XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A diagnostic tool for an XKR

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A diagnostic tool for an XKR

I have a 2011 XKR that has 5 months left on warranty. It has no gauges and an electronic dip stick. It is running very well and I just had it inspected and diagnostics checked by the dealer -- no problems. However, I would like to be able to check the daignostics myself and, if possible, monitor engine operation while running, (e.g., temperature, oii presure, voltage, tire pressures, etc.). I have checked into Actron devices and they claim they work for my car. Does anyone in the forum have any experience with these devices whether Actron or not and have suggestions on what device I can get that will serve my needs. Thanks

Old 07-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

You don't need to acquire the Actron. If you have an Android device, you can buy an OBD device on Amazon or Ebay. And then you can buy the reader app from the Google play app store and use it to get what you need for less than $100. The only thing you will not be able to get with this combination is the oil pressure and temp. The engine has no built-in output regarding these measurements.

I myself have the Torque pro app and a device that plugs into receptacle under the left side of the dash. It feeds the information to the app via blue-tooth. It will also give you most of the error codes when you ask for them. I have mine set up for engine temp, rpm, throttle and amperage output.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Ralphwg's suggestion is spot on if you want some live data and ODBII codes stored in the ECU. These are universal engine fault codes used on all cars after 2000?)

Jaguar also has several other systems that aren't read by the Torque pro app.

If you want to read all fault codes, including model specific, and clear some fault codes, a cheap tool is Icarsoft i930. It gets decent reviews on the X350 forum.

It will allow you to read all fault codes, but for live data, Torque pro is probably the most effective and commonly used live data tool by the members of this forum.

The following users liked this post:
AllblueACR (10-09-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

Yes on the Torque Pro. My BlueTooth OBD2 module cost me $6 and came with the PRO version of Torque as well as the Dash Commander Apps free of charge. LOTS of information in there.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the input

Thanks to you all that provided great information in a very short time -- you have saved me a lot of money -- I will get an OBD reader and app as suggested

Old 10-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 2013 ??

Originally Posted by ledxkr
Thanks to you all that provided great information in a very short time -- you have saved me a lot of money -- I will get an OBD reader and app as suggested
is the feedback in this thread ( tool recommended) applicable for my 2013 XKRS?

Old 10-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AllblueACR
is the feedback in this thread ( tool recommended) applicable for my 2013 XKRS?
It should be. It OBD II Engine fault codes. No Jaguar specific codes (chassis, body, electronics, etc). You would need a full blown diagnostic tool for that.

AllblueACR (10-13-2016)

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2016, 03:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
...... I myself have the Torque pro app and a device that plugs into receptacle under the left side of the dash. It feeds the information to the app via blue-tooth. ......
If you use this solution (as I do), remember the OBD port has a permanent live feed.

The Torque Android Bluetooth Adapter is therefore powered and, if left in the port, will discharge the battery unless the vehicle is on a tender.

It takes around two weeks in an airport carpark for the battery to become sufficiently discharged to prevent starting.

Don't ask!

Graham

Old 10-10-2016, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Ouch!
The one I have, detects the ignition off, and powers itself down after a short period.
I leave it plugged in in my Lexus, never had a problem. It doesn't power on automatically, so if I want to use it, I need to push a button on it to power it back on.
The OBD port is occupied in my XK by my HKS Camp2, which stays permanently plugged in, unless I need to read codes, in which case, it gets unplugged and the code reader gets moved from the other car to the XK.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
It should be. It OBD II Engine fault codes. No Jaguar specific codes (chassis, body, electronics, etc). You would need a full blown diagnostic tool for that.
What would you recommend to include the jaguar specific codes ?

Old 10-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

Originally Posted by AllblueACR
What would you recommend to include the jaguar specific codes ?
Try AutoEnginuity, they have a base scanner and then add-on modules.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Try AutoEnginuity, they have a base scanner and then add-on modules.
I sent you a PM. You'll want to call AE beforehand. They show coverage of XKR from 07 - 11. I don't know enough about the 2013 model or the XRS to help you with the differences. I imagine it will cover what's listed on their website, but wise to check as it is pricey software/hdwe. Certainly less than OEM.

Here is their most current list of coverage:
https://www.autoenginuity.com/produc...guar-ei11.html

Last edited by Sean W; 10-10-2016 at 05:37 PM.
AllblueACR (10-13-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:43 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
If you use this solution (as I do), remember the OBD port has a permanent live feed.

The Torque Android Bluetooth Adapter is therefore powered and, if left in the port, will discharge the battery unless the vehicle is on a tender.

It takes around two weeks in an airport carpark for the battery to become sufficiently discharged to prevent starting.

Don't ask!

Graham
This sounds like something I'd do, err, I mean discover.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts

Just to add to the discussion :

bd-diagnostics on eBay

These guys sell a 3rd party dongle and the OEM diagnostic software that runs in a virtual machine on any Wndows Laptop. I have a copy and can confirm that it is fully functional. It will read all of the non-standard codes as well as give access to dealer prep functions, like enabling/disabling daytime running lights etc.

The downside is that the JLR SDD software is a jumbled mess and you need to be extremely careful using it. Some of the procedures require that the car be hooked up to an external (13.5v 21 amp) power source when performing certain procedures like software updates.

For doing diagnostics at home it is probably the best option... just stay away from the software updates and re-calibration procedures unless you know exactly how to do it and have the right equipment.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeanU
Just to add to the discussion :

bd-diagnostics on eBay

These guys sell a 3rd party dongle and the OEM diagnostic software that runs in a virtual machine on any Wndows Laptop. I have a copy and can confirm that it is fully functional. It will read all of the non-standard codes as well as give access to dealer prep functions, like enabling/disabling daytime running lights etc.

The downside is that the JLR SDD software is a jumbled mess and you need to be extremely careful using it. Some of the procedures require that the car be hooked up to an external (13.5v 21 amp) power source when performing certain procedures like software updates.

For doing diagnostics at home it is probably the best option... just stay away from the software updates and re-calibration procedures unless you know exactly how to do it and have the right equipment.
A lot of guys go with this solution on the X350 forum and their feedback is that the software is a disaster (my assumption after reading so many threads attempting to just get it up and running)

Old 10-14-2016, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

AE is expensive but OK. IDS/SDD is great but painful to use and requires a LOT of time and effort. For casual use I love an elm327. Get one anyway and leave it in the boot (trunk).

I've not tried an iCarsoft 930 but reports from owners are a bit patchy. It's not cheap.

I'd start with just an elm327 or the like device (with live data) and see whether after a month or two you want more.

AllblueACR (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 05:50 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
A lot of guys go with this solution on the X350 forum and their feedback is that the software is a disaster (my assumption after reading so many threads attempting to just get it up and running)
Not to mention all the threads of "I tried to program my car and now it's a giant paperweight"...

Stay away from those British Diagnostics kits... cheap $20 clone interfaces, hacked software running in a virtual machine, it's a real recipe for disaster.

They are (mostly) fine if you want to read or clear codes, but programming is a literal coin toss of scraping through by luck or a very expensive problem to fix.

I don't understand how people can spend tens (or hundreds!) of thousands of dollars on a car and then try to fix it with a $80 knockoff... I learnt that lesson the hard way...

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
AllblueACR (10-14-2016), motorcarman (10-14-2016), Sean W (10-14-2016)