Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Engine Detail

 
  #1  
Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 PM
datuttle's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 140
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Engine Detail

I want to clean the grime from the engine and back of the hood, (bonnet) but I am so nervous about getting anything wet under the hood with all of the electronics under there. Does anyone have any helpful tips on this?
Thanks
 
  #2  
Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Glasgow, Scotland UK
Posts: 47,330
Received 8,889 Likes on 4,091 Posts
Default

Engine detailing is cool, always nice when you lift the hood and it sparkles just like the rest of the car.

My 2c worth...........

1. DO NOT use a Jetwash or steamwash obviously
2. You can use a shopping bag / plastic bag to cover any areas of concern such as fuse boxes etc, although personally I've never found it necessary.
3. Do use either a garden hose set on low OR better still get a spray bottle of hot soapy water and another of your favourite APC ( All Purpose Cleaner ) or similar.
4. Gently spray the areas to be cleaned with a little water, followed by a few sprays of your cleaning fluid.
5. Have a 2" paintbrush or similar and work around the affected areas, working in the water / cleaning fluid and agitate.......add water / cleaner and repeat as required.
6. Have a few old microfibres or similar handy to dry off as required.
7. Don't forget the underhood / bonnet area.
7. Personally I like to finish off with some Wet n Black or similar to the plastics, then buff.

Do this and all should be well, its roughly the method I use to clean under my bonnet / hood area usually at every wash. I've never had any issues and that area looks as good as new.

Hope it helps

Jim
 
The following 3 users liked this post by JimC64:
datuttle (02-27-2014), jaguarcraver (03-02-2014), nail18974 (12-27-2014)
  #3  
Old 02-27-2014, 07:03 PM
datuttle's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 140
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
Engine detailing is cool, always nice when you lift the hood and it sparkles just like the rest of the car.

My 2c worth...........

1. DO NOT use a Jetwash or steamwash obviously
2. You can use a shopping bag / plastic bag to cover any areas of concern such as fuse boxes etc, although personally I've never found it necessary.
3. Do use either a garden hose set on low OR better still get a spray bottle of hot soapy water and another of your favourite APC ( All Purpose Cleaner ) or similar.
4. Gently spray the areas to be cleaned with a little water, followed by a few sprays of your cleaning fluid.
5. Have a 2" paintbrush or similar and work around the affected areas, working in the water / cleaning fluid and agitate.......add water / cleaner and repeat as required.
6. Have a few old microfibres or similar handy to dry off as required.
7. Don't forget the underhood / bonnet area.
7. Personally I like to finish off with some Wet n Black or similar to the plastics, then buff.

Do this and all should be well, its roughly the method I use to clean under my bonnet / hood area usually at every wash. I've never had any issues and that area looks as good as new.

Hope it helps

Jim
Thanks Jim, I didn't know how concerned I should be about the electronics. I'll try it Saturday.
 
  #4  
Old 02-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stuart
Posts: 380
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
Engine detailing is cool, always nice when you lift the hood and it sparkles just like the rest of the car.

My 2c worth...........

1. DO NOT use a Jetwash or steamwash obviously
2. You can use a shopping bag / plastic bag to cover any areas of concern such as fuse boxes etc, although personally I've never found it necessary.
3. Do use either a garden hose set on low OR better still get a spray bottle of hot soapy water and another of your favourite APC ( All Purpose Cleaner ) or similar.
4. Gently spray the areas to be cleaned with a little water, followed by a few sprays of your cleaning fluid.
5. Have a 2" paintbrush or similar and work around the affected areas, working in the water / cleaning fluid and agitate.......add water / cleaner and repeat as required.
6. Have a few old microfibres or similar handy to dry off as required.
7. Don't forget the underhood / bonnet area.
7. Personally I like to finish off with some Wet n Black or similar to the plastics, then buff.

Do this and all should be well, its roughly the method I use to clean under my bonnet / hood area usually at every wash. I've never had any issues and that area looks as good as new.

