat through car-wash: I felt water dripping on my feet by the time I got out of the car-wash. I quickly dried everything inside, including the floor mats, and decided not to drive the car during rains (which are very infrequent in my area, so no big deal) until I figure out and fix the source of the leak.

Outside inspection was inconclusive. There were many suspects: seals around the windshield; wiper motor pit, etc.

Yesterday, I asked my wife to use water hose and spray water at different areas, one point at a time, while I was sitting (almost laying) inside looking for the source of leakage. That's how I identified that the water is coming through an apparent whole at the top of the A-pillar. see where the arrow is pointing on the picture.

I am thinking about applying clear weatherproof sealant in that corner, to close up the hole. Unless there are other suggestions?

Old 07-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

My car has the same hole. It doesn't leak on the drivers side but I do get a few drop from around the top of the glass toward the rear on the passenger side. Like you my car never sees rain so its no big deal.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by v1rok
Wanted to share with the community about getting closer to fixing a water leak on driver's side. Through method of elimination, I identified the source of the leak to be the top corner of the A-pillar. Here is the full story.

Previous owner alerted me about occasional leaks he experienced on driver side during rains. The car was always parked in a garage and he did not drive it much, so he did not bother fixing it. But he did tell me about the water getting inside during rains.

I confirmed that was true when I took my cat through car-wash: I felt water dripping on my feet by the time I got out of the car-wash. I quickly dried everything inside, including the floor mats, and decided not to drive the car during rains (which are very infrequent in my area, so no big deal) until I figure out and fix the source of the leak.

Outside inspection was inconclusive. There were many suspects: seals around the windshield; wiper motor pit, etc.

Yesterday, I asked my wife to use water hose and spray water at different areas, one point at a time, while I was sitting (almost laying) inside looking for the source of leakage. That's how I identified that the water is coming through an apparent whole at the top of the A-pillar. see where the arrow is pointing on the picture.

I am thinking about applying clear weatherproof sealant in that corner, to close up the hole. Unless there are other suggestions?
The only hole l recall in that area is for a self tapper used to fasten the top windscreen trim at each end. The screw is in turn covered by the A pillar trim where it meets the top trim.
I usually apply some mastic to the screw when fitting.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Yep Bax is right, I sealed mine with PU window sealant and no leaks, from there anyway.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:32 AM

That's what I am planning to do too: use a good quality weatherproof sealant from a home improvement store. Hope it will do the trick

Old 07-05-2017, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

DO NOT use regular silicone it will rust the metal, use a neutral cure and polyurethane if possible.

I use PU window sealant, the same stuff they fit bonded windscreens with, its messy but sticks like you know what to a blanket.

The following users liked this post:
v1rok (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:07 AM

Got it. PU = polyurethane. Will look for non-silicone PU sealant for exterior

Old 07-05-2017, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

I blocked up these A pillar roof drains both sides with mastic. Very good plan. The OEM idea is that roof water runs down between the trim and the steel A pillar and runs to the inner chassis flat plate under the wing - where it pools as there is no obvious exit path, and rusts that part.
Blocking the drains makes no difference at all to anything else, or AFAICS to getting wet when opening the doors. Whilst water will enter through a trim screw, more dangerous is that the A pillar gets rusty as the space gets partially blocked and water hangs around and rusts out the steel.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:30 AM
Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Hi Greg,

I guess you could block the A post drains if there are internal leaks in the internal channel but first I would try blowing them out to check they are not blocked.
The drains are one of several carefully hidden around the XJS bodywork. Andy Harvey has an excellent guide to them on his website: http://www.justxjs.co.uk/admin/resou...why-part-1.pdf

I cleared my drains as Andy recommends and got no end of muck out and I think they all run freely now.
Good luck,
LeeP