XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warranty is done....Time to tune!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Warranty is done....Time to tune!!!

Hi Forum....I hope everyone is well. I haven't logged in in some time....went back to school for another degree...Talk about mid life crisis...what the hell was I thinking??? I'm still enjoying my XKR, haven't had any issues...Thank God, since the engine was replaced. Anyway my warranty expires in June, so I'm going to go ahead and do the pulley/tune thingy. As if the car really needs more power...she's definitely a beast, but we all know that. When I last logged in, there was a debate on who provided the best tune. I think Jags in CA did them, but would only allow 3 re-flashes if the downgraded you to the default tune. And there was a company in Houston, TX if I recall correctly that would allow unlimited re-flashes, but then one of our members had issues with them not returning calls, etc. So I think the forum decided against recommending them. So, who would you guys recommend I go to at this time? I'd like to get it done pretty soon, like this week or next week....I'm just anxious to see how the extra power feels. Looking forward to your responses forum.....Now that I posted something, I realize how much I miss chatting with you guys....all of you have always been awesome!!!!

Old 03-01-2016, 11:58 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Try contact with @MoscowLeaper think he could helps you with some mods.

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 03:45 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Before you tune. 1st thing to do is change the center section of the exhaust.

The XKR-S center section differs to the XKR as it has straight through pipes and an x-pipe.

There is a modified exhaust here on the forum which replicates this design, and it's pretty cheap! https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...ection-153606/

The XKR-S exhaust is one of the major contributors to the increased power over the XKR. This is really a must before you start working on the engine tune.

bklynchris (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 04:46 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo

The XKR-S center section differs to the XKR as it has straight through pipes and an x-pipe.

There is a modified exhaust here on the forum which replicates this design, and it's pretty cheap! https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...ection-153606/

The XKR-S exhaust is one of the major contributors to the increased power over the XKR. This is really a must before you start working on the engine tune.
You're wright, but as for me the first step is gearbox remapping to RS tune and only after this step the exhaust, supercharger's modification (inner rooms, bearings, pulley), some minor change in cooling and engine remapping.

Hope you agreed with me about gearbox remapping

bklynchris (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

bklynchris,
I recently had pulley/tune done on my 5.0L XKR. I purchased the Eurochraged tune. While I'm not sure I feel a huge difference in the "seat of my pants," it certainly hasn't hurt. I also had an engine replacement and because of that the first couple of times the new tune would not load. But, I had daily contact with the technicians at Eurocharged and eventually with corrected V.I.N. we were able to load the tune successfully. I never had a problem with communication.

I know forum member Ralphwg has used Jags here in Los Angeles and recommends him as well.

Next stop is an X pipe.

Good luck with your decision and let us all know what you decide.
Ted

Old 03-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, cool. I already removed part of the exhaust...it has 2 pairs of CATS, and i removed one of them. I'll check and see if these pipes are available and if they are, then I'll order them

Old 03-02-2016, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 08292
You're wright, but as for me the first step is gearbox remapping to RS tune and only after this step the exhaust, supercharger's modification (inner rooms, bearings, pulley), some minor change in cooling and engine remapping.

Hope you agreed with me about gearbox remapping

I'm lost here. Is there a different tune that remaps the gearbox? I thought that was done with the ECU tune. If not, would you mind pointing me in the right direction as to who/where I can get that piece done? This is new territory for me so please forgive my ignorance. Thanks

Old 03-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
bklynchris,
I recently had pulley/tune done on my 5.0L XKR. I purchased the Eurochraged tune. While I'm not sure I feel a huge difference in the "seat of my pants," it certainly hasn't hurt. I also had an engine replacement and because of that the first couple of times the new tune would not load. But, I had daily contact with the technicians at Eurocharged and eventually with corrected V.I.N. we were able to load the tune successfully. I never had a problem with communication.

I know forum member Ralphwg has used Jags here in Los Angeles and recommends him as well.

Next stop is an X pipe.

