XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How to sell a XKR

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
Default How to sell a XKR

Taken from an advert for a X150 XKR...

" LIVE THE EXPERIENCE: “Why do the British drink warm beer?” They’ll tell you that’s the proper way to enjoy a pint of Ale, although the age-old car guy joke has always been that Lucas Electrical (aka, the Prince of Darkness) makes their fridges, too. As with all matters of taste, we’ll leave that to personal experience. Of course, newer British cars have long abandoned Lucas electrical systems for more reliable German Bosch parts, but the stories remain: “get home before dark, ” as Lucas was the inventor of the “self dimming headlamp, ” and “the patent holder for the short circuit.” The 2011 Jaguar XKR equipped with a modern Bosch electrical system, however, leaves nothing to be desired. Wrapped in a timeless all aluminum wrapper, this car exudes confidence and sex appeal. Think of it as the automotive variant of Idris Elba: muscular, brooding and reliably unbothered. Stomp on the go-go pedal and be prepared to hold on: with 510HP bursting to life out of its 5.0L V8 supercharged engine, this car is not for the meek. 0-100 km/hr comes up in an alarmingly quick 4.6 seconds, despite some electronically limited slip from its bespoke 20” wheels out of the gate. Go into a corner hard, and the car rewards with surefooted grip and a communicative, lively steering feel. But this car isn’t all about driving fast and furiously around corners and mountain passes. Rather, it’s GT-car proportions, leather interior and high fidelity sound system make it an equally enjoyable cocoon from urban chaos, as it is enjoyable on a long stretch of sun filled highway with the windows down, and Meridian Sound system blaring CCR’s “Fortunate Son.” Like Mr. Elba, this car’s magic lies in its mysterious good looks and quiet character. Just be prepared for the occasional plot twist. "

Old 12-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
Think of it as the automotive variant of Idris Elba: muscular, brooding and reliably unbothered. Like Mr. Elba, this car’s magic lies in its mysterious good looks and quiet character. Just be prepared for the occasional plot twist. "
Wouldn't this analogy only apply to black cars??

I think I can say this as I am one, but weirdly rarely see a man of colour driving a F-Type or X150, they seem to prefer BMW's this side of the pond

Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

'Reliable German Bosch parts'

More misperceptions and misinformation. I always find it amusing that owners of BMWs and other German marques often don't admit to the electrical issues they've had to deal with.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

That’s a mouthful, and the guy has a boner for Idris😄. These cars are like recreational drugs, they sell themselves

Old 12-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewtech
........................😄. These cars are like recreational drugs, they sell themselves
Uh, clearly you've never tried to SELL one of these.....

The following users liked this post:
RobB (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Uh, clearly you've never tried to SELL one of these.....
ya got me. They are a tough sell. Porsches are the cocaine of cars

Old 12-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
'Reliable German Bosch parts'

More misperceptions and misinformation. I always find it amusing that owners of BMWs and other German marques often don't admit to the electrical issues they've had to deal with.
I am convinced its a new form of German propaganda. They have used the Auto industry as an economic weapon. Especially when one takes into account the overwhelming evidence of them never stopping.
  • Astonishingly convinced hippies around the world to adopt the **** dream car the VW...without even changing its name.
  • VW First company caught cheating the EPA- and had to leave USA
  • 50 years later caught again for even larger web of deceit.
  • Audi had to leave USA due to bad name
  • They return to USA by bulking up and decimate the market. And caught in even bigger financial fraud.
Meanwhile- Jaguar nor Land Rover have never had to leave USA, and somehow has a reputation worse than the Audi/VW/Porsche group.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 12-09-2018 at 12:43 PM.
NBCat (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
Taken from an advert for a X150 XKR...

" LIVE THE EXPERIENCE: ... The 2011 Jaguar XKR ... is enjoyable on a long stretch of sun filled highway with the windows down, and Meridian Sound system blaring CCR’s “Fortunate Son.” ...
I'm pretty sure that no X150 ever came from the factory with the Meridian sound system. The only sound systems were Alpine and Bowers and Wilkins.

I'm also pretty sure that Jaguar first introduced the Meridian Surround Sound System in the 2013 XJ models as standard equipment.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Yep you're correct regarding the sound system, and Meridian also went into the F-Type on launch in 2013, but (IIRC) only as an option, shame it never touched the XK as by most reports I've read, it's far superior to the B&W

Old 12-10-2018, 08:01 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Jaguar arrived with a roar. The most gorgeous thing with four wheels and many design and performance accolades followed. People had to find something wrong with what looked so perfect. Time would prove there was a flaw--lucas electrical systems. Fortunately, the electrical problems have largely disappeared with the replacement of the flawed lucas electrical systems. Unfortunately, the stigma continues like a curse.

