S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coils: Jag OEM vs Lucas

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Coils: Jag OEM vs Lucas

I have an '03, 3.0 L with 86,000 miles ( 138,403 km), I am going to replace the IMT o rings ( long route) plus replace plugs, etc. ( The coil packs received are 4 pin)

While I am at it, I figured I might as well replace the coil packs, even though I never had issues with them.

I ordered new coil packs assuming they were Jag OEM units, however I received Lucas brand coils.
Should I : Return them, and purchase Jag coils, or use the Lucas ones, or leave well enough alone with the original ones?

I don't know if Lucas improved over the years, but I saw the word Lucas on the box, I laughed! Uh oh.....

Thanks for any replies, much appreciated!

Old 07-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

Lucas the prince of darkness !!
Jag oem or motor craft only .

The following users liked this post:
abonano (07-26-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The dark days of Lucas were over and done several decades ago, just like the bad days of British Leyland and Jaguar.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
The dark days of Lucas were over and done several decades ago, just like the bad days of British Leyland and Jaguar.
I agree. And, personally, I think even the 'dark days' have been a bit over-maligned.. Lots of Lucas stuff is as good or better than any other, IMHO.

One problem from the old days is that penny-pinching Jaguar under-specified some things. I am quite sure Lucas would have happily provided a decent quality window switch, for example, if Jaguar had been willing to pay more than 89-cents each for them

I'm not sure what sort of stuff Lucas actually manufactures (versus label-engineers) these days as there have been SO many buy-outs and mergers. A different electrics manufacturing outfit (Elta, or Elto, or something) uses the Lucas name under license to make most of the traditional automotive stuff. A lot of the lousy Lucas stuff became better but, to be honest, I think some of the good Lucas stuff may have become worse.

Not sure about the Lucas Aerospace stuff.

Sorry for rambling OT.....

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Don B (07-29-2015), EssOess (08-06-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 07:04 AM

Okay......guess I'll stick with the Lucas parts then....?!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 PM
Received 12,741 Likes on 6,382 Posts

Hi Jimmy,

Lucas is now owned by TRW, one of the largest OEMs in the world. As Doug said, these days we really don't know what Lucas actually makes or just brands. I don't know how much you had to pay for the Lucas coils, but I thought I would share my own experience in sourcing coils for our X350.

The original coils on our 4.2L were made by Denso, but I was unable to find Denso replacements from any of the typical vendors. So I ordered samples of the Airtex and Standard Motor Products coils from Rock Auto. The SMP coils appear to be of very good quality, but the Airtex coils are marked FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company), and are less expensive, so those are the ones I've been using to replace coils on our X350 as they fail (3 so far).

Since the Jaguar 3.0L is a version of the Ford Duratech engine, I suspect the Airtex coils for the 3.0L might also be versions made for Ford (Airtex is an OEM to the Big Three and others - my late father finished his auto engineering career there). The Airtex coils are very affordable, with the 4-terminal version currently $33.79 each at Rock Auto. (typical disclaimers)

My strategy has been to replace coils as they fail, but to always have a spare new coil in the trunk, since they always seem to fail when I'm on the road. Eventually all the coils will be replaced. But if you have the available funds to replace all the coils at once, it's probably the best way to preserve optimum performance. Just keep at least one of the original coils as a spare in your trunk breakdown kit.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 07-29-2015 at 08:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
EssOess (08-06-2015), Jimmy 68 (03-15-2016), Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-15-2016)
Old 07-30-2015, 06:01 PM

Thanks Don!

I'll stick with the Lucas coil packs. I bought all six at $38.25 US each. I'll keep the old original ones " just in case"

Good to hear about Airtex. I heard they were an OEM supplier, but I wasn't sure. I bought an Airtex water pump from rockauto last year for $38.00 US, alot cheaper than Jag ($300) although it was just the pump minus volute/housing.

Last edited by Jimmy 68; 07-31-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Don B (07-30-2015)
Old 10-13-2016, 01:30 PM

UPDATE: I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I felt it deserved attention...

Well, 15 months and 17,000 miles later, yesterday the first of the replacement Lucas coils gave up.