Good luck with your decision and let us all know what you decide.
Ted

Hi Tberg, In your opinion, is the any real value going with one tune vs the other or are they pretty much the same? If so, then I'll probably go with Jags in LA as he's closer. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

To be honest from what I've seen in my extenaive research between wanting to tune 2 different xkr's is that everyone's tune. Even if done their own special way seems to offer the same gains. Between the smaller pulley and ecu tune. I'd say that anyone that's a bit higher in hp than the others is just embellishing a bit. I do see the value in the x pipe mod though because if you look up either eurocharged or eurotoys for your tune a d pulley package. They're offering just shy of 600hp to the crank in gains but when they post videos of their own respective xkr-s tunes they're getting numbers that read 620 hp. So I'm assuming being as how the only difference power wise between the xkr and xkr-s is an x pipe and a tune map to get from 510 to 550. There is some 15-20 or so in extra room for gains.

bklynchris (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 07:02 PM

I can honestly admit my eurocharged tune from Jerry brought my boost and torque on earlier in the rpm's and pushed me to 155 mph much faster than it did stock. I could also get into the 170's for speed pretty regularly. I'm sure you can't go wrong with anyone's tune. I happen to like eurocharged because they're customer service was over the top when I had issues with tuning software. I'll be applying an x pipe myself this time around. My only question would be can they get that 620ish number from a flash if they don't have the car in front of them to tune in person. Giving the ability to give the map more tlc and accuracy. If not the xpipe might only be good for some added sound and a few hp.

bklynchris (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

thx Salacat83, I'm researching both eurochaged and eurotoys...I think Jags is with ETG...I was planning on driving my car to someones shop and getting it done. Did you purchase the x-pipe from bighenderson? If not and bighenderson still has those available, i'll get them and put them on first, then get the tune. It won't have my XKR sounding like a mustang, will it? After all, it is the Gentleman's sports car.....LOL

Old 03-02-2016, 07:17 PM

I had sent him a private message. I'm not sure when he'll return it. I know that x pipes are easy to get for not too much more money at all. As for sounding like a mustang? Just spend a few minutes listening to an xkr start up rev and launch compared to and xkr's doing the same thing. In my opinion the xkr-s is a more aggressive version of the xkr. A bit more braap if you catch my lingo.

bklynchris (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

cool SalsaCat83...going to find a video now...I was looking at eurotoys and although it looks like the use a 2.5 pulley, I think I would prefer going with eurocharged being it a brick and motar building....just me, but if something goes wrong I prefer deal with a shop that has a physical address

Old 03-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
cool SalsaCat83...going to find a video now...I was looking at eurotoys and although it looks like the use a 2.5 pulley, I think I would prefer going with eurocharged being it a brick and motar building....just me, but if something goes wrong I prefer deal with a shop that has a physical address
You can follow us on Facebook for a look into what we work on. Our location is in the Chicago area, so that might not help too much.

Mike

bklynchris (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

BklynChris - I found Jags to be most accommodating when ETG tuned my 2012 xk. I just got a new 2013 XKR and intend to look into tuning it sometime this summer after I get a few thousand miles on it. I will go to Jags again. It came with the performance active exhaust, so I'm not sure if I will do anything with the exhaust system. I can't say enough good things about Jags and ETG.

bklynchris (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
BklynChris - I found Jags to be most accommodating when ETG tuned my 2012 xk. I just got a new 2013 XKR and intend to look into tuning it sometime this summer after I get a few thousand miles on it. I will go to Jags again. It came with the performance active exhaust, so I'm not sure if I will do anything with the exhaust system. I can't say enough good things about Jags and ETG.

Hi ralphwg,

I already called him and left a VM...i would like to get this done next week if possible...I'm anxious to see how much"more" this baby has......and as you know, she has plenty already...LOL

Old 03-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quick question guys, with the exhaust, installing a X-pipe, etc. What exactly do I need to have done? Am i doing straight pipes from the motor all the way to the rear muffler? What about the cats? Or am I doing like a catback thing with the straight pipes? I know these may be dumb questions, but i really would like to be clear when I tell my muffler shop what I want them to do. I was looking at maybe just doing an exhaust system as well, but not sure if I can pull that off without alerting the misses to what I'm doing. Especially now that's she's hinting at a new car. lol

Old 03-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...9/#post1228475 there are pictures of the XKR-S exhaust center pipes with the x-pipe in it.

This is what you want to replicate, and will give a genuine performance improvement.

No real need to change the rear muffler, with the valves open it's more or less a straight-through system anyhow.

bklynchris (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member

Have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...9/#post1228475 there are pictures of the XKR-S exhaust center pipes with the x-pipe in it.

This is what you want to replicate, and will give a genuine performance improvement.

No real need to change the rear muffler, with the valves open it's more or less a straight-through system anyhow.
Cambo, thank you very much for this...this is exactly what I needed!!! I can take the pics to my guy and get this done...Thanks again buddy!!!!

Old 03-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

My warranty is done also. Looking to do the same thing bklynchris is. Can anyone recommend a tuner in the NYC metro area?

Thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: Warranty is done....Time to tune!!!