XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?

Old 11-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

took the flaking and rusting breather pipe off the engine....
scraped all the paint and rust off with a hobby knife...
painted it with what ever I had on the shelf... seems I had some sparkly metallic...

well if I can not stand it I will get some High temp Black...

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 11-01-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: picture size
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 04:29 PM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Hi there!

This is a common thread style on many Volvo boards, so I thought I'd carry it over

Simply post what you either did to or bought for your XJ-S/XJS today... Pictures, text, videos,... What ever you have!

3 correct SPDT 5Pin relays to make the windscreen wiper motor get its rightful 12v

orangeblossom (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Back home on the V12
once you start cleaning things up, you can not stop...
I need to the radiator fan shroud...
flaking paint and rust... will need to bead blast that one...

orangeblossom (11-02-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Lots of things - I ordered a bunch of parts recently (LED upgrade, hood lift supports, K&N filters, B&M vacuum module) and had plans to pull the ratty headliner off the moonroof cassette, and detail the interior.

The hood supports were the wrong ones (somewhere out there, a guy with a Cadillac Fleetwood is just as disappointed as I am,) and the LED kits are in limbo at the post office until Monday, but the filters are in (the originals were made in West Germany?) and a little busted grommet that I found along the way got replaced. The fit on the grommet is a little loose, but it's way better than it was before.

Also found that door panel removal is ridiculously easy compared to my old Mark VII, and that speaker replacement is going to be a breeze. I just need to tinker with the door to accept a 5-1/4" speaker (looks like the ones in there are 4".) May go even larger in the rear - as long as I can make it look stock, of course.

Door handle fix was a bust though - the metal itself is broken. My hopes for a quick fix have been dashed.

orangeblossom (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 03:36 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Stargazer XJS
Lots of things - I ordered a bunch of parts recently (LED upgrade, hood lift supports, K&N filters, B&M vacuum module) and had plans to pull the ratty headliner off the moonroof cassette, and detail the interior.
did you get the supports from ADVANCE? as there should be the choice of 3 sizes in their kit

orangeblossom (11-05-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by rgp
did you get the supports from ADVANCE? as there should be the choice of 3 sizes in their kit
I ordered them off Amazon. What I received was a completely different part number from what I ordered.

I've found the perfect place to wedge the window scraper to keep the hood up though, so it's no real tragedy. Just the minor annoyance of having to return the parts and wait for the replacement.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

ok guys what is the
"Grant Francis rewire system" ?
Jonathan

Old 11-02-2014, 10:42 PM

I cleaned the interior today. Pulled the headliner from the moon roof cassette and scraped the "yellow snow" off of it until no more would come off.

The seat leather seems lower quality than I'd expect, but maybe it's just thin and brittle from neglect? I know the perforated seats on my '86 Mark VII were dry and damn near "crunchy" until I started treating them regularly with Meguiar's, but the seats in my '92 Mark VII were always soft and supple. I'll keep an eye on them.

Found yet another mysterious 12V connector hiding out between the center console and the driver's seat. I figure when I'm under the ski slope, I'll tug on a couple wires and see if anything moves.

Finally decided on a name, too.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,075 Likes on 5,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
ok guys what is the
"Grant Francis rewire system" ?
Jonathan
If you mean his system for controlling a main electric fan to replace the mechanical rad fan, it is fantastic! He will be along soon to explain I am sure, but I have used it for 3 years now and it is great.

Greg

orangeblossom (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

I altered the center dash air vents by blocking off the middle non adjustable part and putting a ' box ' in there lined with fluffy black material , so I now have slightly stronger air from the two adjustable vents that are with it, and a small cubby hole for my phone etc

BB

orangeblossom (11-06-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 06:57 PM

I got my LED kits!

Then I heard the too-familiar whine of a fuel pump in peril... I may have just found my next project. I just hope the blasted thing isn't in the tank like it always seems to be...

Old 11-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

How do some of you guys have the red oil filler cap? All of mine have been black.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
How do some of you guys have the red oil filler cap? All of mine have been black.

Well if you see my post above I had a Red one... it is doing its level best to be Black...

I have only had the car 3 weeks though...

I found them for sale on the internet for 13.00 red and black...
almost not worth cleaning it up...
can not find it tonight... sorry...

bought:
sun visor clips... one was broken...
fixed drivers seat belt so it is not twisted any more...
drove to work
drove to get daughter from Grandma's
dinner for the kids...

put the top back up
silly quarter window passenger sided worked...
drivers side still down....

made inserts for open quarter window..

keeps the cats out...
covered car for the night... (it was my B-day)

Good night all!

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 11-03-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Clearing away the last remnants of Summer XJS V12

The last remnants of Summer, were finally cleared away as we made preparations to Winterise the XJS that had given us so much fun before the bad Weather closed in.

Where we came to a decision to go out on a high and not re-tax the Car until the Spring.

On that last day of Summer, we had an incredible drive, where we were both enjoying every single moment of adventure.

