XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COOLANT - should have changed those old parts sooner!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default COOLANT - should have changed those old parts sooner!

Sniff, sniff - Sudden, strong coolant smell as traffic stopped at the intersection. "Sure hope that's not us," I thought. We were going to buy Abby an iPad.

Two seconds later "LOW COOLANT" and the RED light showed up. It was us. Temp wasn't elevated, had been driving less than five minutes (but really enjoying the new responsiveness from my adjusted throttle cable, but that's another thread).

Got it into a parking lot and found this:

It looks like the plastic bit just let go at the neck. Is this a Jaguar part, or perhaps (hopefully) an Autozone...part? It's right on top, so access to this one is no problem. I am thinking I need to get a whole set of connectors and hoses, though, and install them pre-emptively!

Confirmation of what more than one of you said when I bought the car and joined the forum a couple months ago - It's a 12 year old car and some of the parts are reaching the end of their service life. (I know, but I still somehow think things should last forever - which people liked when I was making stuff for them)

Hate to let the car sit in the garage all weekend, but maybe I'll get homework done

Good news was, no apparent damage, we still got Abby's iPad, the tow truck driver was familiar with hauling nice cars and was gentle ("That's a really pretty car."), and we got home only an hour-and-a-half later than planned.

The car has been running better as I drive it more. Haven't had a code in quite a while. This is incentive to get all the maintenance done before driving up to see the fall colors in a few months.

Last edited by Abby's Guy; 05-26-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Stepping on that throttle now is a whle new thrill isnt it. I bet it puts a big smile on your face. It does me.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:56 PM

Absolutely! Quicker and more powerful than in sport mode before adjusting.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Any suggestions for removing the barb from the hose)?or do I need to replace the whole line to the line to the fill tank?

Old 05-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The hose and connectors is sold as a unit. It looks like around 20 dollars at the dealer, so not too bad.

The parts information is a little ambiguous on this hose, so the dealer might be you best bet for the correct part number.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-27-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:15 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Sometimes the dealerprice ends up being cheaper than autozone/aftermarket or even on internet.
Just be aware that. I have experienced that a couple of times now.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jochem00
Sometimes the dealerprice ends up being cheaper than autozone/aftermarket or even on internet.
Just be aware that. I have experienced that a couple of times now.
+1

I always check Jaguar Dealer prices for parts first to get a baseline to compare against other suppliers. Very often find them cheaper or so close as to make no difference.

That's not to say Jaguar don't have some parts prices that could trigger cardiac arrest!

Graham

Old 05-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Here is the release tool

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Smile thank you, Thank YOU

Thank you all for your good advice and tips.

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The hose and connectors is sold as a unit. It looks like around 20 dollars at the dealer, so not too bad.

The parts information is a little ambiguous on this hose, so the dealer might be you best bet for the correct part number.
That's a relief! sure beats trying to create or adapt something from elsewhere at greater cost.
I see what you mean. It could be #18 MJB4468BB, right? I think I'll take in the old part.

If only everyone else (at least suppliers) had worked while I was off work, I'd have it fixed by now. Okay, everyone should get a day off, and this was a good time to remember those who have fallen in service.

Originally Posted by GGG
+1

I always check Jaguar Dealer prices for parts first to get a baseline to compare against other suppliers. Very often find them cheaper or so close as to make no difference.

That's not to say Jaguar don't have some parts prices that could trigger cardiac arrest!

Graham
True, true, true. Brings to mind the time I saw some used items sell at auction for twice their new price, not antiques. It pays to KNOW what things actually cost.

Thought I'd remove the remaining part(s) so my bride can take them with her to pick up new parts. So, what is the trick to getting these little hose clamps to let go? Are these the one-time use clamps that are the subject of derision and discussion? (I tried to resize the pic, and thought I had, but it came through BIG - sorry)

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Here is the release tool

bob gauff
Thanks for the picture, Bob. That looks like it would make quick connect removal much easier. Maybe I can make something like that...

At one of the parts stores yesterday, the guy cautiously asked why I had bought a Jaguar. As I told him the story, he looked skeptical. Then I showed him a picture (the car was home, in the garage). "Oh, wow!" He said, "Most of them are, um, ..." he stammered around how to say they are not nearly as attractive as these models. He reminded me multiple times to bring it by so they can see it.

I'm eager to get it running so I can share the joy.

Thanks, again for all the help.

Last edited by Abby's Guy; 05-28-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: add explanation
Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 AM
GGG

Those clamps are re-useable. You'll not be surprised to hear there's a special tool but a pair of pliers is just as effective.

Looking at the closed clamp on the right in this picture:

COOLANT - should have changed those old parts sooner!-hose-clamp-norma-14.jpg

You can see four 'ridges'. Squeeze the top one and the bottom one together and the clamp will open.

The picture shows an opened clamp on the left. To close it, squeeze the top and third ridges down together until the clamp locks.

Graham

Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 PM
MrS
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby's Guy
had been driving less than five minutes (but really enjoying the new responsiveness from my adjusted throttle cable, but that's another thread)

sooo....details on that adjusted throttle cable?!

and hello from a fellow Tennessean.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by MrS
sooo....details on that adjusted throttle cable?!

and hello from a fellow Tennessean.
Big long huge thread. See the search function.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 AM
MrS
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Big long huge thread. See the search function.

obvious answer is obvious hahaha. thanks a ton. that is a LONG thread. but the video gives me something to do tonight. cant wait!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Default Overdue Update

Okay. time for an update on what happened with the coolant line and the throttle adjustment.
(Brief explanation of delay is that I'm finishing a master's degree while working full-time)
Apologies for the pictures not working. Will try to get them visible when I have little more time.

As White XKR said, the information on the part was ambiguous. The dealer's information was just as sketchy - just rough sketches and poorly placed part numbers that MIGHT match. It took a couple orders to get the right part.

Thanks to Graham, I got the hose clamps removed and that end switched out without incident. The broken end, however...

I tried pushing it into place. Oops. Too long. Closer examination showed the clear difference. The rest of the broken piece was still stuck in the orifice. That's why the new part is longer than the old part. Hmmm....

Now, how to get the stuck part of the part out of there so I could put in the new, complete part? Screw it.

Well, Wall Dog it. Screwed a Wall Dog into it.

Then had to find a way to pull out the screw and the part of a part. Chanellocks!

When it did pull out, debris scattered across the supercharger snout.

Still stuff in there! A crochet hook helped get it out. The plastic one was flexible enough to be useful.

I couldn't actually see in there, hoses and such were in the way, but my phone/camera fit down in there and provided a view for me and documentation for the forum! Loving technology.

There's still stuff in there! That sucked. The vacuum, I mean. It sucked more debris out of there.

There's still an o-ring in there.

A dental pick (one of my favorite picky tools) worked to grab that slippery ring and pull it out.

The new part snapped right in and worked great. Topping up the coolant was easy. Seems to have only lost what was in the line and the reservoir.

As for the Throttle cable adjustment: I've been tempted to put it back as it was and try the electronic "re-education" of the throttle to see if that would produce similar results. Before making the adjustment, I could step on it off the line and get decent acceleration, but nothing flamboyant. Now if I step on it from a stop, HOLD ON! That ASC lights up right after the tires give a serious chirp and we're off to the races. Almost scary to put it in performance mode.

It might be all in my head, but I'm guessing it's going to get into my pocket book when I have to replace tires sooner. I consider traction control a money saving device. Without it I'd be buying tires monthly!

Last edited by Abby's Guy; 09-26-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Trying to get pictures to show. Arrggghhhh. Still not working. Will work on it.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:26 AM
GGG

Great result.

Dental Pick is acceptable but there's just no way I'll let anyone see a Crochet Hook in my tool box!

Graham