XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Musings After My First XK8 Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Random Musings After My First XK8 Trip

As I have only had the car about a month and part of that time it wasn't legal until I got a few things fixed on it to pass VA Safety Inspection. So until today I've only put about 70 miles on it all at low speed around town. I am also worried about chewing up my new used tires with the rear camber being off.

But today I had my monthly Doc appointment in Colonial Ht's so I put about 320 miles on it there and back and also visited a friend out that way. I put some injector cleaner in the tank before I left. The car didn't miss a beat and ran just purr-fectley. All but about 30 miles was freeway driving (I-85 and RT-58). I drove "normally" there and used the cruise control as much as possible on the way back. While visiting my friend we drove it rather aggressively for a few miles. He is on the fence about getting one of these and I think he just fell off onto the "get one soon" side. The average MPG via the computer for the entire trip was 25.3 MPG. Is that about right for these? I have no idea how old the plugs are and was going to replace them when I take the covers off to check and/or replace the tensioners. But maybe it doesn't need plugs just yet. After the trip it now idles MUCH better than before and is so smooth you can hardly tell its running at 600-700 rpm.
Other musings:
Even though the right front castor is -1.54 there is virtually no pull to the right at 80 mph on I-85.
Parts of I-85 have very nasty pavement patches that when hit at speed rattle your kidneys quite a bit. No rattles from the car but the suspension seems so stiff it transmits the shock straight on through. Good thing for rest stops. Handles beautifully.
While using the cruise control on Route 58 which is very hilly it did an excellent job of maintaining speed up and down hills. One weird thing - whenever you hit a bump on the road with the CC on the engine rev's up a bit as if its momentarily confused by the bump. Not enough to be dangerous just a little startling.
And of course even though I parked it all by itself at the Docs office someone with a raised SUV parked next to it and put a nickel size door ding center of the drivers door just above the trim. Should have parked the damn thing sideways across the spots.
I checked the spot when I pulled out to see if there were any leaks after that long drive and was bone dry under the car.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Dave,
It sounds like a good run. I see you, too, have owned a number of Jags. I always hear how unreliable my car must be when I'm asked what kind of car I have and answer Jaguar. I've had many of mine as primary driven cars and have always been religious about maintaining them. Very few problems as a result.
Glad your XK8 is doing well. Too bad about the ding!

Old 08-19-2014, 04:36 PM

When I got my '58 XK150 I got tired of the random electrics and spent a week end cutting out every one of the "Bullet" connectors (The bakelite encased metal tubes used to connect all the wires) and replaced them with weather proofed male/female spades and never had an electrical problem again. Replaced the crappy original phenolic ball joints with improved replacements and then drove it 50 miles daily to work and back in Phoenix summer heat for several years and never once had a serious issue with it. Still ran perfect when I sold it, which I still regret doing.

Dave

Old 08-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Dave, good to hear about the ride...unclench yer bunners now ..............

I get so MANY compliments on my xk8, and so few on my xk. Guess which one I drive more often.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Dave, you must be happy with no leaks and CC working. Hope all will get even better., but you did have to come back to Danville.
I went shopping with the madam this morning and I'm in serious trouble, she saw a XK RS Coupe go by and we got beside him at the next light, she's in love. He smiled and was gone.

Wayne

Old 08-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Nice one Dave, thanks for sharing the positives.

Shame about the ding though

Old 08-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

the reving is most likely from the rear tires losing traction momentarily. as for the ride being stiff look at the upper shock mount bushings if they appear to be crumbling they need to be replaced and more than likely the shocks also. mine were shot and it felt on a patched road like you were driving on rr ties. every little bump was transmitted thru the whole body.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:39 PM

The front upper mounts look new, perfectly centered, not crumbly at all and the shock mount stud and nut looks new and shiny. No rattles or squeaks over bumps and ride height at all 4 wheels is at or close to 15.75". I don't think there is anything wrong with the suspension, probably the lack of padding in the seats more than anything.

Dave

Old 08-20-2014, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I've just had my 02xkr in for wheel balance and alignment check at a local place. Balancing the tires made a huge diff on vibration. Toe all around was fine, camber was off on 3 (both rears) and he showed me how they set it, they put the shims on the driveshaft coupling, not a easy thing to do. They don't have shim kits and I was ok with where it's at, really doesn't affect drive as I can tell. I've got about another year and need to redo rims (flaking on double fives) and tires will be ready, they were orig from my purchase a year a go, at that time I'll take it to a dealer and get everything within spec. Glad you enjoyed your ride may you have many more