Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Leather Dye?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Interior Leather Dye?

Has anyone had their interior, seats, console, door sides dyed? My leather interior is in excellent condition, just rather 'blah' looking. I want to change the colour from the pale Ivory under taupe to possibly a sahara tan/brown depending on the capability of the upholsterer.
I would not attempt a job of this size myself, as a correct dye job would require remove and replace, clean and dye with professional supplies.
My convertible top is already dark tan.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:01 AM
Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts

I've done it on a different car, using a kit. It's an easy DIY job. Have a look at this site for materials and tutorials (I appreciate you are across the pond, so probably not a practical source for you): https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/

Old 02-13-2019, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

I have actually used this material on another car with excellent results. That is one reason I would consider doing my XK. All our interiors use dyed leather, it is just a matter of what colour. I like to think I realize my limitation, and would not want to take on a full interior if I can get the job done at a reasonable price. Fortunately, I am in the position that I can support the local economy to a certain extent, and prefer to do so when possible.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

First find out which is leather and which is plastic. There's not a lot of leather in a Jaguar. Depending on spec it can be as little as the seat facings.

I've used leather dye for repairs such as wear on the driver's seat bolster but would be doubtful about using it for a colour change.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-07-2020)
Old 02-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

.Sam,
I don't know what color sahara tan/brown is but I would assume you mean Cashmere....I believe that would be what Jaguar calls it....Personally, I like the Ivory, which is the color of my Interior but of course I don't have a 2017 F-Type like you.....Why don't you get and XKR?..... Like the rest of us on this forum...…
Here's another Website:
https://www.topsonline.com/model/Sea...pe_Models.html
I believe they are in Florida.....

Bill Clyde

Old 02-14-2019, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

That is a great website, and I would use them if I needed seat covers or a top, but all my interior and my top are in great shape. The car only has 49,000 miles, and it appears the previous owner took very good care of it. I believe the colour would be cashmere under taupe. I am just considering the possibility of having it dyed something on the colour of milk chocolate. Just something to make it 'pop' a bit. My F-Type is Metalic BRG with a brogue interior. It never fails to draw attention whenever I stop. Sometimes more than I want. The XK8 being taupe/gold is beautiful, and I think a slightly darker interior might set if off just a bit.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:47 AM
Received 223 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
That is a great website, and I would use them if I needed seat covers or a top, but all my interior and my top are in great shape. The car only has 49,000 miles, and it appears the previous owner took very good care of it. I believe the colour would be cashmere under taupe. I am just considering the possibility of having it dyed something on the colour of milk chocolate. Just something to make it 'pop' a bit. My F-Type is Metalic BRG with a brogue interior. It never fails to draw attention whenever I stop. Sometimes more than I want. The XK8 being taupe/gold is beautiful, and I think a slightly darker interior might set if off just a bit.
I get that. I'm a big fan of the darker browns in interiors. Like saddle brown. We've got that in a 2013 grand cherokee and it looks really cool. On my Jag, the oatmeal color is one of the more dated looking parts of the car, IMO. I don't have the courage to change the interior color (would be too much work for me to do it properly, as the taupe accents would clash with a lot of things). Maybe one day it'll be Radwood cool.

That's all to say, I don't have much in the way of advice or tips, but really hope you post pics when you get around to doing this.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Sam,

What's the Trim Code on your XK8?

BC in Houston

Old 02-15-2019, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I see the word "dyed" mentioned a lot above. Actually the seats, in the X100 and most leather cars seats I know, are actually 'painted'. So its mainly a surface treatment rather than a change of leather colour. So it should be a case of carefully sanding off the last paint and then painting on a new, flexible, colour. So going from black to white or white to black is not much of a challenge. The biggest challenge is prep. Removing as much surface paint as possible then treating the leather ready for its new colour.

I have treated many seats over time but basically going from 'What a mess' to 'thats nice'. If your confident enough to remove your trim and seats from the car it should not be too hard a task for you. So called professionals often do not make as good a job of the work as you would. If you seperate the job into 4 tasks and take your time with each you can end up with some nicely done seats. Though I have to confess I do prefer the original colours of your seats, or color as you are in the states?

Will try and dig up some pictures of the seats I have tackled.

Update.

Found the pictures I talked about above. Rather than copy and repost its easier for me, being lazy, to post this link for you to see. Click here to see SOME of the leather I have repaired.

To temp you a 'half and half seat'. This is the interior of a car I bought cheaply, you can see why. I put a plastic sheet over one half of the seat and did the other side so I could see a good before/after work on the seat. Bit of a difference isn't there?

Last edited by frankc; 02-15-2019 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

As to trim code, I think it is champagne under taupe. I have run the VIN number, but did not get an interior code?
As to the recolouring, you're are right, it is amazing what a little cleaning, and repainting/redyeing can do to leather. I did some work on an '89 Cadillac Allante' that I had. The leather had been allowed to deteriorate, but with a little care. and some redyeing, it came back to life very nicely.
My interior is in great shape, I just want to brighten it up somewhat. I hope to use a professional, as I think the job of pulling seats, console, door panels, and working around the windshield might be more than I would want to tackle, especially in my limited work area. A couple of seats is one thing.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation Color Code

Sam, The Color Code on a XK8 is on the Driver Door Jam right by your left elbow when you get out of the Car!!! Not hard to find.....You can read it while you are still sitting down!
Sez:: Trim
NED

Billy Clyde

Old 02-16-2019, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

Ah Hah!!! No wonder. Those sneaky Brits. And here I thought it wold be somewhere like the VIN code. I will check it out after I finish my second cup of coffee.
Many thanks.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:38 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

As an earlier poster stated out interior leathers aren't dyed but are painted I ha great success with the kits available from these folks on both my '99 XK8 as well as my 2006 Triumph Speedmaster. On both I was NOT changing color but the process will be the same. https://www.leatherrenew.com/ They have extensive samples of the Jaguar color & codes and matched mine perfectly by code #. Since you'll be doing more than one seat I'd e-mail them with suggestions as to just how much you'll need and which application method suits your needs and ability. i.e. Brush or air brush application. In my experience with them they've been very helpful and the service has been both excellent and very reasonable.

First step was to give the surfaces to be painted to be thoroughly cleaned with lacquer thinner. Thorough is the operative word since all paint jobs are made or fail at the prep level. After a good cleaning of all the old oils, cleaners, leather conditioners, etc., and dead old paint give the surfaces a good sanding with the fine grit sand paper that comes in the kits.

You'll be lucky in this day and age if you can find a real furniture repair expert these days and since the toughest part of the job is removing the seats from the car you'll do as good or better a job as anyone you're likely to find. Once the seats are out give yourself 2-3 days to give them a good cleaning followed by a good sanding. Not an attempt to sand off the old pant but just to minimize and small scuffs, nicks, or other remaining impurities that might affect the new paint.

You'll find that the paint, after being lightly mixed with the supplied solvent that aids adhesion, doesn't require it to be applied as if you were plastering a wall. Dark going over light will almost guarantee a one coat job

Old 02-17-2019, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Ah Hah!!! No wonder. Those sneaky Brits. And here I thought it wold be somewhere like the VIN code. I will check it out after I finish my second cup of coffee.
Many thanks.
Thats us! Will pop in the Jag this afternoon and go upto the factory, around 30 mins away, and ask them to make allowances for American Eyesight. hmmm perhaps 1ft square stuck to the dash be ok?
Now I know why that annoying thing keeps popping up "Whats New" each time I log on/off. Never considered the American angle, makes sense now!

Hope you enjoyed your coffee.

Last edited by frankc; 02-17-2019 at 03:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bcprice36 (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

frankc…

Thanks for that! I'm afraid Sam will have to go farther than a second Cup of Coffee to find that little square "Sticker" by his Butt.....as I doubt he processes an XK8!....

BC

Old 02-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

You guys are sounding like my first wife referring to my butt. It has actually gotten smaller since I got the F-Type (had to wouldn't fit!!). And yes, I have been finding the need to up the strength on the 'cheaters, a bit lately, but I guess I will just forge on and find the code.that you sneaky Brits hid in plain sight on the door sill. Of course you insist on calling the roof a hood, a trunk a bonnet and the hood a bumbershoot or somesuch. Where is that second cup of coffee??????