XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my window problem - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 02:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Update on my window problem - RESOLVED

An update on my window problem. Trying the window reset procedure, checking the charge on the battery and disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, did not solve the problem. As time went on and I eliminated some possible causes I became fairly confident that the issue was that something was causing the window to bind on the way up. A friend offered to help me to get the passenger door panel off and have a look inside. We were finally able to do that yesterday. We located the star bolt located on the window glass operating mechanism. While removing the window from the operating mechanism we had some trouble with the plastic slides and circlips which the window to the arms of the 'scissors'. They have to be replaced but we were able to find and source them easily on eBay. We were able to get the window operating mechanism and regulator motor out fairly easily and get a look at them. There was no damage to the teeth or, as far as we could see, to the drive on the motor. There are 2 bolts in the passenger door. The one that I've already
mentioned, which looked as if it had shifted, and one closer to the outer edge in a vertical slot - marked by the arrow in the attached photo. This second bolt moved each time we raised the window. So we think that one of bolts came loose and slipped, causing either the other bolt to move and/or the window to move out of alignment. We'll only be able to test this when we get the parts in a couple of weeks so if anyone has any ideas or additional advice I'd be most grateful for it. Assuming we have the right problem, advice on resetting/realigning the window would also be appreciated.

Last edited by GGG; 10-05-2018 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Add "RESOLVED" to thread title
The following users liked this post:
GooseTx (06-20-2019)
Old 08-30-2018, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

This might be useful if you don't already have it.

window adjustments.pdf

The following 3 users liked this post by rothwell:
AleXKR (09-01-2018), Jim Stewart7 (08-30-2018), Ronald Vennell (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 04:58 PM

Rothwell,

Many thanks. My copy of the Workshop manual is 1999 so this is a little more up to date.

Jim

Old 08-31-2018, 09:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Jim,

I'm not having a go at you in particular as this is widespread. I could simply have merged the threads but an explanation of the best way to post about a topic may help get the message to a wider audience.

When you start a thread on an issue, please continue in that same thread instead of starting another. Here's the link to your original:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rtible-206327/

Anyone doing a search for the same issue and seeing the original thread will be left wondering what happened. If you had continued in the original thread there would have been a logical sequence from issue through investigation and repairs to resolution. The thread would automatically have come to the top of the threads browse with each new post.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 06-17-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Jim Stewart7 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 11:06 AM

Graham,

You make an excellent point. If you'd be good enough to tell me how to merge the treads I'll do that. I'll also make sure I continue the original thread in future.

Many thanks,

Jim

Old 08-31-2018, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Graham, that's a great photo of what and where that adjustment bolt is located.

it's kind of hard to describe that exact bolt and it's position under the door card.

this comes up often enough, is there any good way to tag it or somehow save it for easy reference?

this might come up in searches for cocked window,, cockeyed window, tilted window, window binding.

John

Old 10-04-2018, 09:25 PM

I'm delighted to report that, as of this morning, we've fixed the window problem in my XK8. This was only possible because of the kind and generous assistance of a friend called Ken Hedges who spent a total of something like 10 hours working on this - with me providing limited assistance. We determined that the problem was caused by the bolt - highlighted by the green arrow in the picture above - slipping which caused the window to 'lean' forward and jam. We have no idea what caused it to slip and we could have saved ourselves hours of time and labour if we've figured it out earlier. But thanks to all here for your input.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jim Stewart7:
cjd777 (06-11-2019), DavidYau (06-12-2019), GGG (10-05-2018), rothwell (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Jim, thanks for the closure and congrats. This is a common issue, bet your posts help many down the road.

John

Jim Stewart7 (10-05-2018)
Old 06-11-2019, 03:46 PM
Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Door window binding on the way up - RESOLVED!

THANK YOU!!!! I greatly appreciate the information provided in this post. It was spot on with respect to my problem, which started last week when I tried to put the driver side window up, and it jammed (bound) about half-way up. The motor would struggle and cut-out at that point. I took the door panel off and could see that the window mechanism was pressing in towards the car interior when the binding was occurring, suggesting that something was out of alignment. I checked the plastic glides and other components that were visible, and everything looked OK. I reviewed YouTube videos on in/out adjustments and top limit adjustments, but none of these related to my problem because the window wasn't working in the full range of motion.

Upon seeing this post and the great photo identifying the adjustment bolt, I inspected the bolt on my car and saw that the bolt was all the way at the top of the slot and paint beneath had been scraped off, suggesting that the bolt had moved. I loosened it, moved it back to the middle position of the slot, and the window now works perfectly! Thanks for this post...without it, no telling how much longer I'd have taken to find the solution. Just wish the post title was more descriptive re. what problem the post solves. That would help others save time identifying the useful info. you've provided in the post.

The following 2 users liked this post by OnFire:
DavidYau (06-12-2019), Jim Stewart7 (06-11-2019)