XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Stuck Misery

Old 06-21-2019, 01:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Alternator Stuck Misery

Well finally got around to replacing my alternator. Everything is removed but the alternator is stuck on the bottom bracket. I guess it is the bush I have seen mentioned on this forum. Any advice will be appreciated on how to get this loose.

I have fond memories of my old SS396 Chevelle, An alternator change on that was a hour job tops.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I just pry the alt back and forth until it moves. I always move the steel bush a few mm before I reinstall the alt so it drops in.

bob

Old 06-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Default Question

Cooling off and looking at it again it seems the problem is the bottom rear bush. Looking at the car from below there is a good gap between the read mounting ear and the alternator case. However I can see the bush protruding from the ear and causing the bind. When I look at the replacement alternator the mounting area is nice and flat and much wider than the bush. I am thinking of taking a long narrow piece of wood , placing it on the alternator frame and trying to hammer the Alternator back into the bush, freeing it up.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts
Default I failed in my attempt to switch out the alternator too

I failed too in my first attempt to switch out the alternator. I’ll be very interested in any tricks/tips you have to share, when I go for my second attempt.

I tried from the top, but other Forum members advised to take out the oil filter and try from the bottom. Also they said take the alternator holding bolts out, rotate the alternator before disconnecting the ground and plug connectors.

Good luck on the job.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:58 AM
Default Hard to believe this problem

My car is a 2000 xk8. The problem for me is the bottom rear bush out and binding the generator (Alternator). One thing I did you may want to do is remove the oil filter, it makes getting access much easier and all you loose is a few ounces of oil and putting on a new filter, no reason to drain the oil, just keep it clean.

What I am going to do next is using a piece of pipe I am able to use a hammer and try to drive the bushing back. Will make sure that I have the pipe seated on the generator and will use a soft hammer. The front of the generator is flush to the engine mount so unable to pry in back and push in the bush. It is interesting that the generator will swing freely on the bottom bracket so its close to coming out. I am taking a day off from the ordeal so will let you know how it goes.

I did follow your experience in this forum and I hope you get the damn thing out. If you do get it ut PLEASE let me know how....

Let's face it, all modern cars are difficult to work on, but thie Jaguar has to be one of the hardest. I have never had a part that with everything disconnected and plenty of room and it still wont come out. This is a first for me. Good Luck

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Default Pics please

If you can, please take a pic from the bottom view behind the oil filter and post it.

I feel your pain. I haven’t yet summoned the courage to have another go on mine.

Good luck

Old 06-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Default Its OUT

David,

Its done.
Ok , here is how I did it. First I removed the main power line and the uper and lower mounting bolts. I did not remove the plastic connector as I was worried to break it. In the image it is still attached. My generator was able to rotate easity towards the side but there was no for and aft room. I removed the oil filter and highly recommend doing.it. We I realized it was stuck i applied both PB Blaster anad WD40 to the brackets to get things as loose as possible and let it sit for a day. With the hood, bonnet in the "Service" position I move the gernerator towards the wheel well. I took a 3 foot length of 1 inch by 1 inch wood and getting the best angle I could from forward and above placed in on the body of the generator. I struck it solidly about 10 times then checked to make sure I was not damaging the car. No change. Got back up and hit it again 10 times and checked the progress. Now the generator has moved!!!. From above with both hands I was now able to wiggle the generator and it came free. The whole process took 10 minutes. I think the penetrating oils helped greatly.

At this point I have to remove the harness, much easier in this position. Also trying to extract the generator without removing the radiator fans. People on this forum say it can be done. My car is a 2000, North American version.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

The noise suppressor, probably needs to come out if it hasn't already. I removed / replaced my alternator twice on my XK8, and I've never touched the fans.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:17 PM

My car does not have a noise suppressor so just lifting out the alternator was easy. The only problem now is the harness connector of course broke on removal so have a repair pigtail on order. Guess should of seen that one coming.

The following 2 users liked this post by David F.:
cjd777 (06-23-2019), DavidYau (06-23-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 04:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That bush is a pig and I used brute force like you.
I changed it over all from the top.
With the airbox bracket removed, the alternator rotated out with just enough clearance.
no need to remove anything at the front other than the belt.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mark Oz:
DavidYau (06-28-2019), volkris (07-06-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 09:52 AM

David,

I am done and hope you are also. If you are still looking to do it let me know there are a few problems I encountered that you may also have.

Good Luck

The following 2 users liked this post by David F.:
cjd777 (07-03-2019), DavidYau (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Default Still haven’t had a second attempt though

David F

Congrats on completing the alternator change. I haven’t had a second go yet. I note your advice and tips for my next go ie Hit it with a big stick ! Brute force works!

My previous experiences are in the thread below.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ailure-218825/

Right now, after threatening it that I was going to change to a younger model, the alternator seems to have perked up, so no rush. Also I’ve a more urgent front suspension overhaul which is planned very soon pending parts delivery.