It really was the perfect day, in the purrfect Car, where we were really feeling 'high on life' so any attempt to try and top that, would have been a bit too much too soon.

Where our journey was packed with excitement from one moment to the next, as that Wonderful XJS ate up every corner and then went down the road like a missile on the straight.

But all good things must come to an end and putting her back in the garage for the very last time this year, was just like saying a final goodbye, to a very dear friend.

We were both crying buckets, it was awful.

So to-day we took everything out of her, in preparation for her Winter layup.

The 'mars bars' 'hats' and emergency snacks as well as all the usual stuff that gets tucked away 'just in case'

At which point the GF grabbed hold of my arm, as we looked down upon the ground at the 'remnants of the Summer'

The 'Shades' we looked so Cool in, or at least thought we did, the 'Cherry Chapstick' and the Suntan Cream, as well as the fluffy toy I bought her on the day that we met, that She will not go anywhere without.

And though I'm sure that there will be adventures still to come, it was a poinient moment when we decided to call it a day for to-day and then put Summer to bed.

Name:  Growler007_zps32d768ff.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  189.8 KB

Last edited by orangeblossom; 11-05-2014 at 08:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (11-07-2014), texasscot (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Had a scare yesterday with my bluetooth cassette adapter... The microphone cable (It's an Ion Audio model so it has hands-free capability ) wasn't in the guides, it was just stuck on the outside, and the cassette wouldn't eject. It was jammed! I tried everything to pry it out of there, damaged the cassette (cosmetic damage only, but still, DAMN!) and feared I was going to wreck the AJ8700, but just before I gave up, I turned off the player which kicked the cassette up, and gave the microphone cable a gentle tug... Thing came right out.

Tonight was LED night - pulled the gauges, cleaned the contacts, installed LEDs (but neglected to uninstall the green filters for the bulbs so it looks kind of overly-green,) and even did the opticell and gear select lights. I can actually see in there again! I did the job with next to no instruction, too. The gauges were super easy. The ski slope was a little more fiddly, but it didn't outsmart me for long.

Unfortunately, I've awakened a new gremlin. Every so often, the speedometer will drop to zero, and my temperature gauge will fly all the way to the top. The two seem related, because both occur simultaneously. It's intermittent, but still irritating.

I'm going to pull the gauges again and look for obvious damage, but if anyone has any advice, I'll be more than thankful.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Valve cover gasket, fixing oil leak; coolant leak fixed; headlamp bulb replaced; cap and rotor replaced (4.0 AJ6). Well, the shop did, anyway.

This is my 2nd cap and rotor in 18 months. Both were binary failures, yesterday's was on the street in the rain. Is regular C&R failures on AJ6s a thing? Is there some maintenance I can do to mitigate the risk of this, like proactive replacement every year, or something?

How does something as simple as the C&R on this engine suffer binary fails? It's a fixed rotor with no timing control of any kind.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:20 AM
P.L
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Twisted drivers seat belt

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
Well if you see my post above I had a Red one... it is doing its level best to be Black...

I have only had the car 3 weeks though...

I found them for sale on the internet for 13.00 red and black...
almost not worth cleaning it up...
can not find it tonight... sorry...

bought:
sun visor clips... one was broken...
fixed drivers seat belt so it is not twisted any more...
drove to work
drove to get daughter from Grandma's
dinner for the kids...

put the top back up
silly quarter window passenger sided worked...
drivers side still down....

made inserts for open quarter window..

keeps the cats out...
covered car for the night... (it was my B-day)

Good night all!

Hi Jonathan-W,
How did you fix the twisted drivers seat belt?
Always wondered what needs to be done...

Thanks,
Peter.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by P.L
Hi Jonathan-W,
How did you fix the twisted drivers seat belt?
Always wondered what needs to be done...

Thanks,
Peter.
Hi Peter,

I have a convertible...
so when I learned to take off the interior panel that covers the rear quarter window motor... I had a good look in there and that is where the seat beat retractor is...

I took the interior panel off and pulled all of the belt out to make sure that it had no fold overs in the spool... (they do sometimes) let it re-spool onto the retractor correctly then had to do a fold over where the belt came through the interior panel to get them in the same side phase...
that done I put the panel back in place and pulled it all out and let it re-spool once again..

sat in the seat and check to see if the clip was correctly phased with the buckle...
not 180 degrees out of phase ( no twist in the belt though)
so then you have to do a very patient fold over to flip the part that plugs into the car...
there is a slot, and in the middle of the slot there is a larger gap that you can start folding over the belt get it started and move the belt through there as you fold over more and more of it until you have the belt side flipped...

then it is all good to go...
flat across the lap and across the shoulder

Old 11-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

received my tire valve stem caps
do not know if I like them or not...

new one on the right old on the left...

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 11-06-2014 at 04:38 PM. Reason: clearity
Old 11-07-2014, 12:35 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

Drove 70 miles to work and back as a DD this week as my 05 XJR split it's overflow tank.
Xjs came home with no more problems than it left with. Just bad paint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?