XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 exhaust without center muffler

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whitehat,
I understand, but my plan is to just remove the center muffler and install X pipe. My question is does it make a difference how far from the cats the Xpipe is? Is it better to be close to the cats or closer to the forward resonators?

Old 10-22-2018, 05:46 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tvroom
Whitehat,
I understand, but my plan is to just remove the center muffler and install X pipe. My question is does it make a difference how far from the cats the Xpipe is? Is it better to be close to the cats or closer to the forward resonators?
the answer would probably be closer to hair splitting engineering wise and more a function of packaging and installation realities. the best people to answer this question would come from a performance exhaust provider with a proven track record. the other part of the answer would be if the performance gains would not be noticeable or worth the effort and expense and with what trade-offs.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:45 PM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

If I remember correctly there's some technique with drawing a line on your center muffler in crayon and seeing what point the wax melts first, then putting the X-pipe at that spot. May not make a big difference though with factory manifolds and cats.

I just recorded what my exhaust sounds like with a center muffler delete and a rear resonator delete. It drones between 1600-2200 RPM, but that's no surprise; putting the stock rear resonators back will remove the drone, but also gets rid of a lot of the deeper rumble at idle.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Loss of power

Originally Posted by robrtx
Has anyone observed any noticeable performance changes from the X or H pipe modification (actual power incr/decr aside from change in sound)?
i had already removed rear resonators and just got the x-pipe installed today. Defiantly a loss of power any suggestions on a fix?

Old 12-06-2018, 09:57 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow, this thread is exhausting to read! Not much impressed with the outcome of the various mods, I am therefore content to leave mine stock. But then I'm not a big fan of V8 sounds. Much prefer that of V12s and L6s. My old XK-150 sounded wonderful. I do appreciate reading what all the different owners went through to try to achieve desired sounds and took the trouble to share their results. The most interesting and surprising part was the relationship between exhaust mods and chassis flex. What a great forum!

Granville

The following users liked this post:
littlefatfriend (07-06-2023)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Have faith guys. The previous owner of my car had a custom SS exhaust built from the manifold back. It includes center resonators and rear mufflers, but sounds wonderful. As far as performance goes, I don't know how a stock R performs, but I do notice a "Red-Shift" in the cars around me when I stomp on her! In contrast to those folks who want to just delete mufflers and resonators, I think the biggest improvements to the OEM set-up are the Free Flow Cats, MagnaFlow mufflers, wider pipes (2 1/2") and routing them "under" the rear suspension (to avoid that drastic pinch over the top). Ground clearance suffers of course, but despite that, the only times I've dragged the pipes have been when backing out of a steeply angled driveway. I'm not sure if they included an X or H pipe cross-over or if some balancing might take place inside a center resonator - I'll have to check that out the next time I have her on a lift. So I guess the bottom line is: If a knowledgeable outfit does the mod, it "can" work.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:44 AM

Scarsini1 thanks for the input. I’ll look in to possibly adding a set of good mufflers to the rear in place of the rear resonators taken off. I believe it’s starting to run a little quicker off the start the more I drive. I read somewhere the computer may take a bit to recalibrate to changes made. I’ll keep you guys posted.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:10 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Another solution with cut out.
But more interesting is that the solution is not a mufflers free system but fitting some on the right way

https://youtu.be/jTYlIvkPzZ4

Old 12-08-2018, 09:32 AM

JeJe, thanks for the video wow that sounds mean. 👍 I have to post a video of how mine sounds now. Very deep Growl now.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, so I've read through this thread and now reviving it again!!!! Plus trying to figure out the best course to take. Why has everyone deleted the middle muffler instead of taking off the 2 rear ones? I've got a 2000 XKR and thinking about taking the rear mufflers off and just going straight pipe to some new tips. I'm just wondering which I would get a better sound with. I want it louder when I put my foot into it but I don't want it so loud that my wife has a fit. Thanks for your help!!!

Old 07-18-2019, 11:21 PM
Default Exhaust work

Originally Posted by IowaXKR
Okay, so I've read through this thread and now reviving it again!!!! Plus trying to figure out the best course to take. Why has everyone deleted the middle muffler instead of taking off the 2 rear ones? I've got a 2000 XKR and thinking about taking the rear mufflers off and just going straight pipe to some new tips. I'm just wondering which I would get a better sound with. I want it louder when I put my foot into it but I don't want it so loud that my wife has a fit. Thanks for your help!!!
i have a 2006 XK8 and I took off the rear mufflers and replaced the middle muffler with an x-pipe and the sound is amazing. Couple that with an upgraded air intake from Mina Gallery it offered some more power as well.

IowaXKR (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 05:07 AM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Perhaps this helps

Originally Posted by IowaXKR
a few yard back I did a write up on exhaust modification to my 2005 XKR (miss that car). Here’s a link to it - hope it helps:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-104393/

IowaXKR (07-19-2019)
Old 01-30-2022, 09:39 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Now that! is downright helpful. Thanks.