XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Details on Win7 64 bit new install method & new JTIS21 XK series archive

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Details on Win7 64 bit new install method & new JTIS21 XK series archive

Hi
The Details on Win7 64 bit new install method & new JTIS21 XKseries archive are listed here in this thread.

Now here are the details:

There is now a new install PDF file “Installing DA350.dll in Win7 64 bit ver 1.1” PDF file.

This file has step by step instructions and screenshots.

There are really only 4 steps in getting the software installed using this method:
Run Microsoft Help software file - 32 bit for 64 bit OS - Windows6.1-KB91760 - - this prepares the PC to handle 32 bit help files (using "run as administrator" option)

Put the DAO350.dll file into the correct folder, then register the DAO350.dll (using “run as administrator” option)

Run XP-Fix file – that is included in the Special Edited version archives or can be downloaded separately (using “run as administrator” option)

Run the setup.exe file in the JTIS21 folder to install the JTIS21 software (using “run as administrator” option)

That’s it – all done

Now here is the why and where information:

I started a new thread “JTIS21 Win7 64 install method & new archives” in the general tech section post #1:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...rchives-65926/

I am repeating the same information here in this thread (and also in the other appropriate Jaguar model sections).

Well – Here is the initial information:

We finally have a way to install the JTIS21 Jaguar Shop manual on all the Win7 64 bit computers without having to install vitual machines or xp mode.

This is how it was accomplished:

By Plums furnishing the right technical information and advice on how to get it working properly

By yours truly finding the required files and putting them in proper locations (later doing the 1st successful install on my Win7 64 bit pro laptop) then writing the instructions and inserting the screen shots that are now in the install PDF file, also successfull install on Win7 64 bit Home premium desktop

By Translator furnishing other technical advice on improving the instructions and doing the 2nd & 3rd successful installs on other win7 64 bit computers

Translator has added all these files to the general tech help – Large Files download area.

Find the entry line in the Translator posting “JTIS21 CD download with instructions” within the thread (has this weblink embedded)

Free File Sharing Made Simple - MediaFire

Here the screen shot of the folders and files for the JTIS21 on the large files download area in the mediafire.com:

Name:  JTIS21Archivesfoldersonlargefilesdownloadarea.jpg
Views: 4124
Size:  50.9 KB

I created separate Special Edited versions of the JTIS21 by Jaguar model series as shown in the screenshot above.

Folder “JTIS 21” has the four folders listed below it. Also has the Win7 64 bit JTIS21 install instructions PDF file (Installing DA350.dll in Win7 64 bit ver 1.1); the JTIS21 instructions and illustrations PDF file; and the Mediafire download & Extract instructions PDF file.

Folder “JTIS21 All Parts” has the entire JTIS21 archive – the 3 self extract archive files total 481 megs – also the technical guides archive and
the CD disk label image file.

The Special Edited JTIS21 archives by model series have the Win 64 bit Install PDF file and the 64 bit files included in them.

Folder “S Type JTIS” is a special edited JTIS archive – it has 2 self extract archive files that total 277 megs – only has the Jaguar S Type model shop repair information (The X type, XJ series and XK series have been removed).

Folder “X Type JTIS” also is SE JTIS archive with 2 files self extracting in the archive (311 megs) - only X Type is included, other models have been removed.

Folder “XJ Series JTIS” same type of SE JTIS archive – 2 files (344 megs) only XJ models Series

Folder “XK Series JTIS” same type of SE JTIS archive – 2 files (287 megs) only XK models Series

The reason these archives are still pretty large is that the graphic files in the DATA/GRAPHIC folder total 225 megs (just over 13000 files).

All these JTIS archives are also available on my personal mediafire.com account – here are the weblinks

S Type

X Type

XJ Series
http://www.mediafire.com/?gbpriw5milokh

XK Series
http://www.mediafire.com/?bmorw1escearp

Win7 64 bit instructions and required files (Win7 issues)

http://www.mediafire.com/?987a1qjb2aal7

JTIS21 All Parts (JTIS 21 Downloads)

Here are screenshots showing the JTIS21 XK Special Edited version:

First Screen that opens

Name:  JTIS21XKSeriesSpeciallyEditedVersion1stscreenshot.jpg
Views: 4158
Size:  82.2 KB

Next Screen after Service selection (XK Range and Model year 2002 selected) Normal screen with a picture of the Car and the graphical choices (General Information, Powertrain, etc)

Name:  JTIS21XKSeriesSpeciallyEditedVersionVehiclescreenshot.jpg
Views: 4068
Size:  62.9 KB

Here is the Screen after using view menu and the Text Navigator option. It shows listing index with the Powertrain and its sub categories listed.

Name:  JTIS21XKSeriesSpeciallyEditedVersionnormalviewscreenshot.jpg
Views: 4028
Size:  123.3 KB

The top menu bar – DTC Summaries, Maintenace Schedules – all work properly and it will let you view all the Jaguar model series and model years that are in the normal full JTIS21. The Electrical Diagrams for the other model series have been removed to reduce the size of the download archives and save the disk space on your PC.

Here is what happens if you try to use Service selection for anything other than XK Range (in this case X-Type)

Name:  JTIS21XKSeriesSpeciallyEditedVersionmodelselectionerror.jpg
Views: 4025
Size:  87.6 KB

I am sure there will questions and I will be the point person for all the support issues

Sorry - this post is so lengthy

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.
The following 18 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
aamcobrian (01-06-2018), Arthur Dent (10-03-2012), B&DWoolley (03-18-2013), cjd777 (02-10-2016), dannyS (06-20-2013), dhlundy (06-25-2013), LuvMyKitty (08-25-2012), NeilJones (04-25-2012), niceramaykina (10-10-2016), phyllisita (09-13-2013), Reverend Sam (11-20-2012), RJ237 (04-13-2012), SteveJacks (01-07-2013), teckwing (01-08-2012), Translator (01-05-2012), UKnFor-dluv-expat (06-25-2015), wlbusmcr (07-01-2017), woox4 (03-13-2015) and 13 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have anything for a mac????

The following users liked this post:
aamcobrian (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hi ToddL
Here is a new posting from forum member Guy in the New JTIS21 CD download with download instructions thread in the XJ8/XJR section post # 26:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uctions-54640/

Quote: Thanks for the files. Looking forward to following the manual for a change ;-)
I run XP in a virtualbox environment from my mac... and this works flawlessly.
Guy Pensa

Looks like you could send him a PM asking about the details:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/members/guy-2433/

Hope this helps

Jim Lombardi

Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim,

Thank you!!! I previously had it running in Virtual Box, which was a pain, plus I could not print from there- and now I can.

The only problem I had was saving the DAO350 file to the common files. After much cussing at our neighbors in Redmond (Gates and company) I found out that I had to go through the 'Properties' window to 'Security' and give myself, as administrator, permission. That alone did not do it, so after more cussing I found that I had to go to the 'Advanced' settings and make myself the 'Owner' of the folder. SUCH POWER!!!!

Reminder to self - go back and undo those permissions before I delete something important and turn this computer into 20 lbs of cold, junk plastic!!

The following 2 users liked this post by jhenryr:
jimlombardi (01-11-2012), niceramaykina (10-10-2016)
Old 01-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks so much for posting this.

However, I have spent hours trying to get this to work; all of it is to no avail.
It always says, by the time I try to run the program, that it "contains an invalid path".

I did encounter some weird things when installing the DAO350. Turns out, my computer, despite using the recommended download, has DAO360. This messed me up in cmd. After I fixed that, I installed XPfix. I went on to install the XJ thing, and it comes up with a warning in there, saying "you need to install DAO35 (not 350, I checked). The box went away though, and I restarted, and finished the thing.

got that error message.

