Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help in sorting out a few issues with my "new" XKR

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Help in sorting out a few issues with my "new" XKR

Greetings,

I am going to dig in and so searches on these things, but wanted to put them out to this most awesome group as well.

2005 XKR Convert, 42K miles, just delivered from the east coast. First drive found the following:

1. That power steering column... it telescopes in and out, but not up and down. I hear a click when attempting, but no motor sound. My XK8 has the opposite problem, will go up and down but not telescope in or out, so maybe there are parts available in-house.

2. Traction control will not disengage.The switch does not light up or take it out. The first drive I put it through some spirited corners under throttle and could not get the tail to kick out as the computer took over.

3. Driver's door panel is lose top left corner.

4. A pillar fabric is lose and bubbly.

5. I thought the NAV system would display the clock, oil pressure, and temperature gauges when not in NAV, but all I get is the clock. I miss my analog gauges on my XK8!

6. The CD player seems to skip pretty easily over bumps. Any suggestions on a good MP3 interface? I have used an RF modulator on another car with mixed results.

7. I swear the legroom is two or more inches less than the XK8, the seats are thicker on the R. is there any way to regain this? I am 6'3'.

Thank you!

John

Attached Thumbnails Help in sorting out a few issues with my "new" XKR-hello-kitty.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Many tips from the Reverend!

Check out his YouTube channel.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

John - for the mp3 interface - I just bought an iP-Jag-CDR from Discount Car Stereo. Thye have 2 versions - the iP-JAGCD which will connect between the amp/cd changer and allows you to use the ipod or iphone in place of the factory cd changer/amp or what I bought that keeps the cd changer operational so that when the ipod is disconnected, the cd changer will work. You can also get an adapter cable which will interface between the ipod connection and an aux jack style.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

Also - unless you are set on retaining the NAV - recommend fellow forum member - WhiteXKR's nav to 3gauge cluster conversion Navigation to 3-Gauge Conversion - TheJagWrangler

Old 06-22-2013, 03:16 PM

great video, exactly what I need to do. Thanks for the tip on the 3 gauge conversion, I will check it out. The DRS - traction/stability control - seems to be working today. Maybe the switch is just a little finicky.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by theweeb
great video, exactly what I need to do. Thanks for the tip on the 3 gauge conversion, I will check it out. The DRS - traction/stability control - seems to be working today. Maybe the switch is just a little finicky.
If its throwing trac/abs codes, mine does the same thing on occasion. It usually clears in a few hours or over night. (My mechanic said if it stays on, probably more of an issue.) I think the wheel sensors may be the cause in my case. Also happens when wet, or I wash the car. I'm working on cleaning sensors as suggested on several posts.

Btw, SUWEET car!! Exactly the one I was looking for!! Only found a 2002 local enough so I added the arden kit.
Gotta tell you, I originally had the same grille on mine, then changed to a black inset flat grille!! Talk about aggressive!! Yours would look killer with same grille!!

Last edited by philhef; 06-22-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

When cleaning the wheel speed sensors, be sure to check the condition of the wiring harness boots (especially on the two rear wheel sensors). You will find them to be split open and susceptible to dirt/grime/rainwater getting inside the harness sheathing and playing havoc by causing warning messages to appear on the dash. I cleaned these boots, sealed them up with a neutral-cure RTV silicone caulk from Lowe's, and we have seen no more of these warning messages since I did this back in March. Don't know how permanently the silicone caulk will stay on the boots since there's no question that they get continuously jostled on the road, so I've added "check the silicone caulk's condition" to my routine checklist at tire rotation time (every 6,000 miles for me). I will also take the time to clean the wheel speed sensors at each tire rotation although that task may need to be done more frequently depending upon general road conditions in any given area....

Old 06-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Both the traction switch and the steering control may respond to 'exercise'. It is worth a try before spending any money on them.

I have attached the TSB with a solution for your loose door panel.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the nav-3-gauge conversion. Well over 50 owners have performed this to date.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
501-57.pdf (60.1 KB, 119 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the great help! I just discovered the windscreen washers are not working, there is a click but no sound of the pump. Will try the headlamp washers to see if they are also inop, and start tracing back and doing a search.