XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy a new KB Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Where to buy a new KB Supercharger

Does anyone know where to buy new supercharger? I hear the ken bell is good, are there any others or what configurations ill need? Just got beat by a Z4 and I don't like it. Does anyone know the cost or cost of Labor? I'm sure you wouldn't know until you get an estimate from the shop, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know . I'm looking to put it in my budget lol

2002 XKR

Old 03-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts
Old 03-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Other options and discussion (no kit though)
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...er-kit-175330/

Old 03-12-2017, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by K.Westra
On his post he states he's no longer selling them. Thanks for the info, this is a good read

Old 03-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Are you really in the mood for an all out modification cycle? If not, you might want to check all the basics. I would start with a COMPLETE maintenance cycle, and go from there. Actual numbers would not hurt either.

Check the fuel pumps. There are 2 of them. From what I understand, both can come on under high boost. Failed second pumps are apparently pretty common. Check the electrical guide, hunt for relays to control each pump. My understanding is that when the primary pump fails (your is not, but you could simulate it with pulling the relay), you need to attempt to start the car a few times, and the car's electronics will switch to the secondary pump automatically. If that fails, then you have a hint that the secondary pump has failed.

Also, check the inter-cooler water pump by the air box. It apparently turns on when the key is in accessory mode, even without starting the engine. If that pump is dead (not uncommon), you have heat soak, and loss of power. Check the cooling fluid for gelling as well as the oil.

In parallel to all of this, it does not hurt to get some numbers through the diagnostics port. Air intake temp, manifold pressure, fuel trims, etc.

Another apparently common practice is to try and spin the charger faster by changing the pulleys. Altogether way cheaper than something new. Also, if you have reasons to believe your charger is worn, you can always have it rebuilt. My understanding is that the clearance between the rotors and the housing can be reduced with a rebuild, and restore proper efficiency.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Are you really in the mood for an all out modification cycle? If not, you might want to check all the basics. I would start with a COMPLETE maintenance cycle, and go from there. Actual numbers would not hurt either.

Check the fuel pumps. There are 2 of them. From what I understand, both can come on under high boost. Failed second pumps are apparently pretty common. Check the electrical guide, hunt for relays to control each pump. My understanding is that when the primary pump fails (your is not, but you could simulate it with pulling the relay), you need to attempt to start the car a few times, and the car's electronics will switch to the secondary pump automatically. If that fails, then you have a hint that the secondary pump has failed.

Also, check the inter-cooler water pump by the air box. It apparently turns on when the key is in accessory mode, even without starting the engine. If that pump is dead (not uncommon), you have heat soak, and loss of power. Check the cooling fluid for gelling as well as the oil.

In parallel to all of this, it does not hurt to get some numbers through the diagnostics port. Air intake temp, manifold pressure, fuel trims, etc.

Another apparently common practice is to try and spin the charger faster by changing the pulleys. Altogether way cheaper than something new. Also, if you have reasons to believe your charger is worn, you can always have it rebuilt. My understanding is that the clearance between the rotors and the housing can be reduced with a rebuild, and restore proper efficiency.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
My pumps are good, I was looking into pulleys as well. I may go for pulley changes, cooling system change, performance exhaust, cats, and intake. Should bumpmbump me up a bit. From my understanding, these cars can't be tuned because of the ecu?

Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by lossking_
From my understanding, these cars can't be tuned because of the ecu?
As far as I know, these ECUs cannot be updated outside of what Jaguar has provided over the years. I assume it is because nobody has found it worthwhile to reverse-engineer the unit enough to allow for updated fuel tables, or bigger injectors. The other reality is that, up to a point, the existing system should adapt to whatever performance modifications you bolt on (like pulleys). There is an air flow meter, intake air temp, and intake manifold pressure sensors. If you "push" the blower, it will draw more air in, and it will be measured. If you enhance the intercooler, the cooler air temp will be measured. Based on these parameters, the fuel injector duty cycle should be adapted. Obviously, pushing more fresh air in will work up to the point where you cannot keep up with fuel (injectors maxing out). Separately, there is nothing in this effort to adapt the timing, besides stock knock sensors.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Avos has already proven that you can reliably increase boost and performance with other mods like injectors and tune. the stock ecu and injectors are capable enough in stock setting to handle 20%+ increases in boost and performance. injectors you can see where you're at on their duty cycle at max boost and rpm. up to 80%(10% on, 10%off) then there are other solutions around this too. the upper and lower pulleys are a good upgrade. or as I refer to as a good start

Old 03-13-2017, 02:45 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Obligatory LS1 swap post!

<ducks>

Old 03-13-2017, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
Obligatory LS1 swap post!

<ducks>
I would be hated in the jag community lol

Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Avos has already proven that you can reliably increase boost and performance with other mods like injectors and tune. the stock ecu and injectors are capable enough in stock setting to handle 20%+ increases in boost and performance. injectors you can see where you're at on their duty cycle at max boost and rpm. up to 80%(10% on, 10%off) then there are other solutions around this too. the upper and lower pulleys are a good upgrade. or as I refer to as a good start

I was talking with a guy from paramount performance about their upper pulley. I may go for it in about a week or two

Old 03-13-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
As far as I know, these ECUs cannot be updated outside of what Jaguar has provided over the years. I assume it is because nobody has found it worthwhile to reverse-engineer the unit enough to allow for updated fuel tables, or bigger injectors. The other reality is that, up to a point, the existing system should adapt to whatever performance modifications you bolt on (like pulleys). There is an air flow meter, intake air temp, and intake manifold pressure sensors. If you "push" the blower, it will draw more air in, and it will be measured. If you enhance the intercooler, the cooler air temp will be measured. Based on these parameters, the fuel injector duty cycle should be adapted. Obviously, pushing more fresh air in will work up to the point where you cannot keep up with fuel (injectors maxing out). Separately, there is nothing in this effort to adapt the timing, besides stock knock sensors.
That makes sense. I appreciate the insight!