Hope it helps

Jim
Awesome tips Jim. He is absolutely correct. I also like to use:
Pinnacle Signature All Purpose Cleaner
Full strength no dilution

You can use Pinnacle Signature All Purpose Cleaner straight out of the bottle without any diluting for your greasiest, grimiest jobs like engine cleaning. Mist product onto surface and allow to dwell for 30 to 45 seconds. Agitate with a brush to work cleaner into grime and dirt affected areas. Works absolutely amazing

Speed Master Wheel Brush


Detailing Brush Kit


Also Nick from Autogeekonline wrote up a great thread that displays much of the information that Jim mentioned. Check it out:

How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional
 
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by PinnacleWax:
datuttle (03-01-2014), JimC64 (02-28-2014), nail18974 (12-27-2014)
  #5  
Old 02-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Glasgow, Scotland UK
Posts: 47,330
Received 8,889 Likes on 4,091 Posts
Default

Superb Pinnacle & an excellent write up showing exactly what I was talking about in great detail.

Kudos to Pinnacle once again

Thanks
 
  #6  
Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 AM
datuttle's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 140
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PinnacleWax View Post
Awesome tips Jim. He is absolutely correct. I also like to use:
Pinnacle Signature All Purpose Cleaner
Full strength no dilution

You can use Pinnacle Signature All Purpose Cleaner straight out of the bottle without any diluting for your greasiest, grimiest jobs like engine cleaning. Mist product onto surface and allow to dwell for 30 to 45 seconds. Agitate with a brush to work cleaner into grime and dirt affected areas. Works absolutely amazing

Speed Master Wheel Brush


Detailing Brush Kit


Also Nick from Autogeekonline wrote up a great thread that displays much of the information that Jim mentioned. Check it out:

How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional
Going out to find the Pinnacle products today. Cant wait to see the results.
 
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-27-2014)
  #7  
Old 03-01-2014, 04:46 PM
L80ous's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lincolnshire UK
Posts: 379
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Lets see a before and after pic?
 
  #8  
Old 03-02-2014, 06:03 AM
datuttle's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 140
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by L80ous View Post
Lets see a before and after pic?
I'll post pics. The previous owner kept the car immaculate except for the engine. We should see a big difference. I cannot find Pinnacle products anywhere near me on a retail shelf so I guess I will need to order some online. Guess it will have to wait until next weekend.
 
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (03-03-2014)
  #9  
Old 03-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stuart
Posts: 380
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by datuttle View Post
I'll post pics. The previous owner kept the car immaculate except for the engine. We should see a big difference. I cannot find Pinnacle products anywhere near me on a retail shelf so I guess I will need to order some online. Guess it will have to wait until next weekend.
Yea, we only sell our products online. But hey, if you haven't ordered yet, don't forget to use the discount coupon jaguar. Also if you want, you can ask for Andre and I can get you all set up with the best deal possible. Thanks
 
The following 2 users liked this post by PinnacleWax:
datuttle (03-04-2014), JimC64 (03-03-2014)
  #10  
Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 PM
datuttle's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 140
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Had to post some pics here too. Thanks to everyone for their input and product suggestions.
 
Attached Thumbnails Engine Detail-eng-before-1.jpg   Engine Detail-eng-before-2.jpg   Engine Detail-eng-before-3.jpg   Engine Detail-eng-after-1.jpg   Engine Detail-eng-after-2.jpg  

Engine Detail-eng-after-3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (03-11-2014)
  #11  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Glasgow, Scotland UK
Posts: 47,330
Received 8,889 Likes on 4,091 Posts
Default

Great job
 
  #12  
Old 03-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stuart
Posts: 380
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Looks Great Doug
 
The following users liked this post:
datuttle (03-12-2014)
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
dsnyder586
XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 )
55
04-04-2019 02:38 PM
D.K
XF and XFR ( X250 )
37
02-01-2019 01:44 PM
cissdm
X-Type ( X400 )
10
05-03-2016 06:02 AM
scottatl
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
2
09-04-2015 08:08 PM
OkieTim
Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center
2
09-02-2015 12:48 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Detail


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: