XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor Removal and Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
Default AC Compressor Removal and Installation

My compressor is shot and is now sounding like a couple spark plugs rolling down a hill in a coffee can so a new one is on order. Can't seem to pull it up on my JTIS but looking online someone said you need to disconnect the power steering lines. Is that true? If so what fluid can I use in there as I might as well change it while I'm at it. Anything else out of the ordinary after taking the belt off, the 4 bolts after some good soaking, the ac lines and then the electrical connection?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

It is correct that JTIS says to pull the power steering line. I will be doing this next week to my car and can tell you then.

The following users liked this post:
TreVoRTasmin (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
It is correct that JTIS says to pull the power steering line. I will be doing this next week to my car and can tell you then.
I may beat ya to the punch. Compressor is to arrive tomorrow and hopefully I can secure a hand sometime over the weekend. Unless you want to come practice on mine. I'm replacing the drier to as it was nice and cheap, have the expansion valve coming as well but the time involved on that one may be a deal breaker unless it is clogged. We'll see.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

You know that the expansion valve in inside the car and getting to it involves pulling the interior apart.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
You know that the expansion valve in inside the car and getting to it involves pulling the interior apart.
hence why I said I'll see if I do it or not. I think it is a 5 hour book time job.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

keep us posted! What part of Pa?

Old 10-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
keep us posted! What part of Pa?
Amishland. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Xssing fingers for you both, guys. Hope all will go well. I am looking forward to updates on your hands on experiences as this job is definitely in my planner as soon as I win the lottery . Smooth Wrenching!

Old 10-03-2014, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by dannyS
Xssing fingers for you both, guys. Hope all will go well. I am looking forward to updates on your hands on experiences as this job is definitely in my planner as soon as I win the lottery . Smooth Wrenching!
Lottery? A compressor is close to the cost of a couple tanks of gas, maybe less for you in Cali.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Well mine came out today. Took a good 4 hours to remove the top 2 bolts and the line connecting bolts then fish it out. I didn't take off the ps line as I couldn't figure out how to get a wrench on it. You'll want lots of wobbly 1/4" extensions to get to the top bolts from the wheel area. The lines were the toughest as was sliding it out but I do think that was in part from the lack of removing the ps line.

Norri (10-04-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 06:40 PM

Went back in a whole lot easier then it came out. Back end goes in first and you need to manhandle it to get it up there. Don't forget to put the bolts in the compressor before raising it up. Also it is a pita to do the electrical clips after it is it in. The hardest part is the compressor lines in the back. You need to hand tighten them and despite all my different tools and wrenches I couldn't come up with a method for tightening beyond a couple clicks each turn. Took me a good hour to get those two bolts on.

The following 2 users liked this post by TreVoRTasmin:
ErikE (05-20-2016), Gus (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Took mine out today and it was a little tricky but came out just fine. As for the two lines I got one with a socket with about 4 extensions and the other with a box end ratchet wrench. I need to get oil for the compressor and in it goes. I did identify that the bolts need to be inserted before installing the new compressor.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Guys
Any tips on the procedure to undo the electrical connector plugs on the compressor on a 97xk8?
What is the procedure for removing the compressor?
Does the underframe bolts need to be undone? Engine lifted?
thank you

Old 01-26-2016, 10:38 AM

Oops just found it on a post by Graham.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...k8-xkr-x100-17
/90635d1405331552-air-conditioner-servicing-jtis-xk8-ac-compressor.pdf
Add to stickies?

Old 01-26-2016, 12:20 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

When I removed my compressor I had the luxury of a car lift so doing it on the ground might make it a little more difficult.

As for the plug it was a little awkward but achievable from the top, 4 of the mounting bolts were relatively easy access but one of the a/c line bolts will need to be accessed using a longer extension to get to it I think I used 2 10” and 1 6”. Now removing the compressor is a trick and I would suggest that you not be in a rush to do it. It will take a few tries but it will come out however installing it without spilling the oil in the compressor is another thing just take your time. Are you going to flush your system?

It looks like I need to finish my procedure for the R&R of the compressor and a complete flush of the system.

ErikE (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor connector ??

Hi
Got my compressor removed with tips from TreVoRTasmin & Gus some time ago - thanks !
Removed PS hose, but also PS pulley which is easy and gives a little more space.

Water to long to install it.
Got it back in also with a lot of fiddling and extensions :-)
But the strangest thing happen, I miss one connector.

Got the 1 lead, lock sensor, connected. Be sure not to get it pinched in back of compressor when mounting, I had to unscrew compressor again and be sure to have cable on correct side again.

But the 2 lead, clutch activate, connector from car ???
Where is the cable coming from, front, back top ??
I can't find it
Any tips appreciated.

Will search again tomorrow,,,,

Regards
Erik

Old 05-21-2016, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ErikE
Hi
Got my compressor removed with tips from TreVoRTasmin & Gus some time ago - thanks !
Removed PS hose, but also PS pulley which is easy and gives a little more space.

Water to long to install it.
Got it back in also with a lot of fiddling and extensions :-)
But the strangest thing happen, I miss one connector.

Got the 1 lead, lock sensor, connected. Be sure not to get it pinched in back of compressor when mounting, I had to unscrew compressor again and be sure to have cable on correct side again.

But the 2 lead, clutch activate, connector from car ???
Where is the cable coming from, front, back top ??
I can't find it
Any tips appreciated.

Will search again tomorrow,,,,

Regards
Erik
The connectors are comming fron the loom that stops at the vvt on the front of the car.
If a aj26 it will have 3 connectors. Two for the A/C comressor and one for the crank sensor at the flywheel.
The plug for the lock at compressor us a very small two wire connector. To reach it lower your hand parallel to the oil dipstick and feel under the compressor. Its a very short pigtail.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

The whole job is much easier if you have an engine hoist. I undid my motor mount bolts, and lifted the engine until I could get my quarter inch ratchet ,with no extensions, behind the compressor to get the lines off and on.

I also removed the left motor mount, because it was in the way of getting my compressor out. I figure why risk injury fighting with a heavy piece, when it is just as easy to take a light piece off, to get at the heavy piece.(When in doubt, take it out) The compressor came out the top.

I also removed the low pressure power steering hose, and removed the pump bolts, and let it rest on the cross member. You do need to remove the pulley to get at the 2 power steering pump bolts.

The electrical connection is very easy to get at, when you have the engine lifted.

Including R and R of the belt the whole job took about 2 hours, not including evacuate and recharge of the system. Air tools help with the time also. The compressor bolts go into the block a long way, and are of different lengths.....Best of luck......Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 05-21-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:08 PM

Thanks for reply Autobahn kid & mrplow58 :-)
I followed cable down by oil dipstick, still cant find it, don't look like I tearded it off either, even looked around with a endoscope on my pc.
Anyway I leave it, new compressor/clutch is in with new bearings.
Had a test run, runs smoothly, no noise.
Have to get it running and to the technical test befor they take my plates, just a few days left.
I can run without AC for some days here in Norway
Rgds, Erik

Old 05-27-2020, 04:25 PM
Default Pulled the PS pump

I was preparing to disconnect the steering shaft, drop the rack, and hoist the engine, when I decided to take another look from topside.

I pulled the PS pump, and that gave me room to wiggle both hands into the area at the rear of the compressor. I used a stubby 8mm Gearwench to remove the two bolts that secured the suction and discharge fittings.

It is very nice to have functional A/C now that the daily high temperatures are in the 90s again.