XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Pardon my ignorance, but what is JTIS21

 
  #1  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 90
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pardon my ignorance, but what is JTIS21

As a newbie, I have been looking for a reasonable shop manual. There are lots of writings here about installing JTIS21. Seems very complicated! Windows XP or Win7? Not a straight forward installation, for sure - and I am not totally ignorant when it comes to computers.

So I went on line and for $25 downloaded a couple of PDF manual from EManualsOnline The Shop Manual was 1920 pages and the Wiring Diagrams was 152 pages. Lots of good stuff!

What am I missing?? Why should I get and install the JTIS21 stuff?????
 
  #2  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Douglasville Ga.
Posts: 7,634
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,801 Posts
Default

I haven't seen the Emanual, but I suppose it contains all the info of JTIS 21. Is the download specific for the XK8?
 
  #3  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:54 AM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Summerville, South Carolina
Posts: 18,480
Received 2,894 Likes on 2,614 Posts
Default

While JTIS21 is nice to have even though it can be a bit of a pain to get working, the pdf Workshop manual, JEPC and wiring diagrams that are available for FREE download in the DIY sticky in the XK8/XKR section forum are just as useful

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

You can also get a ton of info from Gus's website http://www.jagrepair.com/
 

Last edited by sklimii; 06-14-2019 at 08:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnken (06-14-2019)
  #4  
Old 06-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 90
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RJ237 View Post
I haven't seen the Emanual, but I suppose it contains all the info of JTIS 21. Is the download specific for the XK8?
Yes, It is for the XK8 specific and also the R. The years I got was 2003 - 2006 that covers VIN A30645 - A48684.
The download has six files for the Wiring from 97 and forward.and then 2 files for the Shop manual. Lots of pages and high quality and printable..
 
  #5  
Old 06-14-2019, 09:07 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 90
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sklimii View Post
While JTIS21 is nice to have even though it can be a bit of a pain to get working, the pdf Workshop manual, JEPC and wiring diagrams that are available for FREE download in the DIY sticky in the XK8/XKR section forum are just as useful

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

You can also get a ton of info from Gus's website http://www.jagrepair.com/
The Forum and all the links are an awesome source of information that I always use. However, it is also nice to have a PDF source on your Tablet that is always with you on the road or in the garage. There are times when the internet is beyond our reach.
 
  #6  
Old 06-14-2019, 09:16 AM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Summerville, South Carolina
Posts: 18,480
Received 2,894 Likes on 2,614 Posts
Default

those are available as pdf downloads from the DIY section.

---------------------------------------------------------
Parts List and Diagrams for 1997-2005, Pages 1-10 (in pdf)
Parts List and Diagrams for 1997-2005, Pages 11-23 (in pdf)
---------------------------------------------------------

More Parts Files (kindly supplied by hlgeorge)
XK8 Parts, locations and identification fiches. (in pdf format)

XK8 Parts, File 1
Engine
Engine Management/Emission Systems
Air and Fuel Delivery Systems
Engine Cooling Systems
Exhaust System and Components
Transmission and Driveline
Steering and Suspension
Braking System
Air con/Heating/Ventilation
Wiper and Washer Systems

XK8 Parts, File 2
Electrical Distribution System
Information Systems and Controls
Battery/Starter Motor/Alternator
In Car Entertainment
Lighting- Exterior/Interior
Locking/Security Systems/Horns
Seating
Occupant Restraints
Interior Trim and Linings

XK8 Parts, File 3
Exterior Fittings and Sunroof
Body Closures and Sealing
Body Metal Panels and Sealing
Accessories/Consumables/Index
---------------------------------------------------------


WORKSHOP MANUALS - PDF Format
Three Workshop Manuals are available in PDF format (thanks to jonscot):

1. First Edition - 1997
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kuq3r0...ed_in_1997.pdf
The 'First edition' is a scan of the original paper Workshop Manual in the same style and layout as for earlier models (XJ40 / X300).

2. Second Edition - 1999
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ldfaed...ed_in_1999.pdf
The 'Second Edition' is created as a PDF with the ability to navigate from the index. It is for the 4.0 litre models

3. Third Edition - 2003
http://www.mediafire.com/view/0iiiuu...ed_in_2003.pdf
The 'Third edition' is also a fully navigable PDF for the 4.2 litre models.
 
  #7  
Old 06-14-2019, 09:19 AM
GGG's Avatar
GGG
GGG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Durham, UK
Posts: 109,160
Received 10,344 Likes on 8,500 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nalle View Post
..... it is also nice to have a PDF source on your Tablet that is always with you on the road or in the garage. There are times when the internet is beyond our reach.
For such blessed and increasingly rarer periods of isolation from the OnLine World, I have JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information System) and JEPC (Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalogue) on my laptop together with Jaguar SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnostics).

To become totally self-sufficient, I'm hoping to add a Pluvial Panel for battery recharging as a Solar Panel is useless in England.

Graham
 
The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
JagNoir (06-15-2019), Johnken (06-14-2019), motorcarman (06-14-2019)
  #8  
Old 06-14-2019, 10:11 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 90
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GGG View Post
For such blessed and increasingly rarer periods of isolation from the OnLine World, I have JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information System) and JEPC (Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalogue) on my laptop together with Jaguar SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnostics).

To become totally self-sufficient, I'm hoping to add a Pluvial Panel for battery recharging as a Solar Panel is useless in England.

Graham
Please enlighten me! What is the SDD??
 
  #9  
Old 06-14-2019, 01:06 PM
GGG's Avatar
GGG
GGG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Durham, UK
Posts: 109,160
Received 10,344 Likes on 8,500 Posts
Default

SDD = Symptom Driven Diagnostics. It's the JLR dealer diagnostics system for Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles. A laptop installation using a Drew Technologies "Mongoose" cable to connect to the vehicle data port.

Plenty of information and discussion in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...d-truth-32683/

Graham
 
  #10  
Old 06-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 90
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GGG View Post
SDD = Symptom Driven Diagnostics. It's the JLR dealer diagnostics system for Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles. A laptop installation using a Drew Technologies "Mongoose" cable to connect to the vehicle data port.

Plenty of information and discussion in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...d-truth-32683/

Graham
Now we are getting somewhere! So, I also read a lot about a Chinese copy of the Mongoose Cable and Software. Is there any info on how well/if it works, or is the only option to sell the farm??
 
  #11  
Old 06-15-2019, 06:49 AM
GGG's Avatar
GGG
GGG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Durham, UK
Posts: 109,160
Received 10,344 Likes on 8,500 Posts
Default

The Chinese copies are OK for troubleshooting and code reading BUT I would NEVER risk programming modules with one. Some members have got away with it but there's a few reports of "bricking" the vehicle which is definitely a "sell the farm" situation.

Graham
 
  #12  
Old 06-15-2019, 07:35 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 90
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The Chinese copies are OK for troubleshooting and code reading BUT I would NEVER risk programming modules with one. Some members have got away with it but there's a few reports of "bricking" the vehicle which is definitely a "sell the farm" situation.

Graham
Graham,
Thanks for all your info. Much appreciated. I realize now that my $25:- download is the same as the Mediafire third edition down load. Live and learn.

Also re. your Pluvial Panels..... With our 360 days of Arizona sunshine, my 4.5kW of solar panel provide 100% of my needs. But, maybe more important, no rust on the Jag.
 
The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (06-15-2019)
  #13  
Old 06-16-2019, 05:29 PM
GGG's Avatar
GGG
GGG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Durham, UK
Posts: 109,160
Received 10,344 Likes on 8,500 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nalle View Post
..... re. your Pluvial Panels..... With our 360 days of Arizona sunshine, my 4.5kW of solar panel provide 100% of my needs. But, maybe more important, no rust on the Jag.
How ever do you cope on the other five days?

Graham
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Canard
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
36
07-09-2014 12:28 AM
frankc
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
11
01-09-2014 03:25 PM
SeismicGuy
E type ( XK-E )
0
11-15-2013 12:03 AM
mphy98
X-Type ( X400 )
10
01-20-2011 09:13 AM
Dennis
Off Topic
9
08-29-2008 07:26 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pardon my ignorance, but what is JTIS21


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: