XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 XK8 Transmission Fault/Other

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy 99 XK8 Transmission Fault/Other

Hello, I have a 1999 Jaguar XK8 with 97k miles. I am not the original owner and just last week experienced a problem. I have been able to research the forum for other issues but am having trouble with this.

Story: Jag was driving fine, then one day at a stop light, hitting the acceleration the transmission fault came on and the Jag was in "limp mode". After disconnecting/reconnecting battery the dash was clear, set it into drive, the engine will rev then a violent shift and the car moves slowly. Reverse does work fine. If putting into 1/2 (manual?) it will accelerate (Slowly) on the last gear. The check engine light also appeared. OBII sends me a P1722 message.

Things I have tried: Turned off the car/back on - Same issue.
Disconnected the battery waited 15 minutes and connected it again.
Checked level - Seems fine (drips when unscrewed). The oil itself does not seem burned but still fine. Dropped the pan and the magnets had very little metal shavings (almost none).

I read if there are a lot/pieces of metal shaving then it can be the A/B drum. Tranny shop wants $2500+ for the repair of it. I hope it is not the tranny and if it is, I do plan to do it myself. I have the time and won't mind learning.

I want to do all things possible before having to drop and look at the tranny.

Things I have not checked listed on the forum.
Transmission Selector cable adjustment / installation incorrect (Shifter)
Output speed sensor problem

I have looked at some manual (maybe not all) but could not locate how to adjust the selector cable and where the Output speed sensor is. Any direction/help would be great. I am not alone doing this but the Jag is a new car never dealt with.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

It does sound like the A drum may have failed, but I have no direct experience of the failure. I would at least remove the pan and filter to look for evidence of severe damage. If you do that, run the engine in park until the transmission is hot, then loosen the fill plug and the pan fasteners slightly before draining. You do not want to drain the pan and then find out you can't fill it again. Use a good quality allen wrench with a piece of pipe as an extension to break the fill plug loose.

You may just be low on fluid, but it's probably more serious.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:56 AM

Today we manually shifted the gearbox from P all the way around to 2. Checked the Rotary Switch and Selector Cable which appear to be operational but I cannot find specifics on what to look for that make it render-less. Only thing I can think of, if it does not want to move when shifting gears or hesitates.

Going to drop the transmission on Saturday and start the process. Taking pictures along the way so I do not forget something. Going to check everything. This will be fun.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by RJ237
It does sound like the A drum may have failed, but I have no direct experience of the failure. I would at least remove the pan and filter to look for evidence of severe damage. If you do that, run the engine in park until the transmission is hot, then loosen the fill plug and the pan fasteners slightly before draining. You do not want to drain the pan and then find out you can't fill it again. Use a good quality allen wrench with a piece of pipe as an extension to break the fill plug loose.

You may just be low on fluid, but it's probably more serious.
I am sorry for not replying to your post. The level did seem fine. Trying other options now.
Going through old and new threads too but I am going to start dropping the tranny like my last post. Maybe I will find something before I drop it to test.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:15 AM

I never dropped the tranny as I did not have time so I did some little things. Checked the input and output sensors - They are reading fine. I checked the TCM pins to the output +/- and input +/- pins and I have a response.

One thing I did notice but I didn't think about it. I took the pan off (has been off for a couple days) but the not the filter. When I took the filter off there was a bunch of oil that started coming out. Seems the filter was in bad shape. Could this affected the TCM to get knocked off because of bad oil circulation/levels over time?

Thanks
-David

Old 05-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I would suggest taking the car into the shop and have them look at the trans. Chances are that you are experiencing the A/B drum failure. This was my experience with a P1722 code

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

As for the cable adjustment this is the TSB to show you how

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/307-01-1.pdf

Old 06-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Default Fixed

I know this is an old thread but felt bad about not ending it.

My dad and me were able to pull off the tranny and replace the B drum (I believe, been a bit of time). It is the one most people replace. It was a pain to get to it but we did it and cleaned it up at the same time .

So thanks for the help from the forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by BlueXK8:
preuss2 (06-05-2014), RJ237 (06-05-2014)
Old 05-13-2016, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fault

i have owned my 99 XK8 for 12 years. bought it from original owners with only 45k miles on it. to date i have never opened the engine but have replace all coolant hoses, thermostat, timing chain tensioners and two radiators. this car has 345,000 miles on it and i drive it every day. so, for those that think these cars don't last, think again. that meaning said, my trans went out today. same issues as noted in forum. car seems to want to start off in 3rd or 4th gear but still got me home on a 35 mile drive.