XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5.0L Engine coolant leaking from strange location.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 05:49 AM
Received 177 Likes on 101 Posts
Default 5.0L Engine coolant leaking from strange location.

2010 5.0L XK 45k miles,

Got the alert coolant low after starting my car today, popped the hood and noticed dripping coolant
from one of the upper fittings on the hoses in front of the engine passenger side,
could anyone tell me what this part is?

Is there any other cooling hoses/parts I should change while I'm doing this?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by trkyam; 06-30-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:21 AM

I think this is just the upper radiator hose,

I wonder why there is the plastic piece in the middle,
It appears the clamps on both sides have weakened causing
the seal to leak, I will check tomorrow and possibly replace with
hose clamps.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:36 AM

So here is the hose that coolant is seeping out of the plastic part.
What is the purpose of the plastic part?

To keep the hose rigid and provide the proper angle?
or
To provide a indication of the condition of other plastics in the cooling system?

Old 07-06-2018, 02:44 AM

The two ends of the hose are different sizes, the plastic in the middle
serves as an adapter, I was able to find a similar hose and will stretch
one end of the hose since the dealer is out of this hose.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by tarokyama
I think this is just the upper radiator hose .....
I'll add the relevant extract from JEPC for anyone with the same issue with the Radiator Top Hose in future:

NOTE: the above is for the NA engine. Here is the equivalent for the SC engine:

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (07-12-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 05:22 AM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tarokyama
The two ends of the hose are different sizes, the plastic in the middle serves as an adapter, I was able to find a similar hose and will stretch one end of the hose since the dealer is out of this hose.
With the original hose, what is the condition of the plastic adapter? If you cannot timely obtain the correct hose, and the plastic is OK, it seems that it would be better to buy two hoses that have the correct inner diameters, and reuse the plastic.

Of course the best bet would be to obtain the correct hose from parts.com or your favorite US mainland Jaguar dealer selling parts at a discount.

In your original post you asked what other hoses should be replaced. I would say "all". I did that on my 2007 4.2 over the last year (82K miles on odometer currently), and no longer smell coolant in the engine compartment. I also replaced the coolant reservoir and the plastic coolant outlet assembly that holds the thermostat and coolant temp sensor. It's not easy - you have to remove the intake manifold for access to the hose that connects to the engine "valley", as one example.

None of the hoses were obviously leaking or bad, this is a peace of mind issue - not waiting for a leak to happen before taking action. The plastic coolant outlet assembly definitely needed to be replaced as the interior was discolored and the plastic around the thermostat was starting to break. (Of course your 5.0 engine does not have a plastic coolant outlet.)

What is the condition of the engine coolant pump bearing - any fluid leaking from the weep hole?

Last edited by Patrick Wong; 07-06-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Ditto. Plastic cooling system parts age at a pretty consistent rate and I assume yours has spent it's life in a warmer climate that exacerbates the problem. Ten years or 100k due to heat cycles is about the same. The real question is do you want to replace them pell-mell or all at once? I chose to only replace those that are bad as they go bad. On my sons '05 Lincoln LS that turned into a three year saga of replacing anything plastic in the cooling system as it all failed. There is also a huge problem when using the wrong coolant (which I'm sure I did on the LS) which is not compatible with the plastic bits. The end diagnosis from a thread a while back is Ford / Jaguar used several different plastic compositions and none are compatible with one type of coolant. The pink Jaguar stuff is compatible with most and the green Wal-Mart / auto parts place stuff is compatible with very little. The orange GM stuff is horrible...

Google coolant types versus plastic cooling parts for an insightful read. You'll need to find the three letter code for the type plastic you have and see what's compatible. It's a design flaw and an engineers train wreck.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:46 AM

Ive beem searching coolant for a while,
and still dont know what coolant to out in
Oat, hoat, eg pg, dexacool?

Old 07-06-2018, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Wong
With the original hose, what is the condition of the plastic adapter? If you cannot timely obtain the correct hose, and the plastic is OK, it seems that it would be better to buy two hoses that have the correct inner diameters, and reuse the plastic.

Of course the best bet would be to obtain the correct hose from parts.com or your favorite US mainland Jaguar dealer selling parts at a discount.

In your original post you asked what other hoses should be replaced. I would say "all". I did that on my 2007 4.2 over the last year (82K miles on odometer currently), and no longer smell coolant in the engine compartment. I also replaced the coolant reservoir and the plastic coolant outlet assembly that holds the thermostat and coolant temp sensor. It's not easy - you have to remove the intake manifold for access to the hose that connects to the engine "valley", as one example.

None of the hoses were obviously leaking or bad, this is a peace of mind issue - not waiting for a leak to happen before taking action. The plastic coolant outlet assembly definitely needed to be replaced as the interior was discolored and the plastic around the thermostat was starting to break. (Of course your 5.0 engine does not have a plastic coolant outlet.)

What is the condition of the engine coolant pump bearing - any fluid leaking from the weep hole?
It is leaking from the plastic not the hose,

the waterpump weap hole area is dry.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I think you'll find Dexcool fits JLR specs.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Not knowing the 2 different sizes of the plastic part I would measure them and consider making up a piece of copper pipe with hose fittings on each end . Seems like a fairly straight forward fix.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Not knowing the 2 different sizes of the plastic part I would measure them and consider making up a piece of copper pipe with hose fittings on each end . Seems like a fairly straight forward fix.
I had a T fitting on the Lincoln that I turned and welded up as it was cheaper than $179 for the hose and fitting. Plastic looked like gray wool on the inside from using the wrong coolant.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:33 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Where the plastic meets a hose, resist the use of a worm-drive hose clamp as the plastic must be able to expand and contract. Use the constant-tension hose clamps supplied with the OEM hose.

The plastic cooling system parts can only withstand a finite number of cold/hot cycles before failing. Given the age of many of the early production vehicles, the plastic parts should be replaced when the coolant is replaced.

DEXCOOL meets Jaguar specification for OAT coolant.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (07-09-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
eeeeehhhhhhhh..... maybe Aluminum instead? No sense adding ANOTHER alloy to the mix.
But, this is probably what I'd do. No sense in spending MORE for an inferior OEM part that will undoubtedly just go bad again.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Where the plastic meets a hose, resist the use of a worm-drive hose clamp as the plastic must be able to expand and contract. Use the constant-tension hose clamps supplied with the OEM hose.

The plastic cooling system parts can only withstand a finite number of cold/hot cycles before failing. Given the age of many of the early production vehicles, the plastic parts should be replaced when the coolant is replaced.

DEXCOOL meets Jaguar specification for OAT coolant.

can DEXCOOL be mixed with the factory coolant?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Yes, and it is easiest to use the pre-mixed blend.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:41 AM

Does dexcool eat at the plastic and silicone parts in jags? I cant find a definitive answer.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Any coolant conforming to specification WSS M97B44-D may be used.