Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does miles matter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does miles matter?

Hi you all,

I'm in the proccess of buying a Jag XKE in Spain.

I'm looking for something affordable, hence focus on 1997-2000 models which seems the ugly duck due to nikasil, tensioners and transmision. But they are much cheaper than younger models. I'm planning to do tensioners. Guess that nikasil issues should have appear by now so they shouldnt be a problem now.
Transmission is a bet though, any hints of what i should be looking for?

It also concerns that the cars available over here are mostly 100k miles smokers and I dont know if those are too big miles for this cars, what you reckon gentlemen?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

I guess you mean XK8 or XKR ?
Lots of information here - just search "buying guide" or similar. If it's still running, Nikasil isn't likely to be a problem. Tensioners are a big issue - DIY fairly straightforward but expensive if you go to a dealer.
If the car has lived in Spain, rust may not be an issue, if a UK "export", then be very diligent checking sills, floor panels, front suspension etc.
If there's no service history, I would walk away. If there is documentation, go through it. Evidence of a careful owner(s) will (might) give some reassurance that it has been well cared for.
Let's face it - you can't really "thrash" a 4.0 V8 unless you are either very brave or very foolish. But - a 1997 car is 18 years old, and if neglected, could need a lot of work (expense) to put right.
Not sure what consumer rights are like in Spain - if like the UK - a private sale means you're on your own if it all goes pear-shaped. If you buy from a dealer or garage, then you've got at least three months to get any major issues sorted under the (in the UK) "sales of goods act".

Last edited by DevonDavid; 01-14-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

As stated above, the Nikasil issue is no longer a factor if the car is OK now. It may even be a better engine according to many on the forum.

Age is more a factor at this point than miles are. Rubber and plastic are deteriorating rapidly now and will need to be checked or replaced.

If you do the tensioners and ensure the cooling system is good, you have covered most of the fatal areas.

It would be wise to pay attention to the transmission. Once purchased, flush and fill with new fluid. Again, this is based on age, not miles.

Everything else will be standard "older car" issues. Check the DIY stickies at the top of the forum page for tips on what to look for in this year range.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:38 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

There are upgraded values that claim to reduce the transmission failure risk like this one.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-kit-146100/

Old 01-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

The age matters because if you look here you will see that most of the '99 years are experiencing a head gasket failure now. This year had the composite, non-matelic gasket. Maintenance is key in all Jags.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I never worry about miles on a Jaguar provided it is backed up with a comprehensive service history. Any gaps are suspicious. If you follow the forums you'll find the pampered low mileage infrequently used models often cause more trouble than the daily drivers.

From my drives across Spain in recent years, Jaguars are not a common sight so I expect your choice of XK8's will be limited. Nevertheless, you could easily spend more on the 'essential/recommended' repairs on an early year example than the cost difference of buying a later year.

It all comes back to checking the vehicle history. A well maintained Jaguar is a pleasure to own but a neglected one can be a money pit.

Graham

Old 01-15-2016, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 461 Likes on 333 Posts

As you are in Madrid, rust could well be an issue. XKs that look nice and shiny on the outside could well be rusty underneath, especially in the wheelarches, suspension and the drivers and passenger side floors.

Spanish national cars are also stupidly expensive compared to ones in the UK or other parts of Europe. Its certainly worth considering getting one outside of Spain and importing it, getting a younger model. If you can't stretch to the 4.2 version, get the 4.0 XKR, which has the Mercedes transmission and other upgraded parts.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Extra miles on a younger car and a thick pile of receipts etc would be my choice. (Age and lack of use are not good.)

Old 01-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Extra miles on a younger car and a thick pile of receipts etc would be my choice. (Age and lack of use are not good.)
I do need to throw my two cents in here regarding "lack of use"... my car has averaged just over 2,000 miles/yr since new (a 2001, I bought it in 2012 with 25K on her and she is now at 31k) and the car is just perfect - no issues other than age related issues (such as the "green shower" and the upper shock mounts). Since I live in South Florida, I assume that my car was a snow birds car and only driven for 4 months or so a year and was garaged all the time - as it looks too good to have been left out in the Florida sun year round.

