E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Series 1 tail lights adapted to Series 2 E-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Series 1 tail lights adapted to Series 2 E-Type?

Can E-Type Series 1 tail lights be adapted to either above or below the Series 2 bumpers?

I have a 1969 USA Series 2 E-Type. I have a Series 1 bonnet on the front. I would like Series 1 tail lights on the rear.

Last edited by GGG; 02-07-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Apply correction from OP's Post #2 and delete post
Old 02-07-2019, 12:49 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum XLRateMe,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to E-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help. I've also applied your correction to the original post to avoid confusion.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 02-07-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Default Appreciation

Thanks. I hope someone has attempted such a modification.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:04 AM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I've seen it done before on some restoration pics on the E-type UK forum. So it is possible, not sure how difficult it might be.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

I'm having something similar done, it requires a fabricator and you'll want it done in metal or your'll have issues. I'd post pictures but mine isn't done yet. I also decided to use Mark10 tail lights because they are the same general design just bigger (I'm a big fan of not being hit from the rear and we do get fog up where I live). Post pictures (I'm doing the same) when done and best of luck!

Old 08-21-2020, 12:16 AM

Yes, I have done this modification to my Series 2 FHC. I never liked the "flat" rear end because of the larger Lotus lights. My Jag mechanic in Denton, TX did the modification. No welding was done. A minimum of rivets. The original chrome center piece was flipped over. Two stainless steel pieces were fabricated to cover the large tail light holes for the original lights. I also cleaned up the look of the rear by deleting the two reverse lights. LEDs were installed above the plate. The plate was raise about an inch. Ansa styled tips were added to the exhaust giving a more stout look.

Profile showing S1 bonnet and tapered rear profile using S1 tail lights.

This shot shows integration of S1 tail lights.

Looking "down" on the rear end. S1 lights are half the height as original lights.

Ansa styled exhaust tips

My intent was to restyle the "flat" tail light treatment of the S2. I wanted to keep the continuous curved bumper.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:11 AM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow! That came out looking better than I thought it would.
I wonder how would the rear end look without the center bumper piece.
Enjoy your car and stay safe.
Bill.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:47 AM
Default Modifications to my '69 Series 2 FHC

Thanks, Bill! If I continue to customize the back end, I might consider recessing the plate as in S1. I might just leave well enough alone. It looks pretty unique as it is. My intent was to give back the torpedo-tapered tail as the S1. When I purchased the car in 2001, the S1 bonnet was part of the car. I loved it, even though a purest would scoff at it, I didn't care. Anyway, if it were an original S1, I would feel compelled to keep it totally original. Having the customization started for me, I took it as a license to do more. My finned crinkle 1969 cam covers have been polished, (like S1), adding to the unique look under the bonnet. Chromed high output alternator. Sanyo AC compressor. Electronic ignition. Ansa styled exhaust tips. Interior wise, I added a Nardi steering wheel. I like the thicker wooden wheel. I found (on eBay) a British guy in Florida who made me three Burl Walnut trim pieces. 2 door caps & the center gauge cluster. I don't understand why nice woodwork was not an option by Jaguar. Maybe to keep the cost down. Modern 4 speaker Sony stereo. To make it look vintage, I added hemispherically-pressed British coins to the volume knob & lighter. A kill switch has been installed in place of the "dummy" rocker that was meant for the rear window defroster, which my car does not have. I fabricated a storage tray under the steering wheel with matching "filler piece" on the passenger end of the dash. I made insulation panels for both footwells to keep the heat out. Works well; AC is more efficient now. I bought a GM console pillow that matches my interior. It caps the original pillow which I thought was too low for my elbow. It is NOT permanently attached. Drink holder by GM resides between the console pillow & the storage panel lift clip. No screws. My car may not be Concours, but, IT'S MINE! Thanks for listening. Stay safe.

Custom "filler" under dash piece used to hide AC fan housing.

Burl walnut on door cap and center gauge cluster.

My custom dead pedal. It is attached to an existing bolt on the floor board. You don't want to attach it to the side, there are wires under the vinyl.

The finished side. I covered the panel with perforated toolbox drawer liner.

Insulation foam used to insulate footwell heat. My car has air conditioning. This made a BIG difference.

Done deal!
I also added a third brake light that is mounted under the rear window. Windows are tinted.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 05:48 PM

Hi XLRateme,
The car looks good. Please post a photo of the engine compartment. I'd like to see what the polished finned cam covers look like. I am restoring a 68 coupe that also has the finned cam covers. When the engine was done I went with series one smooth covers. But the polished finned covers sound interesting.
Good job.
Bill.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:04 PM
Default Polished Series 2 cam covers

I have 2 photos (not the best quality). My car is in the shop for a transmission oil change. I will post a better photo in the future when I get the car back next week.

Series 2 polished cam covers.

Series 2 engine bay
The black crinkle finish of the cam covers has been polished off. The black was retained in the horizontal fins.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:10 PM
Default Decision to Polish Original Cam Covers

Initially, I wanted to replace my covers with Series One smooth covers. My mechanic, Richard Wright, had a Mk 2 that he had polished the finned covers. That sold me! How often do you see a S2 E with polished original finned covers? Never. That just adds to the uniqueness of my modified S2. Besides, the S1 covers are not as stout as the S2 finned covers. The S1 covers, over time, tend to stress and crack.
Even though, Bill, I am envious of your polished S1 covers. What great jewelry.

Old 08-22-2020, 07:36 AM

XLRateMe,
I really like the whole S1 vibe in the engine bay. Gold painted head, trim carb set up and the polished finned cam covers. Those covers really look good polished.
You have have added the try carbs as I am doing now as part of the restoration. I am personalizing some things, and modifying others for the sake of safety and for improved drivability and enjoyment.
About your AC system. How well, or how much does it really cool? My car had a dealer installed AC that I have been planning to put it back in the car with a modern rotary compressor. We live in Florida and it would make the car a lot more enjoyable. But...I keep wondering if it is really worth putting it back in the car.
Bill.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:45 AM

I live in Plano, TX. Pretty warm in the summers. If I drive in the mornings, I roll the window down & drive w/o the AC on. I just like the sound of the car! Yes, I do run the AC, but probably only about 40% of my driving time. There is no vent on the driver's side. Modern cars with AC have spoiled us vintage car owners with AC! At maximum cold & fan on high, the air does cool the cabin, but only with a 50% breeze compared to my 2017 GTI! Would I go to all the trouble of reinstalling one? That's a toss up. How much driving are you going to do? How long will your Jag jaunts be? 10 miles vs 100 miles? It's all situational, in my opinion. If my car did not have factory air, I would have to think very hard asking myself do I really need it? I hate to sound hypocritical, but if you asked me, Are you glad you have AC in your E? I would have to say yes.

To keep the cabin heat down, I fashioned those insulation panels and stuffed insulation under the dash where ever I could. It made a big difference. This would even help out a car without the AC.

By the way, the installation of the modern freon required using double clamps at all connections to prevent freon loss. Take care. PS, I'd love to see photos of your car. I am assuming it is a S1.5 FHC. I have a Jag Club who has a 1.5 in Merrit Island, FL. Restored & running. He showed me something I have never seen in any book, and I have lots: Jaguar included with the cars a vinyl covered foot board for the passenger side, allowing the passenger to better brace their legs! My mechanic, Richard Wright, of Denton, TX had two of them! One was a perfect match to my beige vinyl.