I met with an electronics engineer last year. We briefly had a conversation about cars. I said, the car that put the largest smile on my face was a Jaguar. He immediately said, "they have a lot of electrical issues". I quickly corrected him.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

This will help you return to those nostalgic days of yesteryear, when you had to be a good sport to put up with owning a British sports car. Duckbill? Water pump? Today's woes are a drop in the bucket.

SinF (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

oddly enough I have CCR's Fortunate Son blaring from my meridian system from time to time.

I'm a little embarrassed to say I jumped on it after watching "Battleship", a very guilty pleasure.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:02 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Personally, I find the Lucas jokes quite boring since most of the time the people complaining didn't know how to fix a corroded earth point. But, misperceptions fed by misinformation continue the myth. Just like the people that think the AJ-V8 is a Ford-designed engine and the S-Type (X200) is a Ford Taurus in disguise.

Using that logic, are Porsches just Volkswagens in disguise?

sov211 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

I realize that most who joke about Lucas have never really known or owned Lucas.
I wonder if people even know that Lucas is now ZF.
Mystery why the Germans would want to buy an inferior British brand. It would be like Ferrari buying LADA.

MarkyUK (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I realize that most who joke about Lucas have never really known or owned Lucas.
I wonder if people even know that Lucas is now ZF.
Mystery why the Germans would want to buy an inferior British brand. It would be like Ferrari buying LADA.
It’s no mystery. What they didn’t do with their bombs, they’ve done with their money. The majority of the British auto industry is now owned by German companies. So its not the quality build they were after. Its to disable the competition, not that Lucas was that desireable. I’ve owned several Lucas cars and they were great cars. Some things, were odd, but nothing out of the ordinary. The earth points and wiring quality were problematic for some cars though, and with constant mechanic visits, most people who cant wrench will complain. The jokes were simply a Gallows type of humor that grew into spewed nonsense. Either way, None of it ever stopped me from buying a car I liked.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brewtech:
MarkyUK (12-11-2018), Queen and Country (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brewtech
So its not the quality build they were after. Its to disable the competition.
Absolutely true and par for the course.
There is something else..you might think even more significant, let me lay the case out.

Britain does not brag, to its determent! And it considers national exclusivity a vulgar thing. So if UK had a prominent watch industry like the Swiss- no one would know about it! Its true now of the brilliant auto industry that exists, no one knows that 8/10 F1 teams do their R&D in UK and not Deutschland.
In reality, Britain's reputation for innovation should walk way ahead of the German workers ability to assemble (which frankly has been bested by the Japanese).
  • Range Rover- a unique formula for luxury suv, innovated in UK
  • Lotus- a unique formula for handling above all, innovated in UK
  • Rolls- a unique formula for quality ...................................UK
  • Mini- a formula for a city car ..........................................UK
  • Jaguar- a unique formula for grace-space-pace, now ubiquitous in many cars, but invented in the UK.
(I left out Aston, Bentley and McLaren as they do not have unique formulas )
Germany has tried and failed at a city car formula- MB did the smart car, BMW did the 1 series, and you see more Minis on the road.
Audi, BMW and Mercedes failed at statement Luxury cars, remember the Phaeton and Maybach.
And despite their best efforts at SUVs, Range Rover still embarrasses them
funniest clip ever
So I put it you, what they are actually buying is one of a kind British Innovation.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
ralphwg (12-16-2018), sov211 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

But what would happen if BMW were to design a full-size SUV, with a formula already laid out by Range Rover.....
Well you would have one of the ugliest things to ever hit the road; behold:https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/x-mo...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 12-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

As to the OP I think it is very easy to sell an XKR. First the seller must swallow his pride and then mark the price down to the present market value and it will sell. Jaguar XK's are a buyers market .

SinF (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Not only XKs, but XJs, too. And I'm not the only one on this Forum who bought both as used car bargains. My sellers didn't swallow any pride, as they were both corporate lease turn-ins. And I got the full service histories.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

It is easy to sell any car when it is priced correctly. The issue with selling XKs is that many sellers mistakenly believe these cars are worth more than market will bear.