Maybe my experience is not the norm, but personally I would always prefer a low mileage vehicle (from a warm climate) over a high mileage vehicle. Higher miles equals higher wear and tear on ALL of the car.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:43 AM

Mmm, lots on interesting points of view.

Re model year. Still I'll be looking for 97-00 models (average sale prices 10k €) as newer cars in Spain are too dear (15k +)

Re miles. I tend to agree with general consensus: good high miles are better than low bad ones (city, short trips or laid out) I'd prefer below 100k miles but most I've seen are around the ton.

Re history. Definetely looking for documented maintenance and coming from one owner or a long lasting one. Preferably a caring person!!

First revision. Shall do primary tensors at least, if not done before. Change all fluids including gearbox unless proof of recently done

What a car like that will cost on your country?
XKE coupe 97-00, 100k miles, one owner, good maintenance history?

Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

In the Dallas area, about 8-10K. Houston seems to be cheaper. Good documentation is very difficult to get. Very few original owners and records tend not to get transferred.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

My 1999 XK8 coupe with 77,XXX miles on her in very good condition cost me less than $5,000 USD in 2014. There were no maintenance records and only one key. However, I've not seen another early XK8 for less than $7,XXX USD advertised locally (St. Louis MO area) since I bought mine.
I replaced the tires and the plastic secondary tensioners, but no other work has been required. Of course, I am in the process of replacing all the fluids, the waterpump and hoses to avoid issues in the future. Except for the water pump replacement, these are things I would do to any 15-year-old car.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:04 PM

Mmm, lots on interesting points of view.

Re model year. Still I'll be looking for 97-00 models (average sale prices 10k €) as newer cars in Spain are too dear (15k +)

Re miles. I tend to agree with general consensus: good high miles are better than low bad ones (city, short trips or laid out) I'd prefer below 100k miles but most I've seen are around the ton.

Re history. Definetely looking for documented maintenance and coming from one owner or a long lasting one. Preferably a caring person!!

First revision. Shall do primary tensors at least, if not done before. Change all fluids including gearbox unless proof of recently done

What a car like that will cost on your country?
XKE coupe 97-00, 100k miles, one owner, good maintenance history?

Old 01-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

It may be how a car such as an XK8/R is positioned in the market, the exorbitant cost of dealer service and in the minds of owners but you seldom hear of really high mileage cars. My first XK8 was purchased at 106K miles and due to a 100K extended warranty was in wonderful shape. It was bought supper cheap because of the warranty expiration and a hydraulic top problem that probably cost me $400. But you never hear of one crossing 200K miles or seldom 150K. As you can see in my signature below I am a long time Volvo owner. Those cars easily go 250K miles and even the auto transmissions seem to last as long as the engines. I cannot believe that the Swedes are that much better than the British at building cars.

It has long been my opinion that on an universal basis cars last longer if they are well maintained.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmiejag
My 1999 XK8 coupe with 77,XXX miles on her in very good condition cost me less than $5,000 USD in 2014. There were no maintenance records and only one key. However, I've not seen another early XK8 for less than $7,XXX USD advertised locally (St. Louis MO area) since I bought mine.
I replaced the tires and the plastic secondary tensioners, but no other work has been required. Of course, I am in the process of replacing all the fluids, the waterpump and hoses to avoid issues in the future. Except for the water pump replacement, these are things I would do to any 15-year-old car.
Yes, but you took a car worth $5,000 and turned it into a car worth at least $8,000 by the addition of the new tires, tensioners and the coolant system upgrades. You get what you pay for, and you paid an appropriate price. Just because you are clever enough to do the work yourself does not mean all folks are so capable.