I only downloaded the XJ files, this time I'm downloading the main JTIS21 files in addition. Maybe that is my problem? (Seems obvious, but I can be incompetent on computers)
Thanks,

Ian

Old 01-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hi
ianclements, I sent you a PM on your problem. Also your problem is not the XJ special Archive download.
The dao350.dll is the full file name for the dao35 dll file.

After you copy dao350.dll file from the archive into the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\DAO folder, there should be 2 files in that folder (dao350.dll and dao360.dll).

When you run the cmd.exe and the dao350.dll is not in the folder mentioned above, the registration of the dao350.dll file (dao35 file) will fail and the JTIS21 software will not be installed properly.

Notice the cmd line that I asked to be pasted into the cmd screen:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\DAO\dao350.dll"

This is how the dao350.dll is sucessfully registered in the win7 64 bit operating sytem.

After you successfully install and are able to use the XJ special edited version, If you PM me, I will sent you directions on where to download another special archive for adding the XK model series into the XJ JTIS21 that you have working (it replaces some of the error message dummy files for the XK that I created for the XJ special edited version).

Also forum members, I have other archive downloads for adding and removing jaguar series models (X Type, S Type, XJ and XK).

I will post the details if forum members have any interest in them. Just PM me if interested.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-20-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I downloaded Part 2 fine, but I cannot get Part 1 to download for the XK JTIS.
JTIS21 XK Series.part1.exe is the file I am trying to download.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hi randyb
I just tested and downloaded the XK special edition part 1 with no problems (took about 4 minutes to download the 145 meg archive).

Here is the same weblink in the other posting:

Try it now.

Jim Lombardi

Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Default Additional Screenshots and help with install procedures

Hi
After several PM sent and Pm reply with forum member ianclements. I decided the test and document the JTIS21 XJ special edited version archive download. Here are some more instructions and screenshot on the steps after the successful registratoin of the dao350.dll.
Pertains mostly with the download, extraction and running setup.exe to install the JTIS21 software.

Note: the instructions & screenshots in XK sticky tread - post #9 are for the special edited versions - X Type, S Type, XJ, XK.

I will start another new thread for the all models archive - to show where the final destination location of the JTIS files and folders should be placed.

I created these screenshots of the steps I took to download, then run the archive exe file, then change the destination folder location, then what I did to continue to the archive extraction into the C:\ folder, also the screenshots show where the files in actually found their final resting place in the folder and its subfolders.

First one is the mediafire.com Jaguar forums account download folders for JTIS21 XJ:

Name:  JTIS21downloadinfolocationtoputfolders1.jpg
Views: 3832
Size:  36.1 KB

2nd one is the c:\downloads folder (Jim is my user name) on my laptop showing the 2 JTIS21 XJ archive folders that were created by the download from mediafire.com

Name:  JTIS21downloadinfolocationtoputfolders2.jpg
Views: 3929
Size:  21.1 KB

3rd one is the running of the archive self extracting exe file. It shows the (default destination folder - this the folder where the archives were downloaded).

I change the destination folder to the C:\ folder in next screenshot (screenshoot 4) by using the browse button and selecting computer then C:\ folder.

Name:  JTIS21downloadinfolocationtoputfolders3.jpg
Views: 3880
Size:  34.6 KB

Here is screenshot 4

Name:  JTIS21downloadinfolocationtoputfolders4.jpg
Views: 3838
Size:  32.0 KB

Screenshot 5 showing that JTIS21 XJ being extracted and going into C:\ folder and subfolder C:\JTIS21 XJ Series (the subfolder comes from the original folder location where the archives was created).

