Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I had to return my "Baby" to the Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default I had to return my "Baby" to the Dealer

Just when I thought the starter was fixed, the electrical glitch returned with a vengeance!! As stated in a previous thread my 'new to me' 2006 XK began refusing to allow the key to turn past the accessory(#II) position after about 21/2 weeks of ownership. Fortunately the dealer had a 30 day 50/50 warranty. After the problem recurred 4 times stranding me twice at night, I returned it to the dealer. He worked the problem, changed a brake switch, had the local Jag dealer try to find a fix. The jag dealer could not get it to recur(the original used dealer had it to recur 1 time.
Jag dealer pronounced it "Cured", returned it to me 2 weeks ago. I was happy camper. Spent weekend washing, waxing, detailing, conditioning leather, sealing gaskets, cleaning, sealing convertible top(see where this is going???).
Monday morning getting ready to go to a meeting, switch turns, starter turns, no ignition. Stop, turn switch, no starter, Stop, turn switch, key locks in #II position like previous times!!!!!! I mentally release flurry of profanity to Auto Gods!!!!
Short version of the rest of this story, I called the dealer, he had agreed to let me return the car if the problem returned within 30 days of the 2nd pickup date. I just returned the car, and have just deposited a check for the returned car.
Now to start looking for another XK???

Old 06-06-2019, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Sam that is really a sad result.

I can't remember the details about your 2006 but here is the only one near me that looks to have potential. I could go take a closer look and drive it if it interests you.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto...903085375.html

Old 06-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Sam,

We discussed selling my wife's white/cashmere 2006 Victory Edition convertible via PM last November. If you still have an interest in it, let me know. She may be willing to sell it now since her 2015 Lexus RX350 has become her daily driver....

Old 06-06-2019, 04:37 PM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Sam - sorry to hear you had to return her. The right one is out there for you

Old 06-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default So sorry

Sam - sorry to hear about you having to return the car.

Have fun tracking down a new XK, and you know now what to look for.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Just when I thought the starter was fixed, the electrical glitch returned with a vengeance!! As stated in a previous thread my 'new to me' 2006 XK began refusing to allow the key to turn past the accessory(#II) position after about 21/2 weeks of ownership. Fortunately the dealer had a 30 day 50/50 warranty. After the problem recurred 4 times stranding me twice at night, I returned it to the dealer. He worked the problem, changed a brake switch, had the local Jag dealer try to find a fix. The jag dealer could not get it to recur(the original used dealer had it to recur 1 time.
Jag dealer pronounced it "Cured", returned it to me 2 weeks ago. I was happy camper. Spent weekend washing, waxing, detailing, conditioning leather, sealing gaskets, cleaning, sealing convertible top(see where this is going???).
Monday morning getting ready to go to a meeting, switch turns, starter turns, no ignition. Stop, turn switch, no starter, Stop, turn switch, key locks in #II position like previous times!!!!!! I mentally release flurry of profanity to Auto Gods!!!!
Short version of the rest of this story, I called the dealer, he had agreed to let me return the car if the problem returned within 30 days of the 2nd pickup date. I just returned the car, and have just deposited a check for the returned car.
Now to start looking for another XK???
What is so annoying about your problem it sounds like a relatively easy fix. Its the relay in the box under the hood that forms a part of the T shape of relays. All they had to do is remove one of the other relays, all identical, swap it for your starter relay and id bet it would fix it. Sometimes one of the relay pins works loose. Causing an intermittent fault. Id bet money that all you had to do was give the relay a tap or small shake and it would have fixed/unfixed it.

Never assume Jaguar dealers know what they are talking about. Stick the computer on something it says no fault therefore there is no fault, even if it wont start. They are not mechanics they are part replacers.

I feel for you. Hope it has not put you off our little Jags.

I appreciate this is a bit late and of no use to you at all really except you might want to know the cause of all your woes.

*** This is not the actual set of relays I was talking about but it gives you a good idea. This is from an earlier car. Mine are at the front under the hood/bonnet uk. Looks very much like the diagram above though.

Last edited by frankc; 06-07-2019 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Thx all, guys. Frankc, I had put this problem out several weeks ago under another thread, and had gotten no responses as to possible causes. Wish you had seen it then. Oh well.....
Not put off the XK's, still looking for the right one. The one rothwell lists looks interesting, but lists no mileage. That is suspect. Jon89, yours is beautiful, and I am sure in great shape, but I am trying to stay below 100K mileage. I have a wife who is convinced any car older than 3 yrs should not be driven. I know, but she has other redeeming qualities o(please ladies, don't start boiling the oil just yet!!!!, I really do love her!!!). I am buying the car so she can drive it also. She will not drive my F-Type because she thinks it is too powerful (she prefers her Cadillac SUV). She drove the XK8 before I bought if and declared it suitable, even if it was a bit 'old' at 2006. The things we will do for our spouses.
I have a couple around the state I am looking at, but am in no rush, so I will take my time, and hopefully find something I(she) will be satisfied with, and will be dependable enough, as far as the XK's go???

Old 06-07-2019, 08:38 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Rothwell's XK did have the mileage shown in the photos... it is 92,684.

Good Luck!!

Old 06-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, I missed it. I am still working on first cup of coffee. That's my story. and I sticking to. Still a bit closer to 100K than I want right now. Will watch it though. The Victory Edition is interesting.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts
Old 06-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

The seller in Riverview FL is a regular flipper of Jaguar cars. Usually his are good ones but pricing is a bit steep.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

I have seen the ones in Riverview. Wondered about the quality of his cars.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Thx all, guys. Frankc, I had put this problem out several weeks ago under another thread, and had gotten no responses as to possible causes. Wish you had seen it then. Oh well.....
Not put off the XK's, still looking for the right one. The one rothwell lists looks interesting, but lists no mileage. That is suspect. Jon89, yours is beautiful, and I am sure in great shape, but I am trying to stay below 100K mileage. I have a wife who is convinced any car older than 3 yrs should not be driven. I know, but she has other redeeming qualities o(please ladies, don't start boiling the oil just yet!!!!, I really do love her!!!). I am buying the car so she can drive it also. She will not drive my F-Type because she thinks it is too powerful (she prefers her Cadillac SUV). She drove the XK8 before I bought if and declared it suitable, even if it was a bit 'old' at 2006. The things we will do for our spouses.
I have a couple around the state I am looking at, but am in no rush, so I will take my time, and hopefully find something I(she) will be satisfied with, and will be dependable enough, as far as the XK's go???
Sorry I did not see it. Being in the UK I obviously use the more UK based thread though I do pop onto here every so often.

For future reference you might find my English "Story" helpful. Click me to jump to my Story There is a link at the foot of my posted topics for anyone to browse to see if I had a similar problem. Its a bit long! Currently 456 pages of it. It was never intended to be a 'how to' more of a record of the work I have done for my own reflection. Though 568,000+ views later it seems to have gained life of its own.

I hope you do get another Jag. This time your a little wiser, aren't we all after we have such a lesson. Again my apologies for not spotting your earlier postings.

FrankC