XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Jaguar Reliability

When I joined this brilliant forum 3 years ago, I read with horror some of the stories of the members cars. I expected doom and gloom from ownership and multiple problems. However I have now passed the 3 year ownership mark and to be completely honest I have had 3 years of awesome driving pleasure. The car has never let me down once. always started on the button. I have replaced tyres but it has never broken down. The car is completely reliable and has never thrown any codes either. This is the most reliable car I have ever owned for such an exotic beast. I know this is a members forum where people share problems so they can get advice and fixes but this is an opportunity to sing the virtues of this car. Great job Jaguar for such a lovely piece of engineering, such a lovely place to be when driving, and such a lovely ride and interior. It just glides along. I look forward to the next 3 years plus of motoring pleasure from the lovely beast. I live in England and everywhere I go this car stops people in their paces. How many cars on that budget can to that? Kudos to Jaguar and I am very proud owner and long may it continue

The following 5 users liked this post by millhouse_corfe:
Cee Jay (02-08-2015), MRomanik (02-09-2015), Norri (02-09-2015), sklimii (02-09-2015), StefanK1 (02-12-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Excellent!!

I have owned my 2006 for a little over 4 years and it too has been quite reliable. I have had some repair issues. I have done all the required maintenance. I have taken it on some long (2000+ miles) trips with no problem. All in all, quite amazing for a car I frankly expected more issues from. I look forward to many more years of excellent service.

Jack

Old 02-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

you guys have jinxed your cars now. ha ha ha

Old 02-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag

Yep. Probably.

The wheels will probably fall off this year.

Jack

Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I've owned a number of Jaguar, most of them the DOHC six cylinder cars. Many were daily drivers and usually quite reliable, including my 1955 XK140 and 1962 E Type.
My XK8 throws codes, especially related to the ABS/ASC, but a cleaning of the wheel sensors can fix that. The XK8 and most Jaguar since the 1990s have become quite complex, so as they age, we should expect more issues with them. But I still believe that a properly maintained Jaguar will provide its owner with reliable transportation in style.
As the OP noted, most postings on the forum relate to problems that the posters need to fix, but there are lots more owners who enjoy trouble-free motoring.
Kudos to Sir William and his crew!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Talking The mentality of some people....

There are those that respect their cars and rarely take it over 3500 RPM, keep the fluids topped up, use the recommended gas, and drive like a European Gentleman. Respecting the rules of the road, and minding Kitties nuances, making sure she's well taken care of.

Then you read about those on here that don't understand why when they go through a hard acceleration at 90 mph why the car gives them problems. Or the guy who wanted to know which muscle cars he could "take" from a dead stop. Or the guy who ran neck and neck with a camaro and finally passed him at 110 mph, or the guy who wondered why he couldn't get a decent burn-out from his Jag.

No matter how you look at it, respect the kitty and she will respect you, giving you years of pleasure. On the other hand, if you beat on the kitty and treat her like a vain extension of your genital region, then kitty will hammer your genitals, your sanity, wallet and bank account.

In summary, don't beat on Kitty, and Kitty won't beat on you....

Old 02-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

but I loved punishing the Kitty. ha ha ha

Old 02-09-2015, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

I have to say that my experience is different.

We bought a 3 owner car with a full Jag service history with 100,000 miles on the clock and have now clocked up a further 30,000 in the last 3 years.

While the car has never broken down and is now driving/handling better than ever, I would not class it as reliable, rather it is extremely high maintenance.

I went into this with my eyes open, buying a 100k mile car you have to expect problems, being handy and enjoying working on cars means this is no issue to me. However, if I had known now what I would have to do I would never have bought the car, it seems like it is just one maintenance issue after another. Thank God I can do the work myself otherwise this would have been close to £20,000 worth of work if done at a Jag dealer.

Compare this to my Audi A3 which I have owned from 40,000 miles to currently 125,000 miles, this has only had oil/filter/belt changes in this time, now I call that reliable.

Or even compare this to my 1979 450SL with 150,000 on the clock which just keeps running, admittedly there is not much technology in that to go wrong.

Anyway if it wasn't for the fact that it is one of the best looking cars ever built, it would have been booted long before now.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Now you've done it...
I agree, mine has been great so far. Any repairs were needed prior to my purchase. Going on 2nd year.
However, I've followed the advice of the boyz from this forum.
Replaced all timing chains and guides, water pump, thermostat housing, all just to be on the safe side.
As such and not having history for my cat, I deem them maintenance insurance.
By the way, the timing guides looked new. Rich

Old 02-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Compared to most other vehicles I've owned since I began driving in 1969, I do consider both of our Jaguars to be relatively high-maintenance vehicles. So many different well-known quirks and glitches to watch for and eventually deal with. Like most members here, I DIY everything I can thanks to this fantastic forum and for the most part, that keeps them relatively affordable. Without this forum and without DIY capability, I would not be willing to keep either of them in our stable. They would be far too costly to maintain and repair....

The following users liked this post:
SteveJacks (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
Nooooooooo!!!!! Oh dear, don't let my baby brake down...

Old 02-11-2015, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marvin.d.miller
There are those that respect their cars and rarely take it over 3500 RPM, keep the fluids topped up, use the recommended gas, and drive like a European Gentleman. Respecting the rules of the road, and minding Kitties nuances, making sure she's well taken care of.

Then you read about those on here that don't understand why when they go through a hard acceleration at 90 mph why the car gives them problems. Or the guy who wanted to know which muscle cars he could "take" from a dead stop. Or the guy who ran neck and neck with a camaro and finally passed him at 110 mph, or the guy who wondered why he couldn't get a decent burn-out from his Jag.

No matter how you look at it, respect the kitty and she will respect you, giving you years of pleasure. On the other hand, if you beat on the kitty and treat her like a vain extension of your genital region, then kitty will hammer your genitals, your sanity, wallet and bank account.

In summary, don't beat on Kitty, and Kitty won't beat on you....

But you DO have to open it all the way every now and then. Just to keep the fuel lines clean.and blablabla. ..

Old 02-11-2015, 07:51 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

True, but those who open it up daily an not asking, but BEGGING for trouble....