Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace all 4 struts & bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 11:56 AM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Smile replace all 4 struts & bushings

'99 XK8 Convertible, not super charged, 90,000 mi, 4.0 stock
Hi everyone; I hope you are enjoying the summer with your cars.
I am going to replace the four struts, bushings and anything else on the suspension system while I have it apart. Don't want to miss something. So I'm asking for some help in the strut area. I would like to use a completely assembled unit in the rear which has coil overs. Take the whole unit out, put new in. Have any of you had good luck with any particular brand. Reasonably priced but decent quality? The same goes for the front. It doesn't have coil overs. Was there any particular parts supplier that you found reliable? Also if there any tips you can pass along I would greatly appreciate it.
I followed the video to do the timing chains and fluid in the rear end and the car runs super. Trans was done by long time trans mechanic.
Thanks in advance for your help
Mitch

Old 07-14-2019, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

I'm sure everyone would recommend the front upper shock mounts should be replaced. The ones from Welsh are highly though of. You can get Bilstein shocks from Rock Auto for a good price. I did my rears (shocks) about a year ago, and have the fronts sitting in the garage, along with the upper wishbone bushes, upper shock mounts (Welsh), and the sway bar down links. I had the same idea about replacing the whole assembly, but it didn't seem practical, plus the fact that I couldn't find front springs for my car - but yours do seem available. Check this thread -
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...prings-219430/

I'm sure there are many more threads and videos on the subject, if you want to search the archives. Best of luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by JimmyL:
piper 888 (07-18-2019), rsdmitch7 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:02 AM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Jim; Thanks very much for responding and the info. Your '06 is probably different from the '99 I have. I've driven a '03 which is more like yours 4.2 engine, beefier suspension etc. It felt like a whole different ride. Much tighter, smoother more comfortable and better handling. Fortunately I have a mechanic in the area that's a long time Jag guy and very competent. My problem with the rear is I rotated the tires and found they had worn on the inside. This made me suspect that the suspension might be starting to fail just due to age. 20 yrs 90,000 mi. The struts are not leaking but they may have lost some of their strength. I will have the car gone over before I make a move. Knowing what products people have had success with was my main idea for asking.
Again thank you
Mitch

Old 07-15-2019, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts

Mitch,

Just did the front end suspension refresh by following Rev Sam's YouTube tutorial, and did the rears last year. Went will keeping original parts as PO had cleaned & painted the springs and the shock dampers were relatively new. Just went with more modern poly material for bushes etc. from a UK supplier, C and R Enterprises (email jrcre@globalnet.co.uk), who was willing to UPS them here to me in Bahrain. Relatively straight forward job. One thing I noticed that I should have done as I was "in there", but didn't, was replace the sway bar linkage. Cheap and easy, but someone recently said, in this forum, some suppliers are sending out wrong length linkage parts. Check link below.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-links-220287/

Not sure of your budget, but it's up to you whether the costs/availability is worthwhile for entire new replacement coil over spring & dampers units. Also replacement units have the risk of ill fitment, so bare that in mind, when swapping out. Sometimes it's safer to repair what you have, as you know they fit.

BTW there are even replacement kits available for repairing the old crumbly upper strut mounts.

Good luck with whatever you decide and share your experiences with your chosen suppliers - with whatever you chose to do.