Name:  JTIS21downloadinfolocationtoputfolders5.jpg
Views: 3919
Size:  64.0 KB

Here is the 6th screenshot showing the extracted folders and files in their final destination folder and subfolders (C:\JTIS21 XJ Series folder)

Name:  JTIS21downloadinfolocationtoputfolders6.jpg
Views: 3918
Size:  81.1 KB

Notice that I have highlighted in blue the Setup.exe file (this is the file you run to install the software). When you run the Setup.exe, it will create (or overwrite existing) files in the C:/Jaguar folder and create a new jjtis.ini file in the C:/windows folder.

Then you are good to go and you will be able to open the Jaguar shop repair manual (JTIS21) and start using the information in it.

If we all put these files in the folder locations I have documented above, then we will have less issues with the installation and resolving any other issues that might come up in the future.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-28-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Default JTIS21 all models additional info & screenshots update

Hi
I started this new post because it is important to have the JTIS21 files and folders placed in the same final destination folder location.

Note: these instructions & screenshots for the JTIS21 all models (not the special edited versions for individual model archive downloads).

This will make the install process more standardized and leads to better/easier support resolutions to any future issues that may come up.

Here is some more documentation on the install process for the JTIS21 all models (versus the documentation for the special edited versions by model).

I just posted this information in the general tech help sticky JTIS21 win7 64 bit install thread.
Note: the instructions & screenshots in general tech help sticky tread - post #13 are for the all model version download achives (not for the special edited achives for the individual X Type, S Type, XJ, XK).

See the rest of these instructions in post 13 in this other thread:

JTIS21 win7 64 install method & new archives

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 02-04-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Default New posting dao350.dll taking ownship of DAO folder

Hi
I just put a new post in the sticky thread JTIS21 win7 64 install method & new archives on the General Tech Help section of the forum.

Some of forum members are having a problem with adding the dao350.dll into the DAO folder.

The new post gives step by step instructions and screenshots on how to take ownship of the DAO folder.

This then allows you to add the dao350.dll file into the DAO folder.

Here is the weblink to the new posting (look at post# 15):

Jim Lombardi

Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

good writeup, I am now running both my JTIS and my EPC from the hard drive on windows 7 32-bit. so nice not using discs all the time! I appreciate the hard work you put in.

jimlombardi (02-07-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many posts on this subject (with most being a bit over my head). Before I start to delve through and comprehend it all, I wanted to see if there were any last-minute updates or changes (or better ways) to get an XK8 (mine's a 2002) service manual CD to work on a 64-bit Windows 7 PC. There are several CD manuals listed on eBay, but all say they are not compatible with Windows 7. What's the best source for the manual CD and which of the above posts will give me the best directions on making it work? I'm pretty computer-savvy as far as doing normal downloads, installs, etc., but don't be afraid to treat me like an idiot and assume I know nothing. Short words in short sentences are always appreciated!! Thanks.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 6,249 Likes on 5,449 Posts

I think this is your best bet for getting it running on a W7 machine.
Just follow the instructions step by step, you can burn the files to a CD if you prefer.
If you have a problem you can always ask here.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the quick reply -- will order a CD and try it.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Hi tosaman
You do not need to order a CD. The JTIS shop repair manual is a free download here on the forum.

You have a choice of the all models version or XK model series version.

Here is the weblink to the JTIS21 download thread (go down to post#1):

Jim Lombardi

Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 6,249 Likes on 5,449 Posts

Yes, I just meant you could burn it to a cd if you didn't want to keep it on your hard drive.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I misunderstood the earlier post. Free download sure is better than purchasing a CD!!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts
Default JTIS download

I am not good around computers, but this is ridiculous. I can't get past the first step. I downloaded the MS help file from the mediafire account, but I can't do anything with it. When I rightclick I do not see a run option, just open, and if I click on that the file just updates.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

My thanks to Jim for sticking with me. My home edition was slightly different, and my skill level being so low, it took several days of emails and a lengthy phone call. I was about to give up and install on my desktop with XP, but now I have it on my laptop and can take to the garage.

jimlombardi (01-07-2013)

Quick Reply: Details on Win7 64 bit new install method & new JTIS21 XK series archive