Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Engine Detail

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Engine Detail

I want to clean the grime from the engine and back of the hood, (bonnet) but I am so nervous about getting anything wet under the hood with all of the electronics under there. Does anyone have any helpful tips on this?
Thanks

Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Engine detailing is cool, always nice when you lift the hood and it sparkles just like the rest of the car.

My 2c worth...........

1. DO NOT use a Jetwash or steamwash obviously
2. You can use a shopping bag / plastic bag to cover any areas of concern such as fuse boxes etc, although personally I've never found it necessary.
3. Do use either a garden hose set on low OR better still get a spray bottle of hot soapy water and another of your favourite APC ( All Purpose Cleaner ) or similar.
4. Gently spray the areas to be cleaned with a little water, followed by a few sprays of your cleaning fluid.
5. Have a 2" paintbrush or similar and work around the affected areas, working in the water / cleaning fluid and agitate.......add water / cleaner and repeat as required.
6. Have a few old microfibres or similar handy to dry off as required.
7. Don't forget the underhood / bonnet area.
7. Personally I like to finish off with some Wet n Black or similar to the plastics, then buff.

Do this and all should be well, its roughly the method I use to clean under my bonnet / hood area usually at every wash. I've never had any issues and that area looks as good as new.

Hope it helps

Jim

The following 3 users liked this post by JimC64:
datuttle (02-27-2014), jaguarcraver (03-02-2014), nail18974 (12-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Engine detailing is cool, always nice when you lift the hood and it sparkles just like the rest of the car.

My 2c worth...........

2. You can use a shopping bag / plastic bag to cover any areas of concern such as fuse boxes etc, although personally I've never found it necessary.
3. Do use either a garden hose set on low OR better still get a spray bottle of hot soapy water and another of your favourite APC ( All Purpose Cleaner ) or similar.
4. Gently spray the areas to be cleaned with a little water, followed by a few sprays of your cleaning fluid.
5. Have a 2" paintbrush or similar and work around the affected areas, working in the water / cleaning fluid and agitate.......add water / cleaner and repeat as required.
7. Personally I like to finish off with some Wet n Black or similar to the plastics, then buff.

Do this and all should be well, its roughly the method I use to clean under my bonnet / hood area usually at every wash. I've never had any issues and that area looks as good as new.

Hope it helps

Jim
Thanks Jim, I didn't know how concerned I should be about the electronics. I'll try it Saturday.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

My 2c worth...........

Hope it helps

Jim
Awesome tips Jim. He is absolutely correct. I also like to use:
Pinnacle Signature All Purpose Cleaner
Full strength – no dilution

You can use Pinnacle Signature All Purpose Cleaner straight out of the bottle without any diluting for your greasiest, grimiest jobs like engine cleaning. Mist product onto surface and allow to dwell for 30 to 45 seconds. Agitate with a brush to work cleaner into grime and dirt affected areas. Works absolutely amazing

Speed Master Wheel Brush

Detailing Brush Kit

Also Nick from Autogeekonline wrote up a great thread that displays much of the information that Jim mentioned. Check it out:

How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional

Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by PinnacleWax:
datuttle (03-01-2014), JimC64 (02-28-2014), nail18974 (12-27-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Superb Pinnacle & an excellent write up showing exactly what I was talking about in great detail.

Kudos to Pinnacle once again

Thanks

Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by PinnacleWax
Awesome tips Jim. He is absolutely correct. I also like to use:
Pinnacle Signature All Purpose Cleaner
Full strength – no dilution

You can use Pinnacle Signature All Purpose Cleaner straight out of the bottle without any diluting for your greasiest, grimiest jobs like engine cleaning. Mist product onto surface and allow to dwell for 30 to 45 seconds. Agitate with a brush to work cleaner into grime and dirt affected areas. Works absolutely amazing

Speed Master Wheel Brush

Detailing Brush Kit

Also Nick from Autogeekonline wrote up a great thread that displays much of the information that Jim mentioned. Check it out:

How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional
Going out to find the Pinnacle products today. Cant wait to see the results.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-27-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Lets see a before and after pic?

Old 03-02-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by L80ous
Lets see a before and after pic?
I'll post pics. The previous owner kept the car immaculate except for the engine. We should see a big difference. I cannot find Pinnacle products anywhere near me on a retail shelf so I guess I will need to order some online. Guess it will have to wait until next weekend.

JimC64 (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by datuttle
I'll post pics. The previous owner kept the car immaculate except for the engine. We should see a big difference. I cannot find Pinnacle products anywhere near me on a retail shelf so I guess I will need to order some online. Guess it will have to wait until next weekend.
Yea, we only sell our products online. But hey, if you haven't ordered yet, don't forget to use the discount coupon jaguar. Also if you want, you can ask for Andre and I can get you all set up with the best deal possible. Thanks

The following 2 users liked this post by PinnacleWax:
datuttle (03-04-2014), JimC64 (03-03-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 PM

Had to post some pics here too. Thanks to everyone for their input and product suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails Engine Detail-eng-before-1.jpg   Engine Detail-eng-before-2.jpg   Engine Detail-eng-before-3.jpg   Engine Detail-eng-after-1.jpg   Engine Detail-eng-after-2.jpg  

Engine Detail-eng-after-3.jpg  
JimC64 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Great job

Old 03-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Looks Great Doug