XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trickle Charging

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 08:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trickle Charging

Left my car for a month. Wife did not use car? Usually I leave on a jaguar supplied trickle charger working via boot connected via lighter type socket. It’s a 2013 XK convertible.
Works so well as proven that after a month of no use, car would not start. So lesson learned, use trickle or get wife to actually use the car.
And also carry very large jump cables, specifically for large engines , mine are for 4.5L plus engine. Smaller ones won’t work.
(The car manual is hopelessly vague on location of the battery terminals: positive is easy to find but negative— could Not find. Tip from YouTube was, use the exhaust pipe as negative)

Last edited by Ruairidh; 12-24-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Any hefty (solid) metal some distance away from battery.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

If your XK has a spare wheel, you'll see the negative stud on the luggage compartment floor to the right of it - should be covered with a black cap.

If you don't have a spare but have the tyre repair kit instead, then you'll have to remove the carpet trim item 6 to find the negative stud:

Trickle Charging-luggage-compartment.jpg

Graham

Old 12-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruairidh
Left my car for a month. Wife did not use car? Usually I leave on a jaguar supplied trickle charger working via boot connected via lighter type socket. It’s a 2013 XK convertible.
Works so well as proven that after a month of no use, car would not start. So lesson learned, use trickle or get wife to actually use the car.
And also carry very large jump cables, specifically for large engines , mine are for 4.5L plus engine. Smaller ones won’t work.
(The car manual is hopelessly vague on location of the battery terminals: positive is easy to find but negative— could Not find. Tip from YouTube was, use the exhaust pipe as negative)
Search this Forum for threads about battery maintainers - there are many, including detailed installation instructions with photos. Click SEARCH, then Advanced Search, type in CTEK installation, search in the X150 Forum. I'll make it easy for you : https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-107738/

You stated that you have a Jaguar supplied trickle charger. Most likely it's not a trickle charger, but a smart battery maintainer made by CTEK - a model 3300 co-branded with a Jaguar Leaper logo. If it's a trickle charger, throw it away and buy a CTEK.

Since your X150 is 5.0L model with a special circuit, you can attach the positive lead of the battery maintainer directly to the positive battery terminal, but the negative lead of your battery maintainer must be attached to a chassis ground and not directly to the negative battery terminal. Most likely that's how the cigarette lighter socket was connected to your battery, which is located behind a removable panel in the boot. If you plug your maintainer directly into your cigarette lighter in the car, it won't work because that cigarette lighter circuit is switched and is open (off) when the car is off, so electricity won't flow to the battery.

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-24-2017 at 06:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
GGG (12-24-2017), Ruairidh (12-28-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 04:50 PM
Default I do use Ctek charger from Jaguar not a trickle charger.

Thanks for the feedback. I wish the manual was better as I could not fix without going home and YouTube input.

Might now have a problem with a circuit or two as the heating is definitely not working, air sensor says it’s -40c. And an odd service indicator. Might disappear once I left battery to properly recharge overnight.
Kept saying apply brake and parking brake.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:15 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

A flat battery has a similar effect to a battery disconnect/reconnect - all the adapative settings are lost.

You should follow the same procedure as a reconnection (see red box):

As the vehicle is maintained on a CTEK, I think the battery could be failing.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Trickle Charging-battery.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Ruairidh (12-28-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I wish the manual was better as I could not fix without going home and YouTube input.

Might now have a problem with a circuit or two as the heating is definitely not working, air sensor says it’s -40c. And an odd service indicator. Might disappear once I left battery to properly recharge overnight.
Kept saying apply brake and parking brake.
That last part is a classic sign of low voltage.

That in turn can throw false codes.

So, start with getting good power.

Ruairidh (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 06:08 AM

Thanks all.
I followed GGG Graham advice for a system restart. The heating is still not working at all. No ac, front screen and rear not working, fans not working and no actual heat. Lights come on and touch screen shows controls but no action. The window mechanisms work fine.

Power is full, as per cteck, the external temperature still shows -40C. It’s actually +2C..

So it looks like I’ll have to get dealer to check.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks all.
I followed GGG Graham advice for a system restart. The heating is still not working at all. No ac, front screen and rear not working, fans not working and no actual heat. Lights come on and touch screen shows controls but no action. The window mechanisms work fine.

Power is full, as per cteck, the external temperature still shows -40C. It’s actually +2C..

So it looks like I’ll have to get dealer to check.
What is the voltage at the battery . Ctek is a battery maintainer and not a full charger. Check the voltage with a meter.

Queen and Country (12-28-2017)