Driving home yesterday, almost there when the car was misfiring, shaking etc. then came the intermittent flashing MIL.

P0304, cylinder #4 misfire. Luckily, I decided to keep my old, good working stock OEM Denso coils with 86k miles on them. Swapped out the Lucas for the old OEM, cleared code, problem solved and lesson learned!

I'll probably put my old Denso's back in because new OEM's are $115.00 US at my nearest Jag dealer!

Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-15-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Good enough plan, though some may be shot, worth trying.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Good enough plan, though some may be shot, worth trying.
The old coils were working fine when I took them off at 86,000 miles so I'm sure they'll be okay for awhile.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:25 PM

Hi Jimmy,

FYI, I ordered a few different coils from Rock Auto a couple of years ago to compare their apparent quality. The Airtex Wells 5C1420 coil that I received was marked FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company), suggesting it is the coil Ford uses in its similar engines and might even be the coil Jaguar supplies now that the original Densos are no longer available. So I ordered a few more of them.

I've installed two or three of them on our '04 XJR one at a time as an original Denso has failed and they seem to be working great. The oldest one has been running for probably 2 years now.

The price on these coils fluctuates up and down a few dollars but they are currently $31.79 each at Rock Auto, about the lowest I've paid.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-14-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-15-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

I just got 8 coils from Amazon. The number is REPL504603. I had one go and got Borg Warner from O'Reilly and an autolight plug to get me smooth again. I am replacing the plugs with nkg, coils, valve cover gaskets, and upper tensioners as soon as all the parts come.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What are the symptoms of a failed coil pack? I have a strange issue where when I go to start the vehicle it will cough and sputter, acts like the engine is hitting on maybe two of eight cylinders .. very rough. Then it will die. I let it sit for 10 or so minutes and try to start and it more than likely fires up, and runs perfectly ... some times it will go days and never have an issue starting, then out of the blue it will start like crap ...

Old 10-15-2016, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

That could be any of many problems, with coils unlikely. Please start a NEW thread and FIRST put your car details in (see below).

Don B (01-22-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 10:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Jimmy,

FYI, I ordered a few different coils from Rock Auto a couple of years ago to compare their apparent quality. The Airtex Wells 5C1420 coil that I received was marked FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company), suggesting it is the coil Ford uses in its similar engines and might even be the coil Jaguar supplies now that the original Densos are no longer available. So I ordered a few more of them.

I've installed two or three of them on our '04 XJR one at a time as an original Denso has failed and they seem to be working great. The oldest one has been running for probably 2 years now.

The price on these coils fluctuates up and down a few dollars but they are currently $31.79 each at Rock Auto, about the lowest I've paid.

Cheers,

Don
Hi Don,

Looks like you are running the same coils or similar model to what I'm looking at now on Rock Auto...

Just curious what your thoughts are on the coils RockAuto currently has listed for 2005 S-Type 3.0 (AIRTEX/WELLS 5C1399). Alternative to Jag #C2S42673.

Some other options are from Beck/Arnley, Standard and United Motor Products, Spectra, etc.

2005 JAGUAR S-TYPE 3.0L V6 Ignition Coil | RockAuto

Looking to do plugs, coils, pcv/elbow, plenum/intake manifold gaskets, (IMT o'rings, again since I have green spares) and possibly replace knock sensor to take care of CEL and misfire codes.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2017, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteKitty
Hi Don,

Looks like you are running the same coils or similar model to what I'm looking at now on Rock Auto...

Just curious what your thoughts are on the coils RockAuto currently has listed for 2005 S-Type 3.0 (AIRTEX/WELLS 5C1399). Alternative to Jag #C2S42673.

Some other options are from Beck/Arnley, Standard and United Motor Products, Spectra, etc.

