Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sub zero temperatures and frozen window seals

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts
Default Sub zero temperatures and frozen window seals

Car stood out overnight last night and the temperature dropped to minus 12 deg C (11 deg F).

Opened the driver's door this morning to start the car and the window dropped but not as far as normal. The door waist seal had frozen to the glass and was preventing the glass from dropping the usual distance. As the glass dropped it had also partly pulled the rubber out of the waist seal channel.

Sprayed the bottom of the passenger door glass with de-icer and left it for a couple of minutes before trying to open it. It opened with no problems. Repeated on the driver's door and by dropping the glass right down, I was then able to push the sealing rubber back into the waist seal channel.

I'll be adding door seals to the front screen, rear screen and wiper blade de-icing routine in future.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Man, I heard Europe was having a cold spell but burrr, 11F is COLD.

Mark

Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

We've essentially had no winter in our neck of the woods. Only a handful of nights with lows in the mid-20s. Nothing below 25 as I recall. The weather forecasters are calling for lows in the low 20s this weekend. I want to see how our XK8's rear tires (Pirelli P-Zero Rosso summer-rated with about 5/32 tread remaining) adapt to cold weather. I"m not expecting them to like anything below 32 degrees very much....

Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

3G;

Get out your Hawaiian Shirt that is tropical compared to the -15-20C we have been having.

Good idea about the window seals....the ISMW just pulled the door seal off of a friends Land Rover the other day when she was told to just pull it open by the driver.

There is some stuff I just bought that is supposed to stop snow sticking to the windows when you spray it on the windows.....would that be useful for you?

cheers,

jj

Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by jamjax
3G;

Get out your Hawaiian Shirt that is tropical compared to the -15-20C we have been having.

Good idea about the window seals....the ISMW just pulled the door seal off of a friends Land Rover the other day when she was told to just pull it open by the driver.

There is some stuff I just bought that is supposed to stop snow sticking to the windows when you spray it on the windows.....would that be useful for you?

cheers,

jj
jj,

We've had no snow since a small fall last weekend. It was a heavy frost last night. I don't think a snow repellant would help...?

Apart from the waist seal problem, it caused havoc with the wheel sensors until I'd done a few miles. Both DSC and ABS warnings on until heat from the brakes got things warmed up properly.

Graham

Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Last year we had some days get down to -25 F (-32 C)! This year has been great, barely below 0 F and little snow. I can handle this sort of winter.

Try some silicone on the door seals, both to keep them flexible and to reduce freezing. Don't spray right on the seal though as the accelerant in the spray can dry out the seals, doing the opposite as you want. Spray on a rag and wipe on.

About summer tires in the cold, As long as there isn't snow, my Riken's don't mind the cold too much. I've driven in weather down to about 10 F without any drama. When the roads are slick or salty, the Jag stays inside though.

Last edited by K.Westra; 02-08-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Well come on down...

I am getting tired of piloting the boat,,, rigging the bait,,, running the cockpit,,, setting the hook,,, reeling them in... cleaning the catch,,, and washing the boat down...

Don't have autopilot and the Bungee cord is not really that great if the fish turn...LOL

Jupiter Inlet District

Old 02-08-2012, 09:50 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Last year we had some days get down to -25 F (-32 C)! This year has been great, barely below 0 F and little snow. I can handle this sort of winter.

Try some silicone on the door seals, both to keep them flexible and to reduce freezing. Don't spray right on the seal though as the accelerant in the spray can dry out the seals, doing the opposite as you want. Spray on a rag and wipe on.

About summer tires in the cold, As long as there isn't snow, my Riken's don't mind the cold too much. I've driven in weather down to about 10 F without any drama. When the roads are slick or salty, the Jag stays inside though.
Keith,

-25 F (-32 C): that's Pipestone off my potential holiday destinations!

Thanks for the tip about silicone spray. The door seals look as if they could easily tear if they freeze up.

Graham

Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Graham Our Xks don't appreciate this cold weather.Since putting her back in the cage I havn't ventured out I have used my electric bike instead!

Till I get some different tyres icy roads and the jag are a no go for me.

I would think we need to be careful when opening the doors when the windows are frozen that the electric motors don't get overloaded.The silicone spray sounds a good idea.

Keep safe Al.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by K.Westra
...................Try some silicone on the door seals, both to keep them flexible and to reduce freezing. Don't spray right on the seal though as the accelerant in the spray can dry out the seals, doing the opposite as you want. Spray on a rag and wipe on.......................
Keith,

Another very cold night last night with a heavy frost this morning. The silicone treatment worked brilliantly on both the doors and the boot seals.

Thanks,
Graham

Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Keith,

Another very cold night last night with a heavy frost this morning. The silicone treatment worked brilliantly on both the doors and the boot seals.

Thanks,
Graham
I'm glad it worked for you Graham.