XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 XK8 running lights wont turn off

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1998 XK8 running lights wont turn off

Hi All, Not new member but first post. I have a 98 Convertible XK8 where I just put in a new stereo. Works great, Alpine radio and used the harness from Incartek.co.uk. After the install (where I had to put the key in and out to keep moving the gear shifter out of the way) I now see the following behavior. Car starts fine, All light controls work fine from the column. Upon turning off the car and removing the key it "dings" 10X and turns on the running lights. Front/Rear and side markers. They are off when the key is in the ignition and car started. These will eventually start to flash as the current drains the the battery down. Read here about the sticky key flap door and lubricated that with lock lube. No help. Checked voltage of original battery at 12.6 but it did seem to drain fast under the load from the lights so, Not trusting it I bought a new one and hooked it up today. No help.
Last gasp here before contacting dealer $$$$$$$, so any help is appreciated.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Just curious - does the factory wiring harness not connect to new Alpine radio?

What happens if you take the new radio out, and put it back the way it was - do you still get the same fault. May have something to do with the harness you fitted??

Old 01-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
What happens if you take the new radio out, and put it back the way it was - do you still get the same fault. May have something to do with the harness you fitted??
+1

If it was working fine before the upgrade, then retrace your steps.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:58 PM
Default Update running lights stay on

HI All, Right after I posted I went out and took apart the dash again (getting really good at it) and disconnected the radio. Lights went out. Now i know its a radio connection problem. I have a harness purchased from Incartek.co.uk for the Jaguar XK8 that goes to ISO connectors, then I got an ISO connector to the Alpine connector. I wired the ISO to Alpine and it all looks fine per color codes and pin outs, but the Jaguar 20 pin to ISO is from Incartek. I sent them an email tonight. Its just really weird that is just affects the running lights and dash illumination. It did connect to the steering controls through a module which I disconnected with no effect, so its in the basic wiring connectors..... Will give an update once (and if) i hear back from them.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Hard Reset as something got out of electrical sequence and needs to be reset to zero state . Easy and you can DIY

The ignition switch ( LNC6507AA ) has 3 rotary switches and one key in / key out linear switch , it is this last switch that triggers the Security module to go into the shutdown sequence to go to sleep . Pin 4 to 5 . The wire colors are different as this print is for the X300 as they are the same part # and circuit . It mounts on the end of the key barrel and can be replaced DIY . You just need to remove the column lower plastic trim . One pin and socket was corroded on M'Lady P .

Attached Thumbnails 1998 XK8 running lights wont turn off-x300-drain-31-untitled.png   1998 XK8 running lights wont turn off-jaguar-key-switch-s-l400.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 01-18-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:34 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by jon_welsh
Hi All, Not new member but first post..... .
Welcome to the forum Jon,

Looks like you've traced the cause of the issue. When something goes wrong immediately after any install or modification, the first step in troubleshooting is always to go back over all the steps.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
avern1 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

+1 Graham if it worked before and doesn't now what did I change.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Knocked it out of sequence with the key in / key out or other like the shifting

Old 01-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Default Update running lights stay on

Hi All,
Sorry forgot to mention that this behavior did not happen upon the initial installation of the new stereo. I hooked it all up once and it worked fine without the lights coming on. I then (regretfully now) took the new stereo back out to adjust the install depth, so I just unplugged everything, then re-plugged all the cables and stuffed them back into dash and reinstalled the head unit. So that led me to believe it was something else causing the problem. Vendor suggested to better separate the power and illumination wires as these were wrapped together in a bundle as there might be some cross voltage going on. Will do that this weekend.

Lady Penelope (01-19-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 09:20 AM

Final update. Traced the behavior to the illumination wire. Each time the Orange wire was connected to the new head unit, without the key in ignition, the dash lights and running lights of the car turned on. Having owned a Triumph in the past I am well aware of British automotive wiring (see Lucas aka Prince of Darkness). The XK8 wiring diagram shows 2 connection in the harness, one labeled dimmer controlled lighting, the other dimmer override. The orange wire was using the dimmer controlled lighting, not sure what dimmer override does. I measured the voltage on the car illumination wire and it was a 1.0V without the key in the ignition. I emailed the harness provider but they were not much help, so I just left the illumination wire disconnected. Thought you would like to see the final result. I am very happy with the look of the new unit. New DIN Alpine Head Unit

Truck Graphics (02-25-2018)