XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie vs. Electrical Tape

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie vs. Electrical Tape

Spent some time getting to know inherited '97 XK8 w/99k miles over the w/e.

First look under the hood revealed a broken hose (EGR related? see pic.) Dang thing was wrapped with electrician's tape that gave way. Air filter had what looks like oil stains and I replaced that and taped up the hose with thermal tape temporarily.

Don't know if related, but started it and got Engine Fault (and Stability Control Fail) msgs and both amber and red warning lights. The engine idled inconsistently with intermittent reving up to 2700rpm and then back down. Oil pressure was in the middle so let it run for 10min or so to see if it would mellow out after warming up - no luck. Given red warning light, didn't risk driving it, but will try to get it to dealer tomorrow and will post update.

I trust nobody on this forum uses electrician tape for a similar repair job - now you know why not!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink

electrical tape? Hell no, here in Canada all our hose repairs are done with Duct tape!

Old 12-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Geez, I hope inherited means free.

Good luck at the dealer, sounds like there's plenty of stuff wrong...and the service guys are going to have a field day.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 PM

Made it to dealer today - nice place. Somehow I got the feeling I will be helping pay for the free food, bevs and hd flat screens this month. Waiting for the damage report.

Alfred: Duct tape - isn't that how the Red Green boys teach it up there?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Unhappy Dealer Response

Ugh, report back from the dealer on the car is a variety of stuff - nothing catastrophic, but adds up to a lot of coin. (Suspension repair quote left out of this thread...)

Check engine/engine fault: Malfunction indicator lamp - Other code(s))/diagnosis found throttle body and transmission range sensor circuit/system failure. Without diagnosing further, possible internal electrical failure with-in throttle body assy. Recommending replacing throttle body. $$$$

Stability Ride Control Failure: Has multiple codes(pump motor circuit/system failure). Have to send out module assy for repairs. $$

Broken Hose: part load breather tube, and "PCV" line/hose assy bad. $

Other finds: Replace cracked accessory drive belt; Coolant leak - repair thermostat housing assy, hose heaters, and bleed hoses (coolant) $$$; 100k milage service (spark plugs, brake system flush...) $

I asked for them to do a blow-by test on the engine due to Nikasil concerns. Response was "nikasil linings would not be a concern/ pcv system operation is good at this time...."

Facing fairly big ticket adding this up - if interested, PM me and I'll be happy to share the estimate $ or other info. Interested in any reaction to this from experienced XK8 owners. Thanks.

Last edited by dbright; 12-08-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

You may be eligible for a throttle body. Seems they are honoring an old recall until the end of this year. A quick search of this forum should yield the details....

Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The throttle body Service Action S514 info is here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25334

If not already done you are due a reflash of the ECM or perhaps a replacement of the TB based on the VIN. Hurry, this deal is only good through the end of the year. A call to the dealer with the VIN will provide the status of that.

Considering the initial cost of the car there is nothing on the repair list that is a show stopper. Everything you mention has been discussed thoroughly on this forum. Even the ABS repair is probably a DIY issue. There is complete pictorials here on how to do it.

As soon as Captain Marvel . . . er . . . Kirk gets our FAQ list back up you will find links to all your issues.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Good point - I missed the ABS Module, and I am one of the hacks that repaired his own. I think the best DYI pictorial is linked to Gus' page (could be on Jag-Lovers.com actually).

The other option I considered before opening mine and resoldering the connections, which turned out to be pretty easy and this is not something I normally do, is look on Ebay for re-builts. You have to have your exact part number but they seem to go for under $200 for the part. You can get your part number off your module before taking it out. I had to take a pic with a digital camera and blow it up on a computer to read it, but my eyes are not what they used to be.

I know a new one from the dealer is over a grand, and even my independent shop wanted over $400 for the re-builts they had in stock. Most good independents won't mind if you source your own parts to save money. Downside is if the part fails they will not cover the labor to re-do as if you got the part from them.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:40 PM

OK - I have asked the dealer about the throttle body recall. Being a '97 low VIN - S514 is only showing as being eligible for the reprogram. Worth asking all the same...

Willing to get my hands dinged (cost of ownership, right?) and appreciate the help with the DIY referrals.