XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone holder in front of nav screen?

Old 03-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default iPhone holder in front of nav screen?

While I like ccfulton's write up for the nav screen, I wonder if anyone has a simple suggestion/source for me to simply drop by iphone5c in front of the nav screen. Since I may put that screen to use, I don't want to damage it.

Over the weekend I pushed my iPhone into the wood frame and was feeling clever until it got stuck, right before I was exiting the car for a party, and I rashly ignored advice to leave it. I extricated the phone but now there are stress fractures on the left side of the nav frame and part of the veneer popped off. Sigh.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Well that's unfortunate. Sorry to hear about the veneer damage. Are you planning to try and repair it yourself?

For the iPhone mount over the nav screen, do you want to leave the screen in-place? I have seen one clever solution, though I can't recall where I saw it. Someone purchased a case, and used 3M command strips to attach the case to the nav screen. They would then just put their phone in that case each time they got in the car. Pretty simple.

However, I would think the 3M strips would damage the original screen which is a problem if you plan to use it again for something. Secondly, since the iphone is a different size (obviously) than the original screen, I think it just won't look very "finished" if you know what I mean. But I'm picky with stuff like that.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:28 PM

You would be surprised how well an iPhone5c fit into that space.

I'm reluctant to spend much on stuff that is not part of the fundamental mechanical operation of the car. Bushings, tires, pipes, power = yes.

There is a green wood kit that I am very tempted by although it would not work if I chose to go with black seats for my cashmere interior. Ok, I'm thinking of pretty stuff...

Old 03-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

I suppose what I meant by the fit is that, width wise it's narrower than the opening so you would still see the original screen behind.

Now, what you could do for pretty much $0 and just some of your time, is remove the nav unit from behind the dash and fabricate a metal "mounting bracket" of sorts in the opening, wrapped in black fabric. Put some black 3M command strips on the bracket and some on your case, and then just attach your phone every time you get in the car. Might not look too bad. And cheap.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
You would be surprised how well an iPhone5c fit into that space.

I'm reluctant to spend much on stuff that is not part of the fundamental mechanical operation of the car. Bushings, tires, pipes, power = yes.

There is a green wood kit that I am very tempted by although it would not work if I chose to go with black seats for my cashmere interior. Ok, I'm thinking of pretty stuff...
So, have you decided to do the black seats? I had a full black interior and did just the opposite. I went with oatmeal seats and console lid and also covered the door inserts with oatmeal suede. I can tell you the contrast is awesome!!
iPhone holder in front of nav screen?-image.jpg

Old 03-21-2014, 11:56 PM

Neat idea for the nav screen and iPhone. I like it.

Philhef, I'm very interested in having some contrast. I'm figuring out my options as someone else mentioned they may have the green wood kit to sell as well. I strongly inclined to leave my wood alone if I could arrange the leather seat covers. Cracked driver seat leather is just a bit too sub-par to live with.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Neat idea for the nav screen and iPhone. I like it.

Philhef, I'm very interested in having some contrast. I'm figuring out my options as someone else mentioned they may have the green wood kit to sell as well. I strongly inclined to leave my wood alone if I could arrange the leather seat covers. Cracked driver seat leather is just a bit too sub-par to live with.
I ordered the real leather covers from topsonline.com but truth be told, I could have saved about 3-400 going with the vinyl covers. I ordered extra vinyl for the future and frankly, it looks just about as good. You do get the center console lid cover with the set from him. I am selling my old covers that are in really good shape. I had the drivers side back bolster replaced with matching black vinyl. The set is 200.00. When I pick the up, I'll send a pic.
iPhone holder in front of nav screen?-image.jpg

Old 03-22-2014, 05:34 PM

Vinyl, hmmm. I am skeptical and wonder if I would regret doing that. Looking good, but does it feel good?

Vinyl seems like Pergo imitation wood floors, you end up haunted and having to justify to others. Got new vinyl for my Jag sounds, um, out of place. Not that my budget would not benefit...

Very interested in yours.

So how did you handle the inside door panels? I would want to do what you did. If the door panels have to come off, that would also allow me to get into the drive side door to solve a rattle I now hear when closing door from outside. Perhaps you and I need a new thread...

Last edited by weisberg; 03-22-2014 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
philhef (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Vinyl, hmmm. I am skeptical and wonder if I would regret doing that. Looking good, but does it feel good?

Vinyl seems like Pergo imitation wood floors, you end up haunted and having to justify to others. Got new vinyl for my Jag sounds, um, out of place. Not that my budget would not benefit...

Very interested in yours.

So how did you handle the inside door panels? I would want to do what you did. If the door panels have to come off, that would also allow me to get into the drive side door to solve a rattle I now hear when closing door from outside. Perhaps you and I need a new thread...
Where to begin! Your absolutely right about the vinyl. And I'll tell you, my car smells like new. The leather is really scenting the car and I LOVE it. I also had to ad 3/4" foam over entire front of seats to get a tight look and it basically made the seats feel like new. I didn't realize just how the old seats had lost their firmness. Yeah, bite the bullit and do leather. The labor is what bit me!! Didnt expect so much work with foam.
And the door panels are a snap to remove. There's a DIY from rev Sam on youtube. As for the inserts, they're plastic rivited from behind and once you pop them out, they don't go back in. The same. I actually used double sided badge tape to put back. The plastic tabs will pop back in to position and the tape will secure. Mine stay perfectly. As for your recovering them, honestly, I'd get the duplicolor flat black vinyl spray paint. Clean with. Alcohol and give 3 light coats to cover and you're done. Then pop them back in. I've painted a couple panels with it and it looks exactly like my factory black leather.
There's a cable for the door handle behind the door panel and that's what is clanging around in my door. I'm going back in and putting some foam behind it to stop that annoying rattle when the door is closed!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

For anyone looking for a decent solution to hold iphone/android to screen....
I found at BestBuy a radar detector mount.. $10, I used wide velcro on that and a cover i can put on my phone. The mount uses suction cups, and it just fits, the nice thing about it is that it has a adjustment for tilt, I have it slightly tilted toward the drivers side and the view is perfect.. anyone intreseted I'll post a pic

Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 PM
Smile

Picture! Yes, please.
Heeeyyyy. Fellow 2002 XKR owner as well. Sooo, no picture of the car in your signature?

Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Sure thing, here are two pics, one with it installed in the car with the rubber phone cover att, the other the holder itself. Very compact and fits just right. Note the 'legs' on the holder, they can be adjusted via a row of small holes on the back of the plate surface... this is the smallest lightest weight item I've found and with 2 suction cups holds steady when driving (the wires in pic1 are to the tape deck for audio, the holder makes a good place to wrap excess cord)

Attached Thumbnails iPhone holder in front of nav screen?-2014-03-26-12.21.11.jpg   iPhone holder in front of nav screen?-2014-03-26-12.22.13.jpg  

Last edited by jamdmyers; 03-26-2014 at 11:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
weisberg (05-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Why not pick up a tablet instead? For $100 you can have a dedicated, larger screen with more possibilities than the iPhone.