XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Mirror Melted!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My Mirror Melted!!

We had a super hot couple of days and the bottom line is something inside my interior rear view had a meltdown while parked for the day outside work. At this point the mirror is now somewhat fogged, which is a real pain, but the big part is melted plastic dripped down onto my console. The "bits" popped off the burl with my thumbnail and mostly did the same with the splatters that hit the leather (TG) but both the outer plastic bezel around the shift lever and the inner with the gear markings got melted with cr*p that bonded with them and are un-removable. The markings are history. So now I have to find replacement parts for both of them as well as the mirror.

Any sources guys? (Hopefully without breaking the bank)

Thanks;
Dave

Old 07-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Start with this helpful thread from the stickies at the top of the forum. You will find much useful info:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-17719/

Old 07-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Mirror does not like heat.

Also if you have a convertible the heat will cause the top lift hoses or connections to fail (green shower). My old XK8 got repainted and when they put it in the drier the mirror failed. With the windows up the cars can turn into ovens and a lot of things don't like that kind of heat for long periods. You may want to invest in a solar window fan or something else to vent the heat out of the cabin if you leave it sitting in the summer sun often.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

The Mirror failing is a common issue. Mine has failed also and is on the short list of things to do this winter. The fluid inside is very caustic (it's commonly referred to as "Dragon's Blood") and can cause major damage to leather and veneers. My shift knob looks like a well used candle. following the link bsprowls provided you can get yours repaired at a much lower cost then replacement. I've yet to hear of a rebuilt one failing so I will be sending mine off when the snow flies. I never liked how my shifter didn't match the dash so that's not a big deal to me but your damage sounds much worse.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:32 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I had my mirror repaired by these guys nearly two years ago.

Mirror Repair

The mirror was back in a week, and is still working perfectly. I was very happy with the work, the turnaround time, and how clean I got the mirror back.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The liquid from the mirror is caustic, so be careful cleaning it up.

Here is one option to repair your shifter: Jaguar XK8 XKR 5SPD Shifter Trim Plate Upgrade 97 98 99 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 | eBay

The outer bezels are also available in metal upgrades on ebay and from Adamensh and Mina.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the links white. I ordered the e-bay inner trim plate-I agree with the guys in the other thread about the plates that the factory one looks cheesy anyway!
I also, like them, wish the aluminum one attached without visible screws but you never get everything anyway! The outer trim from Mina is way too expensive for me. I'll likely sand down the few splatters on it and paint it back to black unless someone has a good condition one available for a reasonable cost. So far no joy on that front.

That is a good thread on mirror repair and I should have found it Brad. Thanks for the link. I spoke with the two mirror companies and when I asked one of them if they replaced the fluid with more fluid or used a sealed pack the answer seemed to be more fluid and an improved seal. I think I'll go with the gel pack system. I'd really like it if they could upgrade my mirror with a built in compass but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:54 AM

I just noticed these at carparts.com:

http://www.carparts.com/details/Univ.../C7336200.html

Has anyone upgraded to this and if so, any issues?
Possible substitute?
Like to have the compass!

Been taking care of other issues and finally getting close to replacing the blown seal unit.

Thanks