2005 JAGUAR S-TYPE 3.0L V6 Ignition Coil | RockAuto

Looking to do plugs, coils, pcv/elbow, plenum/intake manifold gaskets, (IMT o'rings, again since I have green spares) and possibly replace knock sensor to take care of CEL and misfire codes.
Hi WhiteKitty,

Since I last posted about coils in this thread, in another thread our member Six Rotors has confirmed that he purchased eight coils in Jaguar boxes for his X350, but the coils inside were marked FoMoCo and were the very Airtex Wells 5C1420 I purchased from Rock Auto. So that confirms that Jaguar is now supplying the Airtex Wells coils since the original Densos are no longer available. Jaguar's price per coil is $107 compared to Rock Auto's price of less than $32.

I don't think you can go wrong with those Airtex Wells coils. The company is an original equipment manufacturer for Ford, Chrysler, GM and other automakers, so they're known for quality components.

The first time I ordered coils from Rock Auto, I ordered an Airtex Wells, a Beck/Arnley, and a Standard Motor Products. The B/A and SMP coils were identical and obviously made by the same manufacturer. They were of nice build quality with good heft and nice silicone boots. But since the Airtex Wells coil was marked FoMoCo, I guessed they might be the coils Ford dealers supply for their versions of this V8, and might even be the coils Jaguar dealers were now supplying. Turns out that for once I guessed correctly.

Edit: I forgot to mention that your Jaguar 3.0L V6 shares its basic architecture with the Ford Duratec engine but adds VVT, so that's another reason the Airtex Wells coils will likely be fine.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-22-2017 at 08:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
Doug (01-22-2017), Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-19-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi WhiteKitty,

Since I last posted about coils in this thread, in another thread our member Six Rotors has confirmed that he purchased eight coils in Jaguar boxes for his X350, but the coils inside were marked FoMoCo and were the very Airtex Wells 5C1420 I purchased from Rock Auto. So that confirms that Jaguar is now supplying the Airtex Wells coils since the original Densos are no longer available. Jaguar's price per coil is $107 compared to Rock Auto's price of less than $32.

I don't think you can go wrong with those Airtex Wells coils. The company is an original equipment manufacturer for Ford, Chrysler, GM and other automakers, so they're known for quality components.

The first time I ordered coils from Rock Auto, I ordered an Airtex Wells, a Beck/Arnley, and a Standard Motor Products. The B/A and SMP coils were identical and obviously made by the same manufacturer. They were of nice build quality with good heft and nice silicone boots. But since the Airtex Wells coil was marked FoMoCo, I guessed they might be the coils Ford dealers supply for their versions of this V8, and might even be the coils Jaguar dealers were now supplying. Turns out that for once I guessed correctly.

Edit: I forgot to mention that your Jaguar 3.0L V6 shares its basic architecture with the Ford Duratec engine but adds VVT, so that's another reason the Airtex Wells coils will likely be fine.

Cheers,

Don
Don,

Thank you kindly for your reply and many thanks to Six Rotors for confirming Jaguar's clear usage of Ford/ Airtex coils! I have ordered the Airtex coils since.

I am debating if I should also order and replace the knock sensor (while the manifold is off) as that is one of the codes I recall it threw last time (along with a few misfire codes) or if fresh plugs / coils will take care of what the knock sensor may be picking up. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Old 01-23-2017, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteKitty
I am debating if I should also order and replace the knock sensor (while the manifold is off) as that is one of the codes I recall it threw last time (along with a few misfire codes) or if fresh plugs / coils will take care of what the knock sensor may be picking up. Any ideas?

Off the top of my head, I don't recall many reports of knock sensors (KS's) failing. The diagnostic trouble codes associated with the KS's may have more to do with the wiring harness/electrical circuit than the sensors themselves. For example, if you had coolant leak into the valley it might have contaminated the KS electrical connectors.

The sensors are pretty basic devices - I think they are just piezoelectric crystals that generate a small current in response to mechanical pressure. Capacative filtering in the ECM suppresses signals from normal mechanical vibrations to allow the detection of impulses or knocks caused by detonation or preignition, indicating misfires.

But if the KS's aren't too expensive, this would definitely be the best time to replace them. Just note that for proper operation it is critical that the mounting screws be torqued as closely as possible to 25 Nm / 18 ft. lbs (or whatever the Workshop Manual for your model and year specifies).

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-23